IGNORED

Who gets relegated this year?

• 3 weeks later...

Southampton all but saved themselves - needed to beat Swansea in all honesty given that their last is against City. They can tie on points to Huddy and Swansea (if they beat Stoke), but have a far superior goal difference. Thought Hughes had really turned them around. They were far too good to be in this position - the right additions in the summer and they should be back to midtable, but they'll be right back in the mess if they don't make the right additions.

A point against Chelsea or Arsenal will keep Huddy up, or Swansea NOT beating Stoke. I still quite fear for them given their tough fixtures and inferior goal difference, but would love to see them do it.

Swansea are still in it, and Stoke is one of the best teams they could play right now, but Swansea have been terrible since the honeymoon with Carvalhal ended. No better than under Paul Clement, which was the most doomed looking side around January.

I have a feeling it will be Huddersfield that will go down. They have Arsenal and Chelsea next, and their goal differential is terrible. I want them to stay up and hope I'm wrong. I kinda have a soft spot for Swansea too, so I'll bummed of they go down too.

5 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

I have a feeling it will be Huddersfield that will go down.

Me too.

Southampton are 99% safe.  It’s down to Huddersfield and Swansea.  Between the two, Swansea seem in better shape to me.  I’ll be shocked if Huddersfield’s inferior goal difference doesn’t get worse tomorrow.  Chelsea still have an outside chance at top 4, and should win easily.

Even playing badly, a desperate Swansea should defeat Stoke on Sunday.  So, can an equally desperate Huddersfield take a point at home in Wenger’s last match?  What sort of lineup will Wenger put on the pitch?  (Wenger is still managing, right?)

I think Swansea are a slightly better bet to take 3 points than Hudderfield to take 1.  Maybe the key factor wil be whether the Arsenal players are already on break, with some of them thinking only of the World Cup.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i can see arsenal drawing or losing that last one, nothing to play for, it's away, meanwhile huddersfield will be fighting for their lives.

i'm saying it's swans going down, huddersfield to draw/beat arsenal to stay up.

Arsenal not picked up a single point away this year (I'm told, not checked it). 

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

I was just going to say this. Huddersfield have an excellent chance of picking up a point. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a point against Chelsea tonight either.

8 hours ago, MikeO said:

Arsenal have taken 13 points away this season, but none in 2018.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I was just going to say this. Huddersfield have an excellent chance of picking up a point. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a point against Chelsea tonight either.

Both Huddersfield and Chelsea will be desperate tonight: Huddersfield to draw to stay up, Chelsea to win to keep their chances for finishing top 4.  I’ve no idea which team will be more inspired by their desperation.  But Chelsea are home and vastly more talented.  

So unlike you, I will be very surprised if Huddersfield take a point tonight.  It’s a fair footy debate.  And at this moment in our dismal season, much more interesting than anything likely to happen with Everton FC this week.

22 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

Southampton all but saved themselves - needed to beat Swansea in all honesty given that their last is against City. They can tie on points to Huddy and Swansea (if they beat Stoke), but have a far superior goal difference. Thought Hughes had really turned them around. They were far too good to be in this position - the right additions in the summer and they should be back to midtable, but they'll be right back in the mess if they don't make the right additions.

A point against Chelsea or Arsenal will keep Huddy up, or Swansea NOT beating Stoke. I still quite fear for them given their tough fixtures and inferior goal difference, but would love to see them do it.

Swansea are still in it, and Stoke is one of the best teams they could play right now, but Swansea have been terrible since the honeymoon with Carvalhal ended. No better than under Paul Clement, which was the most doomed looking side around January.

I wouldn' say they have been terrible, they just can' put the ball in the back of the net. They should have beaten us, yesterday's game was very even, and I have heard they have played solidly, especially at home. 

You are right about Soton though, they really just need more consistent creative players. They have no decent wingers (Redmond, Tadic, Boufal). The middle name is very talented on his day but he only turns up every 10 games.

First half 0-0 at Stamford Bridge.  Huddersfield has parked the bus, just occasionally with a breakout counter.  Rudiger missed an open chance in front of goal.    Chelsea players outraged when ref blew halftime whistle when they had a corner, so I’d guess they will come out even more aggressive.  Second half will be tense, tense.   Chelsea will have 80% of possession.

In one important sense, Chelsea are the more desperate team, as they must win today to keep alive their chance at top 4.  Whereas Huddersfield need a point either tonight or Sunday at home v. Arsenal.

1 minute ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Huddersfield goal.  Weird long ball, goalie mess up, sort of.

Woah! Crazy scenes! 

10 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

First half 0-0 at Stamford Bridge.  Huddersfield has parked the bus, just occasionally with a breakout counter.  Rudiger missed an open chance in front of goal.    Chelsea players outraged when ref blew halftime whistle when they had a corner, so I’d guess they will come out even more aggressive.  Second half will be tense, tense.   Chelsea will have 80% of possession.

In one important sense, Chelsea are the more desperate team, as they must win today to keep alive their chance at top 4.  Whereas Huddersfield need a point either tonight or Sunday at home v. Arsenal.

Think Huddy are just as desperate mate - Two matches with your fate in your own hands and needing to scape a point. That's as much incentive as any.

1 minute ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Chelsea hits the post.  Still 1-1.  Actually, Huddersfield goalie saved it onto post.

Think the whole "getting stuck in" deal gets overblown by nostalgic English pundits who were former workmanlike players from the 80s-90s, but this and Man City appear to have been inspired performances from a side desperate to stay in the division but completely devoid of any goalscoring capabilities.

4 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I was wrong, not for the first or last time.  Chelsea can still qualify for CL, if they win Sunday and Liverpool lose.  There’s a nice thought.

Come on Brighton, Chelsea, and Real Madrid.

Wouldn't Liverpool have to also lose to Real Madrid? Otherwise, they qualify automatically, which would push Chelsea out.

54 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Wouldn't Liverpool have to also lose to Real Madrid? Otherwise, they qualify automatically, which would push Chelsea out.

Yes, that’s why I said “come on... and RM.”  I definitely want Liverpool to lose their next 2 matches.

But I also think that if Chelsea nip ahead of Liverpool for 4th (unlikely but still possible), and then Liverpool go on to win the CL, that in next year’s CL the EPL gets 5 teams, and then 2 (Arsenal and Burnley) in the EL.

Think I read that explanation somewhere, not 100% sure.  I’d guess it will be discussed in the run-up to Sunday’s matches.  But anyway I don’t really see Brighton winning Sunday.  I’ll join Chelsea fans in hoping for a miracle.

5 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Yes, that’s why I said “come on... and RM.”  I definitely want Liverpool to lose their next 2 matches.

But I also think that if Chelsea nip ahead of Liverpool for 4th (unlikely but still possible), and then Liverpool go on to win the CL, that in next year’s CL the EPL gets 5 teams, and then 2 (Arsenal and Burnley) in the EL.

Think I read that explanation somewhere, not 100% sure.  I’d guess it will be discussed in the run-up to Sunday’s matches.  But anyway I don’t really see Brighton winning Sunday.  I’ll join Chelsea fans in hoping for a miracle.

Yes, that's right, we would have 5 teams if the shite won the CL but finished outside the top 4.