IGNORED

Your starting 11 from our squad

Palfy

Pickford.

Coleman. Keane. Mori. Baines

Besic. Schneiderlin, Klaassen

Rooney. DCL. Gylfi.

Subs Holgate. Jags. Gana. Bolasie. Sandro.

My reason for Mori with Keane is that Williams and Jags are to afraid to push up field, because they are protecting the fact they have no pace and are scared of the ball over the top, which means they constantly defend deep which means the midfield can't move up, because it leaves to big a space behind them, I feel the central defenders staying to deep has led to a lot of our problems.

In midfield I went Besic over Gana from what I've seen in the games so far Besic has offered more than Gana, with passing and movement also in the little time Schneiderlin and him had together they worked well together.

I chose Klaassen over Davies because I believe once Klaassen gets to speed he will be class you can see he has a good brain he just needs to get used to the pace of the premiere league, I never went with Ross because he possibly won't be here next week.

I think the three up top have a good mix of youth and pace with DCL and he looks far better than Sandro, Rooney brings experience leadership and desire and will still get his fair share of goals, Gylfi should add some flair and graft with his work rate.

Edited by Palfy

I couldn't name you a full starting 11 because i could put the best players into it but that wouldn't be a very good team.

GK - Pickford is easy.

DEF - Coleman / Keane / ? / Baines

Baines & Coleman (assuming the latter comes back to a similar level) are obvious. Keane looks shaky in a back 5 but much more assured in a back 4. Jags and Williams have looked equally as dodgy at the back, I would probably side with Jags at the moment.

MID - Davies - Schneiderlin - Gana

I think we need to go back to having Schneiderlin deep and then Gana and Davies going box to box. Klaassen could do the same job as Davies but from what I have seen so far Davies has been the slightly cleverer passer, albeit neither have covered themselves in glory so far.

STR - ? - DCL - ?

I think DCL has shown that he should be leading the line but the other wide options are either not wide player, not good enough, or likely to be exiled. Based on last season I would have Barkley on the right. I guess he would switch with Sigurdsson. Rooney doesnt have the legs to play in this position, Sandro could play on the other side but Im not sure what his best position is yet, Lookman needs to drop down a league, Lennon isnt good enough and Mirallas is an option but he wont be here much longer.

Pickford

Martina Holgate Williams Baines

Davies McCarthy

Mirallas Klaassen Sigurdssen

Rooney

Taking the piss aren't you pete, no Coleman or Keane in defence, only one to choose McCarthy in midfield, and Mirallas and Klaasen.

Looking at it another way, if you look at all the different team selections in this thread you can appreciate what Koeman is up against trying to get the team right.

Taking the piss aren't you pete, no Coleman or Keane in defence, only one to choose McCarthy in midfield, and Mirallas and Klaasen.

Looking at it another way, if you look at all the different team selections in this thread you can appreciate what Koeman is up against trying to get the team right.

Coleman is injured. Keane has been massively unimpressive. Only good game was against Split in the first leg. All three centre backs have looked off the pace. Fully fit team I'd be starting Mori and Holgate.

I think a lot of Klaassen's movement is missed on the tele. He's a very smart player, will take time to fully get used to the prem but him and Rooney could play some great one touch football.

Steve, no Gana or Morgan in Midfield, just reiterates what I said before, with all these different selections, it shows its not so easy for Koeman to pick the right team thats suits everybody.

You're right, Bill. And, of course, he'll feel pressure to play Schneiderlin, Gueye, and Klaassen because he spent a lot of money on bringing them in. This is the biggest danger, I think: believing that you have to play new recruits in case it comes across that you made a mistake bringing them in. In the end, it's about playing the best team for a given game and not feeling pressure to play this person and not that person for other reasons.

Pickford

Coleman, Keane, Holgate, Baines

Besic, McCarthy, Davies

Rooney

DCL, Sigurdsson

Subs: Joel, Jagielka, Williams, Barkley, Sandro

1) Play Holgate where he should be: centre back

2) Play a midfield that's aggressive and wants to win

3) Choose the best team regardless of who we just brought in

?

Who in their right mind doesn't pick Gana or Morgan.

Steve, have you considered a different sport?

You're right, Bill. And, of course, he'll feel pressure to play Schneiderlin, Gueye, and Klaassen because he spent a lot of money on bringing them in. This is the biggest danger, I think: believing that you have to play new recruits in case it comes across that you made a mistake bringing them in. In the end, it's about playing the best team for a given game and not feeling pressure to play this person and not that person for other reasons.

i don't think so. klaassen was bought to be a bench player i'm almost sure of it. rotate for cup and europa matches and injuries but gylfi is his position but better. the top sides all have 25m+ bench players, look at city, united, chelsea, etc. We are just trying to build a squad like that.

Coleman is injured. Keane has been massively unimpressive. Only good game was against Split in the first leg. All three centre backs have looked off the pace. Fully fit team I'd be starting Mori and Holgate.

I think a lot of Klaassen's movement is missed on the tele. He's a very smart player, will take time to fully get used to the prem but him and Rooney could play some great one touch football.

His movement has been decent but I have been massively underwhelmed by his passing and also his creativity. He needs time to settle though.

Out of the nine who posted a team the players with the most votes in positions they play would give us this starting eleven.

Pickford 9/9.

No other picked.

Coleman 8/9. Keane 8/9. Jags. 5/9. Baines 9/9.

All others picked 1-2/9

Gana 5/9. Schneiderlin 7/9. Gylfi 8/9.

All others picked 2/9

Sandro 6/9. DCL 5/9. Rooney 8/9.

All others picked 2/9

No real big surprises if it wasn't for the injury to Coleman this team could be selected, don't know if it would perform.

Still think we could do with another CB with pace, a LB as cover and eventual replacement for Baines, and a proven striker with pace.

Be interesting to know your thoughts on how it panned out and what were you think we need to change or improve.

Then we can tweet it to Koeman, he might be glad of the help, grin.

Edited by Palfy

Who in their right mind doesn't pick Gana or Morgan.

Steve, have you considered a different sport?

Me - although I can't guarantee the "right mind" bit.

Morgan's level, for me, appears to have dropped. When played alongside Gueye, it's like watching the ball in a pinball machine get stuck bouncing from side to side only to finally make it's way back to be hoofed forward again. Besic brings aggression and a will to win. So does McCarthy. I certainly meant it when I suggested my preferred line-up.

For me it's one of;

Pickford

Holgate Keane Jags Baines

Gana Schneiderlein

Sandro Rooney Siggy

DCL

or

Pickford

Kenny Keane Jags Baines

Davies Schneiderlein Gana

Rooney/Siggy

DCL Sandro/Rooney

depending on what shape we go with. It's frustrating me to bits that we've bought in so many slow AMs and no wingers (or a marquee striker) to solve obvious issues in our squad. Think we're going to have to use Klaasen as a rotation/Europa player for instance.

Away against top 6

Pickford

Morgan

Besic Gana/Davies

Gylfi Rooney

DCL

Edit - I can't wait to get bolasie back, Coleman in for holgate once fit - he and bolasie will change us completely.

Edited by Btay

Me - although I can't guarantee the "right mind" bit.

Morgan's level, for me, appears to have dropped. When played alongside Gueye, it's like watching the ball in a pinball machine get stuck bouncing from side to side only to finally make it's way back to be hoofed forward again. Besic brings aggression and a will to win. So does McCarthy. I certainly meant it when I suggested my preferred line-up.

I think you should watch rugby or cricket instead of footy ?

Morgan and Gana are some of our most crucial players, one if not both must ALWAYS be considered for the starting 11. Anything less would make me question the manager.

This thread should have just been about the front 3 / 4. We have decent choices in midfield, our back four / five is what it is due to injury or lack of cover. The interesting selection question is what to do up top with what we got.

If gana and morgan are fit, I would go with the following in our current setup:

Pickford

Morgan

Besic/Davies Gana

Gylfi Rooney

DCL

Leave klaassen, sandro, lookman on the bench to be used as subs / to inspire them to make cases for the starting 11

(P.S. I miss Coleman, thinking he will walk right back into the starting 11 when he is fit)

When everyone is fit:

Pickford

Coleman Keane Holgate Baines

Gana Morgan Besic/Davies

Gylfi Rooney

DCL

I was thinking about this formation last night with Siggy and Rooney narrow behind DCL.

We don't have wingers so there is no point playing wide, but we do have attacking full backs and an abundance of defensive midfielders so the FBs can get forward and should be covered.

The question comes defensively, as who should pick up the opposition full backs. Chelsea used Willian and Pedro to do it but they have the mobility and pace to turn defence into attack. I don't know if it would work unless we had lots of possession and if we had lots of possession the centre of the pitch is likely to be overcrowded anyway.

I think ultimately we have too many of the same players.

I was thinking about this formation last night with Siggy and Rooney narrow behind DCL.

We don't have wingers so there is no point playing wide, but we do have attacking full backs and an abundance of defensive midfielders so the FBs can get forward and should be covered.

The question comes defensively, as who should pick up the opposition full backs. Chelsea used Willian and Pedro to do it but they have the mobility and pace to turn defence into attack. I don't know if it would work unless we had lots of possession and if we had lots of possession the centre of the pitch is likely to be overcrowded anyway.

Yeah, it leaves us pretty narrow because we don't have any wide players. Gana/Davies/Besic will have to be fairly mobile in order to account for teams who play wider.

We really need to invest in some wingers.

I think we'll see a transformation when Coleman comes back, I can see him and Baines going back to wing backs to provide the pace and width, with Rooney, Gana and Glyphi linking them up