IGNORED

Managers discussion/Managers you admire/Managers you could see managing Everton one day.... in a very long time (speculative thread)

First of all, let me just say that this is not a thread to debate Koeman's performance or status as manager. That is for the Ronald Koeman thread. I will add that I think he is a very good manager who if given another window or two and can add the goalscorer we need, will have us competing for European places (I am a fan). 

I created this largely because I'm a huge fan of what David Wagner has done so far at Huddersfield. Obviously, he's three matches in, but they look like quite the team, play with a great style and passion, and getting them promoted was no easy feat. If he guides Huddersfield to safety with some comfort and in style, his name will certainly be touted with bigger jobs such as Southampton/West Ham, certainly bigger jobs in Germany, and also maybe even Spurs/Arsenal/us.  I could be a big fan of his if he turns out to be the real deal, and would love to see him vs Klopp on Merseyside.

What other managers are impressing you all right now that you think could be realistic future managers at Goodison if Koeman is not here in a few years?

Premier League:

Eddie Howe - continues to do well at Bournemouth, certainly isn't the sexiest name but he has them continually playing well.

Sean Dyche - I got hammered praising him the last time, but I think he gets the most out of Burnley, has them well organized, and would be interesting to see him set out a squad if he had more talent and could set up in a more attacking manner

Abroad:

Not really sure here, haven't been keeping up with much football outside of the Prem. If we could somehow nab Tuchel, that would be great, but probably well above our reach if Chelsea are interested in him. 

The problem with Howe is that his teams are as leaky as Martinez was. They can play some decent stuff and create plenty of good chances but they will lose by 3 or 4 at few times. 

I like teams that play with a high press and with pace. I don't mind if they have to slow things down, but as long as they can quicken it up with one pass then that's fine with me.

When I'm not watching Everton, I follow Dortmund. I think Thomas Tuechel did a fine job with them and he seems to be very good about bringing young players along. I'm not sure he would be in for Everton, but as far as I know he's unemployed right now. I also agree with the David Wagner shout, even though he's very close friends with Klopp, he seems to get results better than his team's talent would justify.

As a slight aside, the Bundesliga is a very much more experimental league--the top level teams routinely hire guys in their late 20s-early 30s. Not all of them hit, obviously, but for a team like Everton, who isn't going to get a Pep, Ancelloti, or Mourinho, it might be a good strategy to hire a young-ish guy with a record of tactical innovation in the Bundesliga. 

5 hours ago, Lowensda said:

Tuchel or Favre for me. They were on my shortlists for picks post Moyes and Martinez.

Don't know much about Favre but Tuchel would be an interesting one. He is the right type of manager to progress a Premier league club than doesn't already have a similar manager.

• 2 months later...
On 08/09/2017 at 21:32, Bailey said:

The problem with Howe is that his teams are as leaky as Martinez was. They can play some decent stuff and create plenty of good chances but they will lose by 3 or 4 at few times.     that play with a high press and with pace. I don't mind if they have to slow things down, but as long as they can quicken it up with one pass then that's fine with me.

Not like us losing by 4 or 5 then. :)

On 08/09/2017 at 21:10, pete0 said:

Short term I'd hire Alladyce as a consultant. Set piece and defense expert. 

On 09/09/2017 at 15:01, Newty82 said:

Fuckin Sam Alladyce!!!

Pete, you're getting worse!

Ha! I couldn't remember saying this!

Fair play Pete. You got it before we knew anything was going to happen!!!

• 2 weeks later...