IGNORED

Manchester United (Away) Sunday September 17

markjazzbassist

13 hours ago, c1982 said:

He did a back flip when we beat them 3-2 at The Hawthornes... I didn't celebrate as I was in the WBA end. I deserved an Oscar for my performance as a disappointed West Brom fan watching EFC turn being 2 down into a 3-2 win.

I don't even remember that :lol: 

I was thinking of the one at the Hawthorns when he scored with his right foot from outside the area.

After watching Bournemouth last night I think we need to go back to basics. I accept that they played against a crap team, but the side they used contained 7 of the players that got them promoted as well.

Bournemouth played 442, they pressed high, they created width using wingers (novel I know), full backs were constantly overlapping, the two in midfield worked tirelessly to win the ball back and the centre backs played the standard cover/aggressor partnership. They had a little difficulty up front as both King and Defoe wanted to make the same runs and attack the same space but when they switched Fraser for Ibe, he occupied slightly more central spaces, he was prepared to beat his man (another novel idea) and he linked the midfield to the attack.  It just shows that football is such a simple game. All Bournemouth lacked for the first half of the game was that link to the strikers as other than defending corners, they were almost flawless in every other department. Ake on the cover role was exceptional. He read the game well, he used his pace to get across and put in challenges and he recycled the ball really well.

I think its time that we went back to the same basics. Pickford is an obvious pick, Baines and Holgate too. At centre back, Keane can play either cover or aggressor but if he plays with Jags he should be the aggressor whereas with Williams he should be the cover.

In midfield you just need tireless workers who can again play as cover and aggressor which is Schneiderlin and Gana in a nutshell. Although I would argue that Davies or Klaasen in place of Gana would give us more options in attack, but given the game in question I would stick with Gana. Working out who should play wide is more difficult. At least one side needs to be able to beat a man, which is basically Mirallas / Lookman / Sandro and maybe Vlasic, and the other side needs to provide a seamless link with the full back, so that's most likely to be Sigurdsson.

In attack, you can have Rooney as the player who will drop deeper to link the play better and then DCL as the player to stretch the game behind. Sandro could do that too but I think DCL is more equipped to play the role at the moment.

If you assume that the players in bold would start, on the bench I would have Stek, Kenny, Williams, Davies, Klaasen, Vlasic, Sandro. Thats a quality bench and provides plenty of cover and options.

I think we need some pace in the team. We have some decent options, but Koeman needs to find the right blend and ensure the players have the right desire.

Pickford 

Holgate Keane Jagielka Baines 

Gana Schneiderlin 

Sigurdsson 

Sandro                            Vlasic 

DLC 

3 minutes ago, barryj said:

Watching Abraham of Swansea and he would be perfect for us. Superb player. I know he's on loan and Chelsea prob wouldn't sell but he'd be great. 

Agreed he looks really good. He won't get in that Chelsea team for a couple of years at least. Might want to move on for game time?

1 hour ago, seve said:

No fight what so ever i think the formations are irrelevant.

If you show passion you can play anywhere on the pitch in any formation.

I agree mate take any bunch of players from a park somewhere, and if they have passion and the will to win it won't matter what position they play.  

In my football life I have played in six positions, and I considered myself to be equally decent in them all.

On 10/09/2017 at 21:25, markjazzbassist said:

The tough run of fixtures ends with this one.  Would take a draw right now gladly.

pickford

holgate Keane Jags baines

gana Schneiderlin klaassen

sandro DCL Gylfi

Haha, you really haven't got a clue have you.

Playing only three CM, and one of them can't even tackle to save his life.

If you won't to concede double figures, come to mark.

Pickford

Holgate   jags    Williams

Lennon Shneidelin Gana basic   baines

Sandro

Rooney

19 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Ha! C'mon Yamar...you take the piss out of Mark for playing 'only 3 CM'....then produce a line up with....'only 3 CM'.

Incidently, people of Toffeetalk, as much as I like Besic, I've not read much on here on how much of a howler he had against Atalanta. I thought he was pretty bad...now if that was Gana or Morgan....

The difference is his 3 CM was actually 2.5 because of Klasson not being able to tackle. I had three CM with two defensive fullbacks. Now that's five in the middle to hold their own.

5 minutes ago, yamar said:

The difference is his 3 CM was actually 2.5 because of Klasson not being able to tackle. I had three CM with two defensive fullbacks. Now that's five in the middle to hold their own.

Ha. Splitting hairs there.

In all seriousness, I don't care how we line up. I'm more bothered about seeing an actual full on performance for 90 minutes...we may still lose, but at least give us 90 minutes of something that resembles a team effort.

Again.... I want to see some sort of substance from us.... some sort of solidity, structure, purpose. 

I haven't seen this from us at all.  It doesn't  look like we are going to discover it any time soon either. 

Play 4-4-2....

Pickford

Holgate - jags- Keane- Baines

Davies - gylfi - gana - mirallas 

Rooney - DCL 

Simple as that really.  Gylfi to push on gana to get back

19 minutes ago, xsaint08 said:

Predictions? What is your finals score gonna be like for this game?

Sadly, I suspect its gonna be,,,,

3-1

that would be a good result under the circumstances  sadly I think it will be worse, much worse.  anywhere between 5 and 9 goals for Utd. and none or possibly 1 for us

Just now, rubecula said:

that would be a good result under the circumstances  sadly I think it will be worse, much worse.  anywhere between 5 and 9 goals for Utd. and none or possibly 1 for us

I hope Man Utd will pity our travelling fans and leave us alone at 3-1 ... scores apart, i simply cannot understand how can a 150M set up team cannot string 5 forward passes together this season...i can accept defeats, only if they fought like men. As of now, Koeman has made them spineless clueless fools ...

5 minutes ago, xsaint08 said:

I hope Man Utd will pity our travelling fans and leave us alone at 3-1 ... scores apart, i simply cannot understand how can a 150M set up team cannot string 5 forward passes together this season...i can accept defeats, only if they fought like men. As of now, Koeman has made them spineless clueless fools ...

A pet hate of mine too, as every time we get a corner I start to wonder how many passes we will play before it is  back to our goalie.  I can not help it, we have been a pass the ball back team for years.

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

Again.... I want to see some sort of substance from us.... some sort of solidity, structure, purpose. 

I haven't seen this from us at all.  It doesn't  look like we are going to discover it any time soon either. 

Play 4-4-2....

Pickford

Holgate - jags- Keane- Baines

Davies - gylfi - gana - mirallas 

Rooney - DCL 

Simple as that really.  Gylfi to push on gana to get back

Agreed! Playing two defensive midfielders is clearly wrong. And I have mentioned this before; back to basics that every footballer is brought up with, but I have doubts Koeman see things this way.

We need some stable games to put confidense into the players. And maybe also Koeman, hmm...

35 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I just hope for a performance with some fight and spirit. If we turn up I'll be happy.

Damn... the current team has managed to keep the "confidence" of the fans very well since the turn of the season.... yeap, first they need to turn up and importantly they can string few forward passes together...