IGNORED

Brighton and Hove Albion (Away) Sunday October 15th

markjazzbassist

This could be Koeman's last match in charge unless he wins (just due to the basic vote of confidence stats, you lose after that you usually get fired).  I would expect a strong lineup.  Here's what I would like to see in a 4231, Davies box to box with Morgan the lone sitter.  

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Keane Baines

Davies Schneiderlin

Vlasic Gylfi Sandro

DCL

. . . . . .  . .Pickford 

Kenny Holgate Williams Baines 

Vlasic Davies Besic Mirallas 

Rooney   DCL

Baines isn't quick enough anymore so we need someone with pace down the left or someone to cover if he goes forward.

Going forward

........... Pickford 

... Holgate Williams Besic 

Kenny Vlasic Davies Baines 

..... Rooney DCL Mirallas 

Pickford.

Kenny. Holgate. Keane. Baines.

Vlasic. Davies. Schneiderlin. Gylfi.

Mirallas. DCL.

Trying to pick a team from our squad is near impossible we need a CF, LB, RB, CB we shouldn't be in this position Koeman and Walsh have had three windows to sort a decent squad out, yet they've failed to get the right players in the positions we are struggling in, instead they have bought a hat full of MF, if we fail at Brighton they both need to be shown the door immediately, so the new manager has a fair opportunity to evaluate the squad before the January window.

I’d go with:

Pickford

Kenny Keane Holgate Baines

Davies Schneiderlein

Lookman Sig Vlasic

DCL

I’m not sure if Holgate would be comfortable playing as a LCB, but I think it spreads the pace and experience out better in the back 4.

I’m also keen for Lookman to have a start. May as well play him while Bolasie is injured, Otherwise Lennon can sub for him.

Also while Vlasic looked decent (amongst utter shite on the weekend) on the right, I think he suits playing on the left better. Allows him to cut in more and would bring Baines into the game I reckon. 

15 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I hate to say this, but the first two names on Koeman's teamsheet will be Schneiderlin and Gueye. We can dream all we like, but the man is crazy stubborn.

Honestly, to me it’s not even the biggest issue within the team, like it’s being made out to be. It’s picking another slow central mid around them like Siggy, Rooney or Klaasen (I don’t remember many people complaining about the combo of Schneiderlein, Gana and Davies during the second half of last season). 

That and just the complete lack of pace and width in the team. Like playing Rooney, Klaasen and Siggy as three no. 10s begins a striker, or pushing Davies out wide. Until last weekend, with Vlasic starting, I can’t remember the last time he started somebody approaching a natural wide player in an XI (Looking back, last weekend was literally the first time he’d done it in the prem). Vlasic isn’t even what you’d call and out an out winger, he’s got more similarities to Osman and Pienaar when playing wide. 

Coleman’s out injured and Baines is too old to provide the sort of width he used to, so we desperately need to just pick a couple of natural wide players in the team and see how they go. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Part of the Baines problem is he's got no support ahead of him as we're so narrow, no space to run into. When he gets a chance he goes for it, but there's a gamble that no ones filling in for him which might make him hesitant. I don't think he's done just yet. 

I've been wondering if it's more of a stamina issue at his age. I know he's still capable of the odd gut-busting run, but he's sort of got to save those runs for exactly the right moment, rather than doing them constantly like he used to.

Also while we're talking about Baines can someone tell him to stop floating his crosses in so much? :shakingfist:

8 hours ago, Vranny said:

Honestly, to me it’s not even the biggest issue within the team, like it’s being made out to be. It’s picking another slow central mid around them like Siggy, Rooney or Klaasen (I don’t remember many people complaining about the combo of Schneiderlein, Gana and Davies during the second half of last season). 

That and just the complete lack of pace and width in the team. Like playing Rooney, Klaasen and Siggy as three no. 10s begins a striker, or pushing Davies out wide. Until last weekend, with Vlasic starting, I can’t remember the last time he started somebody approaching a natural wide player in an XI (Looking back, last weekend was literally the first time he’d done it in the prem). Vlasic isn’t even what you’d call and out an out winger, he’s got more similarities to Osman and Pienaar when playing wide. 

Coleman’s out injured and Baines is too old to provide the sort of width he used to, so we desperately need to just pick a couple of natural wide players in the team and see how they go. 

Schneiderlin was slowly introduced into the team likewise Gana took a while to get up and running once he got back from Africa (people seem to forget he went a bit bollocks before Christmas).  Coincidentally we turned around once Gana left and Davies played every game from January and add to that when Barry plays he boosts the players around him. Barry was fazed out, and Gana and Schneiderlin got a proper run in and hey ho we went to pot, last 8ish games we were pathetic and it's carried into this season. Common denominator is that pairing. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Part of the Baines problem is he's got no support ahead of him as we're so narrow, no space to run into. When he gets a chance he goes for it, but there's a gamble that no ones filling in for him which might make him hesitant. I don't think he's done just yet. 

He has loads of space but doesn't risk running into it. Tends to hang around just over the half way line. 

He'll have the odd burst here and there but it's very noticeable he can't do it like he used to. If the tactics need a little lb that goes forward he shouldn't be starting or we need a better plan than currently. Were Schneiderlin drops into a back three leaving Williams to deal with pacey wingers when the opposition go on the counter. 

9 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Schneiderlin was slowly introduced into the team likewise Gana took a while to get up and running once he got back from Africa (people seem to forget he went a bit bollocks before Christmas).  Coincidentally we turned around once Gana left and Davies played every game from January and add to that when Barry plays he boosts the players around him. Barry was fazed out, and Gana and Schneiderlin got a proper run in and hey ho we went to pot, last 8ish games we were pathetic and it's carried into this season. Common denominator is that pairing. 

I still think there were quite a few games where Schneiderlein, Gana, Davies and Barkley did the business towards the end of the season. I reckon the players just dropped their heads and had nothing to play for after the 0 - 0 game against West Ham late on (that’s the game I pinpoint at least). That was the biggest factor for our massive late season drop off for me. 

23 minutes ago, Vranny said:

I still think there were quite a few games where Schneiderlein, Gana, Davies and Barkley did the business towards the end of the season. I reckon the players just dropped their heads and had nothing to play for after the 0 - 0 game against West Ham late on (that’s the game I pinpoint at least). That was the biggest factor for our massive late season drop off for me. 

We didn't win an away game February onwards. Still haven't. 

From that first game in February we never got any points you wouldn't expect. 

4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

We didn't win an away game February onwards. Still haven't. 

From that first game in February we never got any points you wouldn't expect.

It felt like our away form under Koeman for all of last season was shite though. 

And I’d sure take winning the games we’re supposed to be winning at the moment then what we are doing now :P

3 hours ago, Vranny said:

I've been wondering if it's more of a stamina issue at his age. I know he's still capable of the odd gut-busting run, but he's sort of got to save those runs for exactly the right moment, rather than doing them constantly like he used to.

Also while we're talking about Baines can someone tell him to stop floating his crosses in so much? :shakingfist:

He was the only one trying for 90 mins the majority of games this season, I don't think stamina is his issue. I'm convinced it's because he's not covered if he does go up, and if he goes up there's no real support their either

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

He was the only one trying for 90 mins the majority of games this season, I don't think stamina is his issue. I'm convinced it's because he's not covered if he does go up, and if he goes up there's no real support their either

Off the ball you can see he just doesn't have it in him anymore. He is quite rigid in his running as well, bit like Yaya Toure he's only going on one direction but unfortunately without the power to push past anyone. 

19 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Off the ball you can see he just doesn't have it in him anymore. He is quite rigid in his running as well, bit like Yaya Toure he's only going on one direction but unfortunately without the power to push past anyone. 

He's certainly not the player of 2-3 years ago, obviously, but he's a lot better and does a lot more than some are saying

3 hours ago, Vranny said:

I wouldn't give up on him just yet. The feeling I get is that he's being professional and consistent but he's not bought into the game plan (assuming there is one). At this point, a new manager would rejuvenate several players, including Baines.

14 hours ago, Vranny said:

I’d go with:

Pickford

Kenny Keane Holgate Baines

Davies Schneiderlein

Lookman Sig Vlasic

DCL

I’m not sure if Holgate would be comfortable playing as a LCB, but I think it spreads the pace and experience out better in the back 4.

I’m also keen for Lookman to have a start. May as well play him while Bolasie is injured, Otherwise Lennon can sub for him.

Also while Vlasic looked decent (amongst utter shite on the weekend) on the right, I think he suits playing on the left better. Allows him to cut in more and would bring Baines into the game I reckon. 

This. Lookman deserves a go, Sandro has looked shit like most of the other summer signings so far. Let's play Sigurdsson in his proper position, with genuine pace and energy on both wings.

We know it won't happen, though. Koeman will start Gana and Schneiderlin in the middle, and try to shoehorn Rooney and Sigurdsson in together. And we won't win.

I think koeman will go with a back five again. If that’s the case you only need one sitter in the middle. 

Pickford

martina.      Keane  Williams holgate. Baine

Gana

Davies.     Gilfi.      Vlasic 

Dcl

Nothing but a win is good enough, gilfi needs to start to do something. We don’t win on Saturday then koeman can go

5 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I think koeman will go with a back five again. If that’s the case you only need one sitter in the middle. 

Pickford

Gana

Dcl

Nothing but a win is good enough, gilfi needs to start to do something. We don’t win on Saturday then koeman can go

How anyone can think Martina is suitable to be in the squad let alone the first XI is beyond me.  Otherwise this like up looks about right to me (though I'd have Jags for Williams).

7 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Pickford

Gana

Dcl

Koeman will start Schneiderlin over Davies. Also quite likely will be Klaassen over Vlasic and Rooney over DC-L.

8 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Yeah and we need a good performance too. Dominate possession, lots of chances and a couple of goals. We need to see that we have gotten out of the rut we were in before the international break.

Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case. I think we are screwed until January when we can sign an actual bloody striker with a bit of pedigree.

Frankly couldnt care less about possession provided there's effort and goals. Going on 5 years of possession football and I still find it ridiculously easy to counter and boring to watch

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

Frankly couldnt care less about possession provided there's effort and goals. Going on 5 years of possession football and I still find it ridiculously easy to counter and boring to watch

good post mate,  fully agree.  why can managers not see that you can not win a game without scoring?

26 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Yeah and we need a good performance too. Dominate possession, lots of chances and a couple of goals. We need to see that we have gotten out of the rut we were in before the international break.

Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case. I think we are screwed until January when we can sign an actual bloody striker with a bit of pedigree.

I don't see how a striker would make a difference. We're not creating anything and the defenders are having a 'mare. 

We need a manager, DM, CM (Davies), and a centre half more than a striker. 

Sick of all the slow possession shit. Time to go old school - 4-4-2, get the ball out wide and get some crosses in the box:

Pickford

Baines

Jagielka

Keane

Holgate/Kenny

Lookman

Davies

Sigurdsson

DCL

Niasse

Vlasic

I fully expect pigs to fly before Koeman ever started with that but we'd win.