IGNORED

Atalanta BC (Europa League Leg 1) [Away] Thursday September 14th

markjazzbassist

Our first Europa match of the Group Stage.  The month of September sees us playing League, Europa, and Cup matches every weekend and midweek so it will be a very busy time.  That being said getting a jump start in Europa will be beneficial.  Atalanta haven't won a match yet in their league (albeit they played Napoli and Roma) and are bottom table.  They sold a lot of talented players this summer (Kessie, Conti, Bastoni) with all 3 being on the defensive side of the game (CM, RB, CB).  Their big signings were Josip Illicic as striker, Boro midfielder Marten De Roon, and a pair of loans for Juve players Caldara (CB) and Spinazzola (LWB).  Spinazzola was with them last year as well and was a big part of their success.  We can definately beat them and I feel we have the quality to do so.  Their formation last year was a 343 similar to Conte's at Chelsea.  With their wing backs being very important to their strategy I would hope for this lineup.

Pickford

Holgate Keane Jags Baines

Gana  Schneiderlin  

Sandro   Rooney   Gylfi

DCL

Holgate to fend off Spinazzola and stay home and defend against their width.  Gana to assist there and Morgan to assist Baines.  Sandro and DCL to use pace, ROoney and Gylfi to be creative and help out in attack and provide their nous for right place right time goals.

Thanks to MJB for detailed scouting report.  Atalanta won their match yesterday, home to a weaker Serie A team.

This match begins a very crowded 6 matches in 18 days for Everton.  

Thurs Sept 14 - @ Atalanta

Sun Sept 17 - @ Man U

Wed Sept 20 - Sunderland (Carabao Cup)

Sat Sept 23 - Bournemouth

Thurs Sept 28 - Apollon

Sun Oct 1 - Burnley

We're all anxious for a much better performance Thursday, as we can't expect more than a point at Man U.  (Probaby can't even "expect" that.)  Good news is the last 4 of this crowded 6 matches are home, and only 1, the first, involves travel.

I'll guess (wildly).........

Pickford

Holgate  Keane  Jagielka  Baines

Gana  Schneiderlin

Sigurdsson  Rooney  Mirallas

DCL

PS to American Evertonians - Atalanta match is on Fox Sports 2 (1 pm EDT), and there's reason to believe we'll get all our EL matches on either FS 1 or 2.

12 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Thanks to MJB for detailed scouting report.  Atalanta won their match yesterday, home to a weaker Serie A team.

Sun Sept 17 - @ Man U

Thurs Sept 28 - Apollon

Sun Oct 1 - Burnley

We're all anxious for a much better performance Thursday, as we can't expect more than a point at Man U.  (Probaby can't even "expect" that.)  Good news is the last 4 of this crowded 6 matches are home, and only 1, the first, involves travel.

Pickford

Gana  Schneiderlin

DCL

Switch Gana and Schneiderlin for Besic and Davies,  we need a team that wants to attack these.

3 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Sun Sept 17 - @ Man U

Thurs Sept 28 - Apollon

Sun Oct 1 - Burnley

Pickford

Gana  Schneiderlin

DCL

PS to American Evertonians - Atalanta match is on Fox Sports 2 (1 pm EDT), and there's reason to believe we'll get all our EL matches on either FS 1 or 2.

Gana, Schneiderlin and Rooney should all be dropped.

Pickford

Besic

Davies      Klaasen

Vlasic       DCL       Siggurdson 

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

Gana, Schneiderlin and Rooney should all be dropped.

Pickford

Besic

Davies      Klaasen

Vlasic       DCL       Siggurdson 

Lookman should replace Klaassen, and put Siggurdson as AM, and we can possibly try Kenny as our rb

2 hours ago, hkfans said:

Lookman should replace Klaassen, and put Siggurdson as AM, and we can possibly try Kenny as our rb

I wouldnt play with AMs just box to box CMs. 

Lookman can come on as a sub but I think Klaassen needs more game time asap. 

Don't disagree with using Kenny, but Holgate should be first choice and I wouldn't make too many changes it what won't be an easy game. Kenny should be in for Sunderland.

I think we need to put some width in the team to stretch the opposition a bit for the first time this season as all of the CMs isn't working too well. I'm probably changing too much of the starting XI but I'd go for...

Pickford

Holgate    Keane    Jags    Baines

Besic                Davies

Lookman      Sigurdsson      Vlasic

DCL.

We need a good performance and a win. 

Pickford

Martina Jags Keane Baines

Gana

Klaassen Besic

Rooney Sandro Sigurdsson

Let's press them from the go and get out there with some intent and creativity. 

No need for two sitting mids in this game, Gana will assist that press more than Morgan, Besic will add to the energy and Siggy and Rooney should add to the creativity i suspect we will need against a team which will be presumably deeper then us. 

Think Sandro will be better against weaker teams than DCL. Klaassen needs to be given the opportunity to impress and will also add to that press. As for RB Martina is more suited against those weaker teams than Holgate, let's save him for the United game.

I expect us to save Holgate, Morgan, and DCL for the United game.

20 hours ago, Aidan Lewis said:

We need a good performance and a win. 

Pickford

Martina Jags Keane Baines

Gana

Klaassen Besic

Rooney Sandro Sigurdsson

Let's press them from the go and get out there with some intent and creativity. 

No need for two sitting mids in this game, Gana will assist that press more than Morgan, Besic will add to the energy and Siggy and Rooney should add to the creativity i suspect we will need against a team which will be presumably deeper then us. 

Think Sandro will be better against weaker teams than DCL. Klaassen needs to be given the opportunity to impress and will also add to that press. As for RB Martina is more suited against those weaker teams than Holgate, let's save him for the United game.

I expect us to save Holgate, Morgan, and DCL for the United game.

I agree we need a good performance, so why the hell did you put coco the clown in at right back:doh:

My Team, keep it tight and look to build control. Need to play DCL and Sando together as they both look like they need to have a strike partner.

Pickford

Holgate      Keane    Williams    Baines

Schneiderlin  Gana  

Siggy                               Klaassen

Sandro   DCL

Pickford

holgate   Keane   Williams    Baines

Besic                 Gana

Sandro              Klassen           Siggy

DCL

sandro needs minutes, needs a goal and will hopefully relax a bit after getting his first. Same said for klassen. Morgan needs a break because he hasn't been anything like himself. 

Not sure if Vlasic is ready for a start but I'd like to see him get minutes along with Davies. 

2 hours ago, Chris Vran said:

Didn't realise that Atlanta play with 3 and the back and 2 up front, so I can definitely see us matching them. If that's the case it'd be a good chance to give Holgate a game in a back 3, Kenny a game as a wing-back and DCL and Sandro a chance to play together up front. 

not sure about Holgate and Kenny in same lineup,  who would you drop so they can play together?