IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

35 minutes ago, Bill said:

I have no argument against them reporting it to the police that should be the done thing, but after the police had been and found nothing to worry about that should have been it finished.

To find that they not only taped it but  then gave it to a Newspaper for either some money or just to get some publicity for themselves, a bit mercenary if you ask me and not somebody I would class as "good Neighbours".

Don't think they done it for money as they can afford to live in ear shot of a politician in London and the guardian wouldn't be forking over that much for it, and it wasn't for the publicity as they weren't named.

Their neighbour is in the running to be next PM and as far as evidence suggest the police would have covered it up had the neighbours not made a recording and went the Guardian. Any potential Prime minister should be scrutinised. This is potentially the bloke who's job it will be to go into Brussels and negotiate a Brexit deal, doesn't bode well if he can't manage an argument with the Mrs without the police getting called out. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/22/neighbour-who-called-police-over-boris-johnson-row-goes-public

I suppose the neighbours are the type to spend all day listening with a glass stuck against the wall.

Stand up any couple who have never had a ding dong argument with their wives, if I was Boris I would get their next door home bugged and send everything I heard to all the papers. Its not as though I'm a Boris lover but People like that are the lowest of the low for me.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I suppose the neighbours are the type to spend all day listening with a glass stuck against the wall.

Stand up any couple who have never had a ding dong argument with their wives, if I was Boris I would get their next door home bugged and send everything I heard to all the papers. Its not as though I'm a Boris lover but People like that are the lowest of the low for me.

They didn't need a glass, they were that loud he was able to record the argument through the walls. He's even gone to knock to check it was just an argument after getting concerned about hearing a woman shout get off me. They never answered, and personally in that situation I'd start thinking the worse at that point rape/murder or god knows. A judge has supported their actions and so have the police as a lot of domestic abuse cases are opened following reports from neighbours. 

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

They didn't need a glass, they were that loud he was able to record the argument through the walls. He's even gone to knock to check it was just an argument after getting concerned about hearing a woman shout get off me. They never answered, and personally in that situation I'd start thinking the worse at that point rape/murder or god knows. A judge has supported their actions and so have becausethe police as a lot of domestic abuse cases are opened following reports from neighbours. 

Pete as in my previous post I have no problem with them reporting to the police good on them, but because the police thought there was nothing to worry about, they then go on to produce a tape and put it out to the media. Sick fuckers.

Edit ....... That's my last comment Pete.

There have been criticisms on this thread of the method of appointing a new Conservative Leader/PM.  Compared to the charade of the appointments to senior roles in the EU, the Conservative method was sobriety itself.  As usual, all the key decisions in the EU are made by the unelected elite, behind closed doors. Even the EU Parliament have to sit and watch.

3 hours ago, johnh said:

There have been criticisms on this thread of the method of appointing a new Conservative Leader/PM.  Compared to the charade of the appointments to senior roles in the EU, the Conservative method was sobriety itself.  As usual, all the key decisions in the EU are made by the unelected elite, behind closed doors. Even the EU Parliament have to sit and watch.

Can’t and won’t argue with you this time, although the same can still be said for the Torys 

On 05/07/2019 at 15:39, johnh said:

As usual, all the key decisions in the EU are made by the unelected elite, behind closed doors. Even the EU Parliament have to sit and watch.

1/ Leaders of government of all EU member states propose the new Commission president.  Why would you call them unelected?

2/ The EU Parliament has to approve the entire Commission.  This is not a given.

I understand Matt not wanting to argue, because it is sometimes about point of view if you want to describe something as democratic or not.   But to call leaders of government (including your own PM) 'unelected elite' is baffling.

1 hour ago, holystove said:

1/ Leaders of government of all EU member states propose the new Commission president.  Why would you call them unelected?

2/ The EU Parliament has to approve the entire Commission.  This is not a given.

I understand Matt not wanting to argue, because it is sometimes about point of view if you want to describe something as democratic or not.   But to call leaders of government (including your own PM) 'unelected elite' is baffling.

The commissioners are not directly elected by the people, unlike MEPs, so I can see John's point.

17 minutes ago, Formby said:

What? Don't citizens elect representatives in representative democracies? 

Yes, the people vote for a representative. They don’t get a say in the structure of the government. I don’t see how this is any different. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes, the people vote for a representative. They don’t get a say in the structure of the government. I don’t see how this is any different. 

Well, the difference is right there, isn't it? People do get to choose a representative (in RD) whereas they don't with EU commissioners. You may argue the eventual outcome is the same (although I'm not sure about that) or that it pays a lip service to democracy (it isn't direct democracy, after all),  but that's a different argument.  

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

I thought I read somewhere else that the Tory’s lost the majority with this seat, but the BBC saying they hold it by one? Either way, surely another snap election is on the cards?

I don't think that the Tories can legally call one again under the new Fixed Parliaments Act, but they could always change the rules I guess. The only way an election happens early as it stands is if Johnston loses a confidence vote and the only person who can call one and have it guaranteed to happen is the Leader of Her Majesty's Opposition, Corbyn.

As they're on recess until 3rd Sept nothing will happen before then. Probably the Tories would like one sooner than later as the new leadership "bounce" is still in effect, Corbyn's timing will be crucial. He's already said he's going to call the vote but won't say when.

Think that's all correct but I'm no expert so feel free to correct any errors I've made.

More hilarity.

Tories accuse LibDems of "playing dirty" by doing a deal with PC and the Greens to be the only leave party standing while Tories doing deal with DUP numpties to prop up their minority government is fine.

Second, news outlets (including the notoriously left wing BBC:rolleyes:) reporting that "pro-Brexit" parties won when you add up the tory and brexit vote, conveniently ignoring the fact that 40% of Conservatives voted to remain in the referendum; so calling the Tories a pro party is fantasy.