IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

When I went in before to vote (Labour) some old farts 70+ were talking outside giving each other their collective votes and all I heard was Conservative's which baffled me tbh

Another said well I've nothing better to do we are retired but then moaned about the lack of lighting in the place and moaned that their taxes were paying for the room for the day and demanded it be fully lit I had to bite my tongue

When I went in before to vote (Labour) some old farts 70+ were talking outside giving each other their collective votes and all I heard was Conservative's which baffled me tbh

Another said well I've nothing better to do we are retired but then moaned about the lack of lighting in the place and moaned that their taxes were paying for the room for the day and demanded it be fully lit I had to bite my tongue

I wonder how many voted out of habit rather than actually understood the parties

Can I just get my apology in early here; being two hours ahead of UK time the polls won't be closing 'til midnight for me. Between now and then we'll go out for a meal and I'll have a Mythos or two, then perhaps a drop of Metaxa or Ouzo, so if I'm talking complete bollocks later on (even more than normal) then please forgive me :).

I thank you.

You enjoy yourself Mike and don't worry were fight for your future and rights, just sit back and take it easy.

And by the way apology not excerpted. Lol

when can i expect to start seeing some results? i'm on the other side of the pond so your middle of the evening is my dinner time.

In about an hour and a quarter (23.00 GMT) as soon as the polls close the joint ITV/Sky/BBC exit poll prediction will be announced. Last two elections they've been pretty much spot on so it should be a good guide. Actual results will start to come in around an hour later (strangely it's the one thing in the country where Sunderland usually come first :P).

It's a real shame that the Liberal Democrats never seem to achieve critical mass. My views have always been most in line with theirs, and I've always been disappointed that they never achieve a real breakthrough.

You know as well as I Steve that that's down to our electoral system; I'm of the same political persuasion and have been for forty years but the Liberals, the Lib/SDP aliiance and latterly the Lib Dems have never achieved the representation their popular support has warranted because of the "first past the post" system. That's not going to change because the status quo favours the big two; turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

In about an hour and a quarter (23.00 GMT) as soon as the polls close the joint ITV/Sky/BBC exit poll prediction will be announced. Last two elections they've been pretty much spot on so it should be a good guide. Actual results will start to come in around an hour later (strangely it's the one thing in the country where Sunderland usually come first :P).

You know as well as I Steve that that's down to our electoral system; I'm of the same political persuasion and have been for forty years but the Liberals, the Lib/SDP aliiance and latterly the Lib Dems have never achieved the representation their popular support has warranted because of the "first past the post" system. That's not going to change because the status quo favours the big two; turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

thanks mike i'm excited to see the results after following this thread, i've enjoyed the debate.

I remember well the election in 1983. The results were:

Conservatives won 42.4% of the vote, leading to 397 seats in parliament

Labour won 27.6% of the vote, leading to 209 seats in parliament

The Liberals/Social Democrats won 25.4% of the vote, leading to 23 seats in parliament

The seats were completely out of whack with votes - as you say, because of the way the system works. The Liberals came second almost everywhere, and you get no seats for coming second.

Let me make a prediction before the first polls come out: The Conservatives will win the same number of seats (+/-5) as they currently have. In effect, no change. Labour will gain a handful of seats from the Scottish Nationalists, and the Lib Dems will gain 2 seats. That's it.

Edited by Cornish Steve

who are the tories going to try and woo to form a coalition govenment? who usually links up with the labour party? i'm trying to do the numbers based on the exit polls.

Nobody has the numbers to form one other than the SNP if the figures are right, and the SNP never will. May will resign, Tories will form pointless minority government briefly and then we'll have to do it all again.

Nobody has the numbers to form one other than the SNP if the figures are right, and the SNP never will. May will resign, Tories will form minority government briefly and then we'll have to do it all again.

thanks mike for the explanation. well if true, a big win for the liberals. also bravo to the one current green party MP, i just saw they only have one on the parliaments website.

Guest rusty747

Nobody has the numbers to form one other than the SNP if the figures are right, and the SNP never will. May will resign, Tories will form pointless minority government briefly and then we'll have to do it all again.

Have to agree with you. Even if May sneaks over the line with a narrow overall majority she has lost a lot of credibility.

thanks mike for the explanation. well if true, a big win for the liberals. also bravo to the one current green party MP, i just saw they only have one on the parliaments website.

Caroline Lucas is a great woman, held a seat in Brighton for a while now.

Guest rusty747

Early days yet but it looks like UKIP have taken a beating (as expected) and their votes are being split between Labour and Conservative, roughly in line with how the constituencies voted on brexit.

There is also the issue of postal votes which have not (I believe) been able to be included in the exit poll. In short, there is a lot of potential error in the exit poll.

Edited by rusty747

Early days yet but it looks like UKIP have taken a beating (as expected) and their votes are being split between Labour and Conservative, roughly in line with how the constituencies voted on brexit.

There is also the issue of postal votes which have not (I believe) been able to be included in the exit poll. In short, there is a lot of potential error in the exit poll.

Indeed, that's one of the reasons why I'm still nervous. 2.00am now, I was expecting to be in bed depressed by this time but the hope has kept me up (sadly the Metaxa has run out).