Latchford9

Stoke

I'm most happy with a clean sheet. Good seasons are built on the back of solid defences and with Pickford pulling saves like that off and Keane who is the Premier League's best aerial defender then we certainly have a good chance.

I don't rate Martina at all, I don't understand how he is even selected ahead of Holgate.

Rooney looked superb and once he got his goal, and what looked to be a real weight off his shoulders, he dominated the game.

I'd argue that Gueye, Schneiderlin and Davies are THE best midfield trio in the league.

I'm most happy with a clean sheet. Good seasons are built on the back of solid defences and with Pickford pulling saves like that off and Keane who is the Premier League's best aerial defender then we certainly have a good chance.

I don't rate Martina at all, I don't understand how he is even selected ahead of Holgate.

Rooney looked superb and once he got his goal, and what looked to be a real weight off his shoulders, he dominated the game.

I'd argue that Gueye, Schneiderlin and Davies are THE best midfield trio in the league.

Agree with all of this, minus maybe the last bit. They are very good though.

Thought Rooney was much better when ... date I say it.... he dropped into midfield. His passing range was outstanding.

He had willing runners around him. DCL was combative against Stoke's central defenders and Sandro was buzzing around taking up a variety of positions.

I would like him playing as a false 9. Start up front but drop off and let Sandro and DCL go beyond. Put him at the head of a midfield diamond, with Schneiderlin at the base and both Davies and Gueye in the left and right midfield positions.

I can't see a place for Klaassen in the midfield. I think he will be an option on the left of we choose a 4-2-3-1. Linking up with Baines the way Pienaar used to. He has got to get a bit fitter and stronger to adapt to the Premier League.

The first half was atrocious. Thank fuck the 3 at the back was dropped at half-time. I keep hoping that performances like that will mean it gets dropped forever because it never looks good for us, but I'm not holding my breath!

We were a much better team in the second half. For a start we were a real threat and could, and should, have extended our lead.

Still plenty of work to do but we absolutely had to get the three points today and we did that.

The first half was atrocious. Thank fuck the 3 at the back was dropped at half-time. I keep hoping that performances like that will mean it gets dropped forever because it never looks good for us, but I'm not holding my breath!

We were a much better team in the second half. For a start we were a real threat and could, and should, have extended our lead.

Still plenty of work to do but we absolutely had to get the three points today and we did that.

It only works if you have a good ball playing central defender and defenders who are pacey and comfortable as a fullback also.

We have Holgate but nobody on the left and Koeman doesn't seem to rate Holgate either.

City are going with 3 at the back now with Stones in the centre and flanked by Otamendi and Kompany. It will probably work a charm for them actually.

Well pissed off !! Tried to collect prebooked StubHub ticket at Bullens Road. .. massive queue and didn't get in till 3.25.. fancied a beer and started queueing at 3.44 and Rooney goes and scores... queue too big and didn't get the fucking beer !!!

First game as a season ticket holder, wanted my money back for the first 43 minutes. Stoke are a horrible team, but we had No movement up front so we just passed it sideways or backwards. Williams was awful, send him back to Swansea if we're still going for Sigi.

Great goal even if it was the first cross we seemed to have put into the box, well taken by Rooney, hopefully he will settle down, he seemed anxious before then.

2nd half much better, Martinas introduction changed the shape of the team, and. I was quite surprised at how well he played, got forward well with a couple of decent crosses. As a team we seemed much more relaxed and positive.

Pickford will be a Goodison hero if he carries on as well as he did today.

Keane was solid and grew in confidence.

Sandro ran a lot, but too often into a dead end, he will improve with more games.

Klassen was very disappointing for me, surprised he stayed on for as long as he did.

DCL looking better each game, once he was in the centre he was really good.

Rooney used his experience well.

Davies full of energy and Drive put Stoke on the back foot.

Just hope RK saw the improvement in the 2nd half and takes it on board .

Great to land in sunny warm climates and see we won...and Rooney got the fairy tale winner.

Obviously didn't see the game but massively unimpressed that an experiment was tried today with DCL playing RWB. At least Koeman has held his hands up...no choice really!

Can't comment too much as I've seen nothing bit I don't think I've ever been impressed with this 3 centre backs malarkey.

Koeman needs to play the best players available in their actual positions.

Good to open the season with 3 points ahead of some real tough games.

Think people are harsh in Klaassen. Him and Sandro made loads of runs that went unnoticed by Schneiderlin and Gana who I don't think made a forward pass in Stoke's half for the first 40 odd minutes. Schneiderlin's worst game so far. I would have gladly swapped him for Fletcher.

Think people are harsh in Klaassen. Him and Sandro made loads of runs that went unnoticed by Schneiderlin and Gana who I don't think made a forward pass in Stoke's half for the first 40 odd minutes. Schneiderlin's worst game so far. I would have gladly swapped him for Fletcher.

Honestly, I agree with those who suggest that Schneiderlin and Gueye should not play together.

I wouldn't get carried away with Rooney today. In the second half and with the switch of tactics we had so much more space to play in and more time on the ball.

Don't get me wrong he played really well in that second half and I'm made up for him to get his goal but let's not just use 1 game to form an opinion when he had been dropping deep in the last two EL games and played crap.

Like Haf says, the more games he plays the better he gets so here's hoping that continues for the rest of the season.

Looking back, I really don't understand the way the team was set up in the first half. The fact that it was better in the second half is no consolation because there were still problems. Most of us, I would say, would agree that:

• Rooney should be playing deeper, where he's more effective
  • DCL should be playing up-front in the centre
  • Holgate should start over Martina every time
  • Gueye and Schneiderlin should not be played together
  • Davies is a real talent who deserves to be a starter

Pickford and Keane are excellent additions, and so is Sandro. Rooney we'll see over time. Klaassen is going to take a while to adjust, and I have real doubts about Martina.

For me Gana does exactly what he is in the team to do. Break up play and move us up the field. He is extremely effective at that job just don't expect a typing more.

DCL should have squared that.

This. To me gana and schneiderlin are the only must start players. We control the pace because of those two.

Looking back, I really don't understand the way the team was set up in the first half. The fact that it was better in the second half is no consolation because there were still problems. Most of us, I would say, would agree that:

Pickford and Keane are excellent additions, and so is Sandro. Rooney we'll see over time. Klaassen is going to take a while to adjust, and I have real doubts about Martina.

I fully disagree about schneiderlin and gana. Schneiderlin dictates our play and gana is box to box. They don't occupy the same role at all.

I fully disagree about schneiderlin and gana. Schneiderlin dictates our play and gana is box to box. They don't occupy the same role at all.

Neither play the ball forward fast enough. They completely stifled the team going forward in the first half yesterday. Sandro and Klaassen made so many runs and the ball ended up going backwards because of them two idiots.

After watching MOTD, Klassen made an excellent run to create space for Rooney goal, but not much else, he will improve though with game time.

He was making runs nonstop just Schneiderlin and Gana kept killing the play.

Neither play the ball forward fast enough. They completely stifled the team going forward in the first half yesterday. Sandro and Klaassen made so many runs and the ball ended up going backwards because of them two idiots.

The formation stiffled the players yesterday. I dont see how you can say they didnt play the ball fast enough in the first half, yet when they still played together in the second half it was fine? You need two sitting midfielders so that the full backs can get forward and create width and allowing the two wide forwards to get in and around the box. Home or away against good or bad teams, you cant just have 3 players defending. Who you play there is up for debate but in the big games it has to be Schneiderlin and Gana.

I wouldnt agree with some of those.

Rooney isnt necessarily more effective deeper. He hasnt been in the Europa for example. I think that yes DCL should be playing the central striker and then Rooney should be playing off him, whether that's going past him or dropping off or from the right or from the left.

Holgate is agreed.

Gueye and Schneiderlin should start together most weeks as I have mentioned above. I would agree with you that they should be alongside Davies in that three. Klaasen hasnt quite got that link yet and he needs time to settle.

Did Schneiderlin ever played yesterday, I felt he was useless , rather rate him 0 /10 ... where Gana tried his best, he did not have much support. Rooney not his best, but still managed to string some clever passes (his exoerience speaks) ...and When martiana came in, he looked one of our best players (that speaks of the overall performance), in fact, the midfield was hopeless yesterday... though its only the first game, at the same style, we can be ripped apart at other games and labelled as 200M mid table flops...

The formation stiffled the players yesterday. I dont see how you can say they didnt play the ball fast enough in the first half, yet when they still played together in the second half it was fine? You need two sitting midfielders so that the full backs can get forward and create width and allowing the two wide forwards to get in and around the box. Home or away against good or bad teams, you cant just have 3 players defending. Who you play there is up for debate but in the big games it has to be Schneiderlin and Gana.

We were winning second half so there was less emphasis on getting the ball forward.

Every time Schneiderlin got the ball he moves it backwards with his right foot protecting the ball then looks for a pass that isn't on anymore as he just ruined the flow. Conversely look at how Rooney takes the ball, let's it run past him and puts his shoulders to goal allowing for first time passes and finding the runners.

Gana just lacks the ability going forward, doesn't have the brain to read the game quick enough or the ability to make the pass.

The formation didn't change, Keane was RB in the first half. We looked more balanced when we had a proper RB on however we were winning the players were more confident.

I can't see on what I've seen how Klaassen gets in the team ahead of Tom Davie's or Lookman.

The only reason i can think of is, Tom Davies and Lookman could have been seen as light weight players for a stoke game where there are big build bullies..

Probably Lookman should have been introduced at second half, when Stoke is tired and we can try to split their defences....having said that, Lookman, a great player and potential, but being young, he seems naive ,,, there are times when he should pass for others to score in the box, but his excitement takes him over and instead tried to score from tight angles and waste the chance...well, it comes with experience and yes he will grow into a great player in future...

Did Schneiderlin ever played yesterday, I felt he was useless , rather rate him 0 /10 ... where Gana tried his best, he did not have much support. Rooney not his best, but still managed to string some clever passes (his exoerience speaks) ...and When martiana came in, he looked one of our best players (that speaks of the overall performance), in fact, the midfield was hopeless yesterday... though its only the first game, at the same style, we can be ripped apart at other games and labelled as 200M mid table flops...

Yes he got the most combined tackles and interceptions this weekend (10).

He's still there doing what he does!

Yes he got the most combined tackles and interceptions this weekend (10).

He's still there doing what he does!

Schneiderlin ??? Guess i was not really concentrating then or maybe i was disappointed with his never ending back passes...... probably a sexy babe in the stand caught my attention...lol

Schneiderlin ??? Guess i was not really concentrating then or maybe i was disappointed with his never ending back passes...... probably a sexy babe in the stand caught my attention...lol

I didn't notice him either,I only know that as I was looking at the stats on the PL app

The only reason i can think of is, Tom Davies and Lookman could have been seen as light weight players for a stoke game where there are big build bullies..

Probably Lookman should have been introduced at second half, when Stoke is tired and we can try to split their defences....having said that, Lookman, a great player and potential, but being young, he seems naive ,,, there are times when he should pass for others to score in the box, but his excitement takes him over and instead tried to score from tight angles and waste the chance...well, it comes with experience and yes he will grow into a great player in future...

That's DCL all over as well.

I can't see on what I've seen how Klaassen gets in the team ahead of Tom Davie's or Lookman.

Watch Klaassen's part he plays in the goal. Think he'll do a lot of good work which goes under the radar e.g clever movement, quick one-twos, closing down/battling etc. Don't forget he created the most chances over the 2 Europa games. He looks a good fit for this league in my opinion.

Yep agreed 3 at the back is daft.

I've never actually liked it, even for the teams where it works with!

I think 3 at the back will be the best system when we've got another 'better suited' centre back in. We desperately lack natural wide men so this can actually help give us that width. I think we'll see it used a fair bit this season.

I wouldn't say we played 3 at the back today. Keane was a very unorthodox right back in the first half.

That's how I saw it - it was a flexible formation where Keane/DCL/Gueye filled the space on the right. I think we were targeting Stoke's weak link in Pieters (very poor player) but Stoke noticed this and covered him for the most part. He was actually more exposed in the 2nd half.

Stoke actually did the same tactic with Diouf at right wing back - maybe this is the new craze - right wing back target men?!

Watch Klaassen's part he plays in the goal. Think he'll do a lot of good work which goes under the radar e.g clever movement, quick one-twos, closing down/battling etc. Don't forget he created the most chances over the 2 Europa games. He looks a good fit for this league in my opinion.

I do hope your right and he comes good but for me Davie's is a better all round player.

If we had to play three at the back we need a top drawer centre back and instead of Williams or jags wouldn't mind seeing besic in there. I'm not a big fan of the formation because baines isn't suited for that role any more. Our midfield has plenty of options now which is a good thing obviously so we can have a diamond or go 4-4-3 or other variations. After watching fridays match I would put a £30 mill bid in for vardy. He looked on fire

If we had to play three at the back we need a top drawer centre back and instead of Williams or jags wouldn't mind seeing besic in there. I'm not a big fan of the formation because baines isn't suited for that role any more. Our midfield has plenty of options now which is a good thing obviously so we can have a diamond or go 4-4-3 or other variations. After watching fridays match I would put a £30 mill bid in for vardy. He looked on fire

4-4-3 would be kamakaze!!! I know Pickford's good with his feet but playing with no keeper is just plain silly!

We were winning second half so there was less emphasis on getting the ball forward.

Every time Schneiderlin got the ball he moves it backwards with his right foot protecting the ball then looks for a pass that isn't on anymore as he just ruined the flow. Conversely look at how Rooney takes the ball, let's it run past him and puts his shoulders to goal allowing for first time passes and finding the runners.

Gana just lacks the ability going forward, doesn't have the brain to read the game quick enough or the ability to make the pass.

The formation didn't change, Keane was RB in the first half. We looked more balanced when we had a proper RB on however we were winning the players were more confident.

I'm surprised at some of the reactions to Gana on here, I thought he played some horrendously bad passes yesterday.

It's like Schneiderlin and him are too similar and it's a waste to have both out there. Or they are both playing too similar of a role and it's squandered. Perhaps Schneiderlin needs to be the deepest and then Gana and Davies ahead.

Not too worried about Klassen, as it was his first game. He comes from a very offensive league. We're stacked at midfield so it will be interesting to see how it all fits.

I think Gana and Schneiderlin are completely different. Gana covers every blade, chases players down acts as a link to the attack, Schneiderlin sits deeper, controls the tempo of the game and occasionally drops into the back 4.

I think the same, it surprises me that so many people say they are the same player?

One relies on energy and tenacity, the other in technique and control.