IGNORED

Guitar

MikeO

I know we have a few players on here so I thought I'd canvas opinion. I want to buy myself a semi-acoustic guitar; already have two (cheapish) solid bodies and an acoustic twelve string but have always loved the look of the semi. I was thinking Ibanez or Epiphone but these seem to have great reviews for less than half the moolah; what do you reckon? I'm not a serious player, just mess around for my own entertainment so I'm thinking it could be a decent option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/cutaway-semi-acoustic-electric-package-crystal/dp/B0063RHYEY?th=1

Any alternative suggestions would be very welcome also:).

Most likely built in china and uses basswood for the body, could have rough fret work and setup and pickups and electronics could be shit.  now if you just want something to bang on, sure go for it.  I would recommend looking used.  You can get a solid Epiphone or Ibanez for half price (someone else took the hit taking it off the lot) that way.  335 body style if you are a larger build, 339 style if you're smaller.  

i'm not against the cheap chinese imports just know what you're paying for.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Most likely built in china and uses basswood for the body, could have rough fret work and setup and pickups and electronics could be shit.  now if you just want something to bang on, sure go for it.  I would recommend looking used.  You can get a solid Epiphone or Ibanez for half price (someone else took the hit taking it off the lot) that way.  335 body style if you are a larger build, 339 style if you're smaller.  

i'm not against the cheap chinese imports just know what you're paying for.

Thanks Mark, that's a definite consideration. Looking at this possibly...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-Dot-cherry-Hollow-Body-Semi-Acoustic-Guitar-/112576302826?hash=item1a36120eea:g:LaUAAOSwJs1ZvTgU

Only about 70 miles away from me so no worries picking up.

yeah the dot is the 335 style.  nice thing about those guitars is if you like it but wanted to change the sound you can always swap out pickups.  also check out

Guild Starfire

Hofner Verythin (european so might be able to get a good deal or used)

Hagstrom Viking (also european)

Ibanez AS73 (Japanese but they are made well, had a friend i recorded a record with who had one, sounded great)

In all honesty Mark one of my regrets in life is that I never tried to play bass; I've never had the dexterity to be lead guitar but can be adequate in the rhythm department. Not for a moment saying bass is easy but there are far fewer players so more opportunities. My nephew started as a bass player and is now a force of nature no matter how many strings on the instrument.

Envious (not jealous because he's a brilliant lad) that I don't have that talent. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

In all honesty Mark one of my regrets in life is that I never tried to play bass; I've never had the dexterity to be lead guitar but can be adequate in the rhythm department. Not for a moment saying bass is easy but there are far fewer players so more opportunities. My nephew started as a bass player and is now a force of nature no matter how many strings on the instrument.

Envious (not jealous because he's a brilliant lad) that I don't have that talent. 

It's fair to say bass guitar is an easier instrument at which to be proficient, but probably just as difficult to master as the 6-stringed version.

no offense taken mike.  My brother used the same argument with me to convince me to play it in the first place and it worked and I had a successful career when I did it professionally thanks to him.

The big difference is bass emphasizes rhythm and supporting the song.  Sometimes easier sometimes not.  Modern guitar is just a wank fest of solos, sadly very few can actually play solid and interesting rhythm guitar, it truly is a lost art.

to be honest I stopped playing in bands with guitar players for a while.  i just found most of then (broad generalization alert) to be very selfish and wanting it all to be about them.  On the other hand a band of just rhythm section (bass drums keyboards percussion) and everyone contributes and supports one another since we do it all the time anyways.  I still like the guitar and music with it, just taking a break from some guitarists until I find the right one (I'm sure I'm not everyone's cup of tea on bass either I'm not fooling myself).

11 hours ago, MikeO said:

I know we have a few players on here so I thought I'd canvas opinion. I want to buy myself a semi-acoustic guitar; already have two (cheapish) solid bodies and an acoustic twelve string but have always loved the look of the semi. I was thinking Ibanez or Epiphone but these seem to have great reviews for less than half the moolah; what do you reckon? I'm not a serious player, just mess around for my own entertainment so I'm thinking it could be a decent option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/cutaway-semi-acoustic-electric-package-crystal/dp/B0063RHYEY?th=1

Any alternative suggestions would be very welcome also:).

Don't buy a cheap one, you want to pay out for a (half) decent one- the Epiphone Hummingbird would be my recommendation. Looks fantastic and plays really well also.

Hi Mark very interesting reading what you have to say, when you talk about rhythm rather than lead musicians, what genres do you prefer to play that highlights the best of your ability, or makes you feel connected with your guitar.

I do play a little bit badly myself since I was seventeen, started playing bass with four friends when we thought we would set the punk world alight, now just strum chords on a acoustic just to chill out luckily I have no neighbours to close so I'm not polluting anyone's ears with my twanging.

It would be good to know what inspires you.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Hi Mark very interesting reading what you have to say, when you talk about rhythm rather than lead musicians, what genres do you prefer to play that highlights the best of your ability, or makes you feel connected with your guitar.

I do play a little bit badly myself since I was seventeen, started playing bass with four friends when we thought we would set the punk world alight, now just strum chords on a acoustic just to chill out luckily I have no neighbours to close so I'm not polluting anyone's ears with my twanging.

If you mean me I was rooted in Neil Young stuff to start with so mostly acoustic, then got in a band at school doing covers of anything from Camel to Lynyrd Skynyrd (Young/Skynyrd/irony?). I've not played properly for years but my stated intent now is to get to the point where I can play a decent version of the stuff by my namesake from about 2.09 in this, it'll need a lot of work because I'm a long way off now.

16 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There could be a decent band in this forum The Toffee Heads, do we have a drummer and keyboard player in our ranks, if so I can see a record deal coming our way.

Cornish is a musician/composer but of the classic variety; don't know if he could be tempted onto the dark side.

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

Mostly soul and jazz music.  Booker t and the mgs, james brown, sly and the family stone, marvin Gaye (pretty much any Motown), for jazz stuff miles Davis, herbie Hancock, johnny Hammond smith, Reuben Wilson, jimmy smith, etc.

soul guitar is a lot of rhythm comp work.  Jazz is mostly comping but lots of chord changes.  also in the jazz form everyone takes a solo not just the guitarist.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Mostly soul and jazz music.  Booker t and the mgs, james brown, sly and the family stone, marvin Gaye (pretty much any Motown), for jazz stuff miles Davis, herbie Hancock, johnny Hammond smith, Reuben Wilson, jimmy smith, etc.

soul guitar is a lot of rhythm comp work.  Jazz is mostly comping but lots of chord changes.  also in the jazz form everyone takes a solo not just the guitarist.

Grew up with the Motown sound still as fresh now as it was in the 60s and 70s don't know to much about Jazz quite an acquired taste.