IGNORED

Six points of contact.

rubecula

How many people do you know? I'm linked to about 1,500 on LinkedIn, maybe 100 on FB, have about 500 business cards, work with over 100 colleagues, and then there's my personal network of friends and family. But maybe I'm not typical, so let's limit the number to 500. Chances are that I share many contacts with those 500 people, so let's assume they each have 300 contacts I do not know. Now I'm linked to 500x300 people through just one person: that's 150,000. Now let's assume that each of those people know just 200 people I don't know. Through a 2-person link, I'm now connected to 30 million people. Frankly, I'd be quite surprised if I wasn't connected to almost everyone on the planet through six degrees of separation. It sounds incredible but it's just statistics.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

How many people do you know? I'm linked to about 1,500 on LinkedIn, maybe 100 on FB, have about 500 business cards, work with over 100 colleagues, and then there's my personal network of friends and family. But maybe I'm not typical, so let's limit the number to 500. Chances are that I share many contacts with those 500 people, so let's assume they each have 300 contacts I do not know. Now I'm linked to 500x300 people through just one person: that's 150,000. Now let's assume that each of those people know just 200 people I don't know. Through a 2-person link, I'm now connected to 30 million people. Frankly, I'd be quite surprised if I wasn't connected to almost everyone on the planet through six degrees of separation. It sounds incredible but it's just statistics.

but first what is your definition of "know"?  to know of?  acquaintance?  friend?  close friend?  lover?  met them in real life?  digital friend the same as real life friend?

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

but first what is your definition of "know"?  to know of?  acquaintance?  friend?  close friend?  lover?  met them in real life?  digital friend the same as real life friend?

Good question. On LinkedIn, for example, I'm quite strict about adding only people I know well enough to pick up the phone and call - someone I've met, worked with, and so on. Over time, I must confess that I've forgotten who some of them are, though. On FB, I keep the number quite small. For sure, there are over 1,000 people I know well enough to call or chat with. Maybe the rest would need a reminder (or I would). This is why I think the numbers I quoted (500, then 300, then 200) are reasonable.

All my FB contacts I know, though I'm someone who's incrediblely good with names and faces. LinkedIn is not something I look at often. 

Pretty sure I've met and worked (albeit briefly) in all corners of the globe so wouldn't be surprised if the rule applied to me. I'm more interested in the twin theory

On 08/09/2017 at 15:18, Cornish Steve said:

Dad?