IGNORED

Gambling and the Premier League

Looking at this about two years ago, I was amazed to learn that almost every team in the Premier League has a sponsorship deal of some sort with a betting companies. In fact, several of these companies sponsor multiple teams. They aren't always the main sponsor, for sure, but they're a sponsor nonetheless.

The Secret Footballer (Dave Kitson incase anyone was wondering) kicked off about it yesterday saying its not a noble act, they've done it to cover their own back. He reckons alcoholism is much much worse in football than gambling and that many more players suffer from that.

The Secret Footballer (Dave Kitson incase anyone was wondering) kicked off about it yesterday saying its not a noble act, they've done it to cover their own back. He reckons alcoholism is much much worse in football than gambling and that many more players suffer from that.

Alcoholism is rife full stop.

Put simply.... a human being is expected to take an addictive drug for much of the adult life... moderately. When the body gets used to increased levels of that drug which happens when a person does things like holidays, weddings, birthdays etc they are supposed to find a way of not letting it ruin their life.... imagine having a conversation like this.... "looking forward to the weekend.... Gonna shoot up some heroin on Friday and Saturday.... Sunday will get up go the gym and sweat it out"

"What about the quiz night on Wednesday?"

"Yeah probably just draw up a smaller shot"

I know that seems extreme but the principles are the same. Society promotes the use of an addictive dangerous drug yet those who become addicted are seen as broken individuals.

I've done a fair bit of research into the mechanism of addiction and it is curable. Sadly like mental health in general.. this is somehow seen as a weakness on the part of the individual.

I believe there will be a huge number of financially comfortable ex professionals who fall into addiction. The endorphin rush they got as a player is no longer there.they need to replace it.

I written this before, and I know it's controversial, but there's no culture in the world that glorifies drinking more than Britain. When Brits fly to the US for a business meeting, the first conversation is inevitably about beer. The moment the meeting is over? Time to go for a drink. What funny stories are told? Those times when they got completely sloshed. As far as I'm aware, this obsession with drinking does not exist in other cultures, and I've traveled to a lot of places. For sure, they drink heavily in Russia, for example, but it doesn't dominate conversations and all aspects of life.

So may beer companies should be banned from sponsoring teams. That puts us in even more trouble, though.

I written this before, and I know it's controversial, but there's no culture in the world that glorifies drinking more than Britain. When Brits fly to the US for a business meeting, the first conversation is inevitably about beer. The moment the meeting is over? Time to go for a drink. What funny stories are told? Those times when they got completely sloshed. As far as I'm aware, this obsession with drinking does not exist in other cultures, and I've traveled to a lot of places. For sure, they drink heavily in Russia, for example, but it doesn't dominate conversations and all aspects of life.

So may beer companies should be banned from sponsoring teams. That puts us in even more trouble, though.

I'd say British culture has gone to shit because of the lack of it. You go in a pub now and there's no one in there, and it had adversely effected the atmosphere in work places. Drinking is great outlet for people to bond over or get past shit. Without it, well, just look at the country now.

Coffee and energy drinks probable do more harm to the people over here now. Everyone's too tired and cranky to even speak to their neighbours.

Edited by pete0

• 2 years later...