Cornish Steve

Predict our result: 2017/2018 season

We're just one week away from the start of the new season, so let's get this party rolling! The rules remain the same as for the previous two seasons. Each week, you'll predict just two things: the final score and the scorer of first Everton’s first goal. Please use the same format each week:

Home-team x-x Away-team

Goal-scorer

For example, you might predict,

Everton 2-0 Spurs

Rooney

Here's how points will be awarded:

a: 1 point for the correct outcome (win, lose, or draw)

b: 1 point for the correct goal difference

c: 1 point for the correct number of goals scored by Everton

d: 1 point for the correct number of goals scored by the opposition

e: 1 point for your prediction being better than the average prediction

f: 2 points for predicting the first Everton goal-scorer

g: 1 point if your predicted goal-scorer scores other than the first goal

h: 3 bonus points if you correctly predict the final score and the first goal-scorer

Here's the fine print on these rules:

• You receive 2 points if your goalscorer gets the first goal and 1 point if he gets one of the other goals. You do not get 3 points if he scores both.
  • If Everton fail to score, no one gets any points for predicted goalscorer
  • If you predict correctly 0-0 (no goalscorer), you receive the 3-point bonus
  • You can choose "own goal" as your goalscorer, in which case it doesn't matter who from the opposing team scores that own goal.
  • If you predict no goals for Everton but do predict a goalscorer, you receive no points if he scores.
  • For the technically minded, the definition of "better than the average prediction" is quite simple: (ABS[yourEvertonscore - actualEvertonscore] + ABS[youropponentscore - actualopponentscore]) < (ABS[averageEvertonscore - actualEvertonscore] + ABS[averageopponentscore - actualopponentscore])
  • To be listed in the points-per-prediction totals, you must have predicted the score in at least one-third of the games.
  • Predictions are for Premier League games only, not for other league or cup competitions.

Here are some examples. Let's say Everton are playing at home to Spurs. The final result is 2-0, with Rooney scoring first and Baines scoring second.

• If you predicted 1-0 (Rooney), you score a+d+f = 4 points (and maybe a point for being better than average)
  • If you predicted 2-1 (Baines), you score a+c+g = 3 points (and maybe a point for being better than average)
  • If you predicted 3-1 (Williams), you score a+b = 2 points (and maybe a point for being better than average)
  • If you predicted 2-0 (Baines), you score a+b+c+d+e+g = 6 points
  • If you predicted 2-0 (Rooney), you score a+b+c+d+e+f+h = 10 points

Note: all predictions must be posted here prior to kickoff: no exceptions. If you want to change your prediction, please do so in a new post; don't edit the first one. The change must be made prior to kickoff. If the game starts at 3:00pm, then you must post your prediction by no later than 2:59pm. If you change your prediction after kickoff, your prediction that week will be null and void.

Please feel free to ask any questions. MikeO, AidanLewis, and aaron are the ones to beat.

Posted 01 Aug 2017 - 23:27

Don't know if anybody is interested in a prediction league for the prem, but I've fixed one up on the BBC Sport site. The league looks after itself cos it's so simple that there's no mathematical genius needed, have a look and see what you think.

http://bbc.in/2u1Gprd if you want to give it a go the code is .. a1aba

Everton 2 - 1 Stoke

Baines

Shit. Just realized this season will be a lot tougher not picking Likely 90% of the time.

Edit: sorry... Just forgot format. It's been a long couple months.

Posted 01 Aug 2017 - 23:27

Don't know if anybody is interested in a prediction league for the prem, but I've fixed one up on the BBC Sport site. The league looks after itself cos it's so simple that there's no mathematical genius needed, have a look and see what you think.

http://bbc.in/2u1Gprd if you want to give it a go the code is .. a1aba

thanks Bill I signed up.

Please feel free to ask any questions. MikeO, AidanLewis, and aaron are the ones to beat.

How can you mention Aidan and Aaron in the same breath as me? I'm the Mohammed Ali of this caper, the Greatest ever (and the prettiest).

I'm affronted :shaking fist:.

How can you mention Aidan and Aaron in the same breath as me? I'm the Mohammed Ali of this caper, the Greatest ever (and the prettiest).

I'm affronted :shaking fist:.

You copied my predictions week in week out when you got ahead of me Mike ?

I'm backward :shaking fist:.

fixed it for you mate :D

Well at least we know if we can't agree on things we can remain civil and mature Mike

Bit of trash talk does wonders for the viewing figures though :lol:. I understand Steve is in negotiation with HBO as we speak.

I'm too kind hearted for that.

You prick

I'll see you at the weigh in, you'd better bring plenty of minders or I'll set my wife on you, and you wouldn't like that trust me :lol:.

I'll see you at the weigh in, you'd better bring plenty of minders or I'll set my wife on you, and you wouldn't like that trust me :lol:.

Leave the wives out of it and we both stand a chance!