IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

On 28/09/2018 at 08:08, holystove said:

Replace Corbyn with Starmer, get rid of Abbott and McDonnell and Labour would have a lot more traction with middle of the ground voters.. the ones that gave Blair his huge majorities.

Tbh, I don't see how there is going to be a new election before 2022.  Tories wouldn't dare risk a Corbyn government by calling one now.

This.

35 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If Labour had a proper leader they would be destroying the Tories in the polls. The Tories couldnt be in a worse position at the moment. Hell even if the Lib Dems had a Clegg or Kennedy at the helm they could have potentially take a large swell of voters from the main 2 parties. 

Vince Cable is way more of an attraction than Clegg or Kennedy imo; old school who'd put the country ahead of personal ambition.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Vince Cable is way more of an attraction than Clegg or Kennedy imo; old school who'd put the country ahead of personal ambition.

Really? Lib Dems need young and new voters and I dont see why anyone would vote for Cable. He is old (for a modern day elected PM), uncharasmatic and he was a part of the disasterous (for the Lib Dems) coalition. 

I do mean a heyday Clegg or Kennedy not a nowaday version! 

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

Bailey is right mate Vince Cable is far too old to be a serious contender to win the minds and hearts of most of the population, he's even to old for me and I'm 59 a very young 59 if I may add.

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

Really? Lib Dems need young and new voters and I dont see why anyone would vote for Cable. He is old (for a modern day elected PM), uncharasmatic and he was a part of the disasterous (for the Lib Dems) coalition. 

I do mean a heyday Clegg or Kennedy not a nowaday version! 

He's dead.

• 2 weeks later...

Some "could be worse off" under universal credit, admits Esther McVey - but Work and Pensions Secretary says benefits changes are helping more people into work

maybe I am going deaf or daft but I never heard her say that, I heard that people are going into work and therefore will not need the same level of benefits not the same thing at all. I really wish journalists would post/print/broadcast accurately, if they did that we would not be in the political death throes that brexit has put some people in and we may all agree on whether we should remain. we need good honest reporting and screw political alliances between parties and media.

41 minutes ago, rubecula said:

I really wish journalists would post/print/broadcast accurately

Their job wold be easier if politicians did likewise. The media is heavily weighted to the right unfortunately, UC is criminal, forcing people who aren't capable of work into applying for work they have no chance of getting/doing. Total fucking disgrace.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45824590

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

That's annoying. Should've been a link to Cadbury making more profits than every yet paying nothing in tax (they even managed to get a credit!) 

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/opinion/cadbury-care-workers-and-the-conservative-party-con/15/10/

sounds like every american company.  and yet the bailey's of the world want to give them more bailouts and tax cuts and make the people pay more.  madness.  people > companies

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

sounds like every american company.  and yet the bailey's of the world want to give them more bailouts and tax cuts and make the people pay more.  madness.  people > companies

Cadbury was bought out by Kraft in a hostile takeover a few years back

nothing really to do with Cadbury I feel, more likely to be Kraft skimming off the top.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Like Owen Jones a lot.

Little unsure on him myself he seemed to be on the anti Corbyn bandwagon and then changed his tune when he saw supporting him as an opportunity to increase his own name, well that or he genuinely had a change of heart. Agree with a lot he says but just don't know if he's genuine or just a career journalist. 

https://order-order.com/2017/06/12/10-times-owen-jones-betrayed-corbyn/

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Little unsure on him myself he seemed to be on the anti Corbyn bandwagon and then changed his tune when he saw supporting him as an opportunity to increase his own name, well that or he genuinely had a change of heart. Agree with a lot he says but just don't know if he's genuine or just a career journalist. 

https://order-order.com/2017/06/12/10-times-owen-jones-betrayed-corbyn/

Just going by what I've seen of him, wasn't aware of any history between him and Corbyn. Also I don't see how...

“Jeremy Corbyn, a person who will never win a British general election… I know him personally and I know he never wanted to be leader; It was presented as a sense of obligation. He never anticipated this result and now leads the party without having any experience.” (Contexto y Accion, November 2016)

...can be used as an example of a "betrayal". It's an opinion.