Sign in to follow this  
TallPaul1878

New GCSE Grades

Okay so my colleague has a son who has just received his GCSE results. They are now using a number scale from 1-9 with 9 being the highest score.

The Education Secretary states that the new scores were brought in to differentiate between the very highest achievers. So now a 7 is now the equivalent of an A.

The old B grade is now a 6 and a mark of 5 is sort of a low B high C. A traditional C grade is now marked as 4.

Here is where I have a problem. The new scores are basically a mark out of 10. If I rated something as a 9 you would likely see it as very good. A mark of 5 or 6 and you would probably say that is mediocre.

But a mark of 5 or 6 in GCSEs is effectively a B grade and that can be considered a good grade. These new scores have now made above average grades seem bang average now.

Surely if they wanted to differentiate the very highest mark then they could have used a new double A star or use A, AA, AAA marks for the very top performers.

I'm uncomfortable with these new grades as it makes kids feel like a relatively good grade of B is now a disappointing middle of the road mark.

I agree with Paul. A C is a good enough grade (my understanding is that A to C = what used to be called a pass) for most potential employers but now that's a 4, which sounds pretty poor; ridiculous, why change a system that wasn't broken?

I agree with Paul. A C is a good enough grade (my understanding is that A to C = what used to be called a pass) for most potential employers but now that's a 4, which sounds pretty poor; ridiculous, why change a system that wasn't broken?

WTF is the point of changing it? Surely letters differentiated the highest achievers already?

The Tories.

Enough said.