Sign in to follow this  
markjazzbassist

MFK Ružomberok (Away) [Europa League Qualifier Second Leg] Thursday August 3rd

Head to a tiny stadium (5k capacity) in slovakia to take on this side. I expect the same from them, parked bus and counter. Go for the jugular right from the start and try and nab the away goal. Here is the lineup i would like

Pickford

Holgate Keane Jags Baines

Klaassen Schneiderlin Gana

Rooney Sandro Mirallas

I think that doesn't look far off it.

I think Rooney will start in the centre and possibly play Sandro on the left and DCL on the right again.

Midfield picks itself.

I won't argue with that defence, Williams did not cover himself in glory, nor did Cupoo Martina.

Steks is a good shot stopper but his distribution is woeful. I still have a feeling Koeman will go with him again but surely he needs to get Pickford some game time.

Head to a tiny stadium (5k capacity) in slovakia to take on this side. I expect the same from them, parked bus and counter. Go for the jugular right from the start and try and nab the away goal. Here is the lineup i would like

Pickford

Rooney Sandro Mirallas

Happy with that lineup.

I'd be interested. In hearing comments about this lineup. I guess factors would include away setting, strategy/tactics for different formations, personnel strengths/weaknesses for this formation below.

3-3-3-1

Pickford

Jagielka Keane Williams

Davies Schneiderlin Baines

Klassen Rooney Mirallas

Sandro

I'd like to see Davies in there. I'm confident he'll work energetically and smartly both going forward and defending. If he runs out of gas, Gana in at 60 minutes. I'd want Lookman on for Mirallas by 65-70 minutes, unless Everton are ahead 2-0 and it makes more sense to bring on extra defenders to close out the tie.

Overall, is back 3 a good or bad idea, given the specific circumstances of this match?

I'd like to see Lookman start instead of Mirallas.

I was majorly disappointed with him when he came on and I'd been wanting him to come on. I thought he'd add some pace but he barely moved forward with the ball. Hopefully it was just a case of the game winding down though.

I was majorly disappointed with him when he came on and I'd been wanting him to come on. I thought he'd add some pace but he barely moved forward with the ball. Hopefully it was just a case of the game winding down though.

He didn't really get on the ball that much in fairness to him. We know exactly what Mirallas is going to do and if we want Lookman to take his place in the future he needs to play in these type of games.

*Written just after the game*

Sitting in the car now so I might aswell throw my two cents into the ring. I'm pleased with tonight's result in the sense that we won but would have liked to kill the tie here and now, going to Slovakia only 1-0 up is dangerous, especially considering this lot turned around a 1-0 defeat to win 2-1 against SK Brann in the previous round.

I thought our defence was pretty solid, even though that was to be expected against a side like this, Williams looked the weak link in the centre but thankfully had Michael Keane alongside him to mop anything up, Cuco Martina to his right however looked total gash. A hindrance throughout the game and someone who has now had two bad games in two, Mason Holgate needs to be thrown back into the side pronto.

Whilst we're talking about the defence Maarten Stekelenburg deserves credit for that world-class stop deep in the second half, an away goal would have killed us so fair play to him for that.

In the midfield Gana Gueye had his usual 10/10 game with Morgan Schneiderlin alongside who looked a little rusty to me, there wasn't much creative juice in the middle of the park but hopefully that will come the nearer we get to the season, Kevin Mirallas on the wing had a decent game but seemed to float in and out of the match whilst Domenic Calvert-Lewin struggled, I'd have preferred to see Sandro up there from the start but can accept that he didn't due to a lack of fitness.

Rooney was solid if uninspirational, he made the odd good ball out around the field but didn't do anything too magic to get bums off seats, I was hoping for a goal or two from the big man but it wasn't to be.

Overall, a solid performance and a job half done but I was secretly hoping for a bit more, hopefully we get the job done in Slovakia and progress to the next round.

Pickford

Rooney Sandro Mirallas

I'm not a great one for formations, but I'd experiment with something like this...

Pickford

Holgate Keane Williams Baines

Klaassen Schneiderlin

Rooney

Lookman DCL Sandro

I can see this being a 451 job and breaking on the counter

Now I'm on the desktop, I'd like to see this;

Pickford

Holgate Jags Keane Baines

Davies Gana Davy Morgan Mirallas

Sandro

Go 442 if we get that first goal with Sandro coming on

Pickford

Sandro

He's already on :huh:.

How old mate?

mentally or physically? :lol:

I share my birthday with Switzerland, so it's a long weekend celebration until Aug 1st. I'll be 34 if I make it!

Will it not be hidden behind a red button?

Can't see it being a red button job but might be wrong. Trying to plan where I'm going to watch it, so frustrating. I hope it is ITV4 and they change the listings soon. Better not be a bloody road racing series as scheduled to be on!

ITV need to change their line up, in the schedule for next Thursday they're showing the women's euro semi.

Unless it's been changed since lunch time.

ITV need to change their line up, in the schedule for next Thursday they're showing the women's euro semi.

Unless it's been changed since lunch time.

Channel 4 have the women's Euros, not ITV4. ITV have updated their schedule and confirmed the game will be shown.

Pickford

Sandro

How do you plan to counter attack with that team?

Pace is going to be a huge problem for us this season unless something drastic happens between now and the close of the window (like we find a way to have PED''s not show up on a drugs test).

Pickford

Williams..Keane..Jagielka

Holgate.................................................Baines

Gueye..Schneiderlin

Lennon.........................Klaasen.........................Mirallas

Sandro

Vital that we bring on Lookman around the hour mark if need be to get us the speed we were crying out for on Thursday. Despite Calvert-Lewin doing his best too I wouldn't be against sticking him back on the bench to accommodate Aaron Lennon. Fingers crossed Sandro's fully fit to attack from the off, he looked our best player when he came on and with 90 minutes ahead of him could be the difference between our away goal going in and not arriving.

Pickford

Gueye..Schneiderlin

Sandro

Vital that we bring on Lookman around the hour mark if need be to get us the speed we were crying out for on Thursday. Despite Calvert-Lewin doing his best too I wouldn't be against sticking him back on the bench to accommodate Aaron Lennon. Fingers crossed Sandro's fully fit to attack from the off, he looked our best player when he came on and with 90 minutes ahead of him could be the difference between our away goal going in and not arriving.

12 players

People keep mentioning all this about a lack of pace, when we've lost Lukaku and that's about it. We've also signed Sandro who looks quick to add to the likes of Lennon, Mirallas, Lookman and Bolasi. What's the difference this season from last (apart from one player)?

People keep mentioning all this about a lack of pace, when we've lost Lukaku and that's about it. We've also signed Sandro who looks quick to add to the likes of Lennon, Mirallas, Lookman and Bolasi. What's the difference this season from last (apart from one player)?

Lennon didn't play, Mirallas is not good enough, Lookman spent most of the time last season on the bench and Bolassie has had a serious injury and who knows what he will be like when he comes back, basically we didn't have a huge amount of pace last season either.

It was a problem last season too and we are making it worse. Geri was another who played in the first half and Barkley wasn't a slouch, not that he ever got in behind.

Basically our front 3 will more than likely be Rooney, Giroud and Sigurdsson with Sandro here and there. That isn't just slow it's pedestrian.

Pickford

Gueye..Schneiderlin

Sandro

Use 12 players and still not find room for Rooney?

Gana needs to play. So does Morgan and Rooney. My first picks would be:

Gana

Rooney

Morgan

Pickford

Keane

Baines

Klaassen

Sandro

You guys can fill in the blanks but they would probably be:

Williams

Holgate

Davies

Pickford

Holgate Keane Williams Baines

Morgan

Klaassen Gana Davies

Sandro Rooney

How do you plan to counter attack with that team?

Pace is going to be a huge problem for us this season unless something drastic happens between now and the close of the window (like we find a way to have PED''s not show up on a drugs test).

at least 3 have the pace to take the ball forward. If Sandro did start, make it 4.

I'm expecting us to sit deep with the someone holding the halfway line. Long ball up over the top for them to run on to.

But could be the birthday weekends beers taking their toll. 2 more days of it too :)

at least 3 have the pace to take the ball forward. If Sandro did start, make it 4.

I'm expecting us to sit deep with the someone holding the halfway line. Long ball up over the top for them to run on to.

But could be the birthday weekends beers taking their toll. 2 more days of it too :)

Which three? I see Mirallas and that's it, and even he doesn't really have the pace to race away from people any longer.

I really don't buy into Gana needs to play, for me it's him or Schneiderlin sat in front of the back four, when they both play they both try and hold, if your playing three at back then fair enough, but when it's a back four we offer very little going forward then the front players become isolated because the midfield sit to deep.

It's one or the other and Schneiderlin for me is the better out of the two, he gets us ticking and his delivery is far better.

I really don't buy into Gana needs to play, for me it's him or Schneiderlin sat in front of the back four, when they both play they both try and hold, if your playing three at back then fair enough, but when it's a back four we offer very little going forward then the front players become isolated because the midfield sit to deep.

It's one or the other and Schneiderlin for me is the better out of the two, he gets us ticking and his delivery is far better.

One of the first on the teamsheet for me; makes an occasional mistake but he's a duracel bunny and 99% of the time does the right thing. Plus he gets forward and makes/has chances so him and Morgan together doesn't equal a negative approach. Love the guy.

Which three? I see Mirallas and that's it, and even he doesn't really have the pace to race away from people any longer.

lost my other post apparently. I see four but it's the eve of Swiss day and all hell is breaking loose :)

One of the first on the teamsheet for me; makes an occasional mistake but he's a duracel bunny and 99% of the time does the right thing. Plus he gets forward and makes/has chances so him and Morgan together doesn't equal a negative approach. Love the guy.

Last week he looked a class above every player in the pitch. First time I have watched him live and I was shocked by how good he is.

Tackling is one of the best in the premier.

His brain is way above most our team.

What surprised me was how he links okay up, even a couple of efforts on goal.

I can see both arguments with Gana. I have never seen someone intercept or tackle as much as this lad can and he has such an engine on him too. On the other hand he gets sucked out of position a lot and I don't think he supports the attack as well as our other midfielders. By that I mean his runs are very obvious and his passing/shooting is basic at this level.

In big games he would be one of the first names on the team sheet. When a draw isn't enough I don't think he is as important (assuming Schneiderlin plays).

In an ideal world I would probably rotate him and Davies depending on the opposition.

I don't see it as a positive set up playing them together, we look to defensive, which allows teams to take the game to us.

I'm sure we will see them start together most games, but in my opinion I feel we would be missing a better line up and performance with just one of them in the starting eleven.

I can see both arguments with Gana. I have never seen someone intercept or tackle as much as this lad can and he has such an engine on him too. On the other hand he gets sucked out of position a lot and I don't think he supports the attack as well as our other midfielders. By that I mean his runs are very obvious and his passing/shooting is basic at this level.

In big games he would be one of the first names on the team sheet. When a draw isn't enough I don't think he is as important (assuming Schneiderlin plays).

In an ideal world I would probably rotate him and Davies depending on the opposition.

Nail on the head. He doesn't have a football brain but could man mark the best of them. If I was managing the opposition and we started Gana and Barkley I'd be rubbing my hands as you know you'll get a lot of space in midfield as they don't read the game.

Gana doesn't have a football brain? Watching him you would think the opposite.

The main ingredient to making an interception is reading play, not blind luck.

He spent most of the last game just outside the forward third, linking up defence and attack. Totally the opposite to our poster boy Morgan. Gana is the African one by the way.

Gana doesn't have a football brain? Watching him you would think the opposite.

The main ingredient to making an interception is reading play, not blind luck.

He spent most of the last game just outside the forward third, linking up defence and attack. Totally the opposite to our poster boy Morgan. Gana is the African one by the way.

He runs to the ball and often goes in on the wrong side of his man, if his man passes the ball short he'll get sucked in to chasing the ball down rather than keeping track of his player which creates space for the opposition. This works well if you switch runners but it's not always the best thing to do, and Gana does it nearly every time with no consideration of where the opponents are standing or where his midfield partner is.

Going forward he's laughable at times. Last game so he had to do was a simple ball in from CM to in front of who over was LF at the time and he played it to his feet completely ruining the attack. In the final third he plays on luck alone, no clue what to do.

He runs to the ball and often goes in on the wrong side of his man, if his man passes the ball short he'll get sucked in to chasing the ball down rather than keeping track of his player which creates space for the opposition. This works well if you switch runners but it's not always the best thing to do, and Gana does it nearly every time with no consideration of where the opponents are standing or where his midfield partner is.

Going forward he's laughable at times. Last game so he had to do was a simple ball in from CM to in front of who over was LF at the time and he played it to his feet completely ruining the attack. In the final third he plays on luck alone, no clue what to do.

Im not sure that we are watching the same player. One of the first on the team sheet for me (if not THE first)