IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

Integrity is not much good if it is accompanied by poor judgement. If Corbyn won, we would have Diane Abbott as Home Secretary. The mind boggles.

This is what I fear with him, any sane person wouldn't have her within miles of the front line of any party especially at such an important time

Integrity is not much good if it is accompanied by poor judgement. If Corbyn won, we would have Diane Abbott as Home Secretary. The mind boggles.

No guarantee of that, just because she's shadow doesn't necessarily mean she'd get the job in the event of a Labour win.

(Personally I think Screaming Lord Sutch would be a step up from Johnson though, and he's been dead for nearly twenty years)

Johnson isn't responsible for security of the country though. Abbott refused to answer the question 'are you proud to be British'. The chances of Corbyn not appointing her Home Secretary are zero. She is, after all, an 'ex' of Corbyn, which in itself speaks volumes about his 'judgement', (not to mention 'eyesight'). If it ever comes about, I will be investing in a survival bunker.

Johnson isn't responsible for security of the country though. Abbott refused to answer the question 'are you proud to be British'. The chances of Corbyn not appointing her Home Secretary are zero. She is, after all, an 'ex' of Corbyn, which in itself speaks volumes about his 'judgement', (not to mention 'eyesight'). If it ever comes about, I will be investing in a survival bunker.

Survival bunker v May as PM? Tough one.

I'll take the survival bunker.

I'd have a huge problem answering the, "Are you proud to be British?" question just now. Actually I wouldn't, it'd be a flat out "no".

Actually (third edit) on reflection yes I am proud to be British but I'm ashamed of a very significant proportion of my countrymen, so it's a dilemma. Probably similar to the anti-Trump Americans.

When I'm abroad and get asked by someone where I come from, usually Americans because they seem to think with my accent that I'm Australian, which is understandable because most of English dialogue they hear from this country on their televisions, is what I call the newsreaders accent.

Anyway when I'm asked I never refer to myself as coming from the UK or being British, I always say I'm from England or I'm English, in all fairness Britain isn't United there are probably just as many people in the four countries that make up the UK who want independence for their country from the union, so I'm not proud to be British but I am to be English.

When I'm abroad and get asked by someone where I come from, usually Americans because they seem to think with my accent that I'm Australian, which is understandable because most of English dialogue they hear from this country on their televisions, is what I call the newsreaders accent.

Anyway when I'm asked I never refer to myself as coming from the UK or being British, I always say I'm from England or I'm English, in all fairness Britain isn't United there are probably just as many people in the four countries that make up the UK who want independence for their country from the union, so I'm not proud to be British but I am to be English.

Also a lot of the "English" accents are actually American actors doing an English accent, which is usually half English half Australian. Truth be told I can barely tell the difference. I can't tell the difference between an Indian accent and Pakistani one either, maybe you English can since they used to be part of the empire.

Tell you what. Some brits can nail the American accent, idris Elba in the wire I thought he was from Baltimore I saw him on a talk show and thought how in the hell? I thought he was joking until I looked it up. Hell of an actor there.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Also a lot of the "English" accents are actually American actors doing an English accent, which is usually half English half Australian. Truth be told I can barely tell the difference. I can't tell the difference between an Indian accent and Pakistani one either, maybe you English can since they used to be part of the empire.

Tell you what. Some brits can nail the American accent, idris Elba in the wire I thought he was from Baltimore I saw him on a talk show and thought how in the hell? I thought he was joking until I looked it up. Hell of an actor there.

To be honest Mark if an Indian and a Pakistani had a conversation with me I wouldn't have a clue which was which based solely on their accents, can you tell the difference from all of the American accents from the Canadian accent, if someone from Seattle spoke to me they may as well come from Vancouver to me they would sound the same.

I like the way the Lib Dem guys talks. Jezza for me everyday.

He was quite close to corbyn on a lot of things.... he spoke a lot of sense.

Corbyn is pure class though. Ive always been pretty much apolitical...rudd is detestable.

Anyone think Labour can do it?

My forecast is a Tory 60 seat majority.

Yeah, that seems perfectly normal where they are expected to garner about 43% of the vote. /sarcasmo

0_o

Say what you like about the Electoral College system at least it evens up the field a bit between the haves and the have less.

The thought of the Lib Dems having any sort of power again after being little bitches to the Conservatives last time out pisses me off, but the Conservatives being in total power again is scary, so I'd find a way to be ok with it if a deal was needed to be made!

Have this discussion with my wife all the time because she's of the same opinion, while I maintain that the Lib Dems being in bed with them curbed their worst excesses during that parliament (at great cost to themselves). The Tories have been infinitely worse since they got their overall majority in 2015.

Have this discussion with my wife all the time because she's of the same opinion, while I maintain that the Lib Dems being in bed with them curbed their worst excesses during that parliament (at great cost to themselves). The Tories have been infinitely worse since they got their overall majority in 2015.

I suppose I just feel a bit betrayed by them, Mike, because I voted for them on that occasion. If I hadn't then I'd probably not feel animosity towards them. As it is I will never vote for them again.

I suppose I just feel a bit betrayed by them, Mike, because I voted for them on that occasion. If I hadn't then I'd probably not feel animosity towards them. As it is I will never vote for them again.

Fair enough, it's a widely held opinion even in my house; although pretty sure my wife didn't actually vote for them back then, she's always Labour or Green.

Same here, I was a student at the time and they promised the earth to students, but Mike is right with the "they curbed the Tories". If they get 5 more years of full control then god help us all, or will they that too?

My forecast is a Tory 60 seat majority.

Wouldnt the best result for the Conservative Party be a small majority? Big enough to govern alone but small enough to undermine May and get a better party leader?

Surely, if the Tory majority is smaller than they have now, this is on her and she has to go.

Wouldnt the best result for the Conservative Party be a small majority? Big enough to govern alone but small enough to undermine May and get a better party leader?

Surely, if the Tory majority is smaller than they have now, this is on her and she has to go.

Who's better than may? They're all useless silver spoon cunts.

Who's better than may? They're all useless silver spoon cunts.

Conservative Party is big enough to have at least a few capable people? Even if you disagree with someone from a political point of view, you can still respect their intellectual capabilities.

This Paris Agreement thing (where every other First World leader has, at the very least, expressed regret over Trumps decision) is another indication that she doesn't have what it takes to be PM. Events happen too quickly for her, she needs too much time to think and can therefor only express herself in meaningless, hollow ways.

Edited by holystove