IGNORED

Origin of Premier League

As an American who only started paying attention to football in the late 1990s, I was unaware of any of this story 20 years ago. For that matter, I was mostly ignorant of it until 20 minutes ago!

But I'll guess some of you know lots or some of this story, and might find this article a pleasant (or unpleasant?) stroll down memory lane.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/23/deceit-determination-murdochs-millions-how-premier-league-was-born

Interesting opinion I found...

"The Premier League is just a world league held in England while the Championship is the real English league.
The Premier League is majority foreign owned or thereabouts, majority are foreign managers and about 70% are foreign players. Added with the fact of the millions around the world watching on TV its hardly the English League anymore really. Just English clubs'
The Premier League was talked about for quite a few years before it was formed and it was said back then what would happen. Money taking over and the rich getting richer. All been proved true."

What people fail to see is that there is no change whatsoever, it's the 1st Division, 2nd,3rd,and 4th, like it's always been, changing a few titles like Premier and Championship means sweet FA.

It's a lot different because of the financial side of it now. Top six is a virtual closed shop (hopefully top seven soon) which it never was back in the old days; promoted teams won the title (Forest) and big teams (United/Chesea) were relegated; it was a much more even playing field.

Thanks for posting it Mike, but I don't see anything in that article that changes my mind.

Names have been changed and they now refer to the leagues as tiers instead of divisions, teams still get relegated and promoted, so as far as I'm concerned the only thing that's changed is the financial side of it but I think that would have come in anyway. Might have taken a bit longer though.

The money is still not distributed fairly, lower clubs are going out of business while the top division is getting hundreds of millions for one season. If you look at the non league Division (Fifth Tier) about fifty percent of them have been stalwarts of the football league for most of their existance but have all fell by the wayside in the last twenty years. They now exist only as amateurs and part timers.

Edited by Bill