IGNORED

2018 World Cup

It's less than a year away, so I thought it might be a good idea to have somewhere to discuss topics related to it.

In my FaceBook feed this morning was a link to this article. I'm not sure I'd want to be sitting in those temporary stands. They rather remind me of seats positioned on the tops of houses overlooking Wrigley Field in Chicago, except the view in this case will be much worse.

https://sports.good.is/articles/russian-stadium-response

Shame Wales won't be there, fun team to watch.  Although I wasn't looking forward to possibly facing them again.

I'm really glad Egypt managed to qualify for the first time since 1990.  Egyptians are crazy about their football; close to a 100.000 people in attendance for their last game against Congo.

The Dutch are staying home, again.  :D 

45 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Syria have taken Oz to extra time in the second leg of their play-off (both games 1-1, TC scored). On here if anyone fancies watching (it's region restricted so I'm not sure who'll be able to see it but it's OK in the UK).

great stuff Mike  any idea who they play next yet?

36 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

4th place CONCACAF team, so the U.S., Panama, or Honduras.

as shit as the US has been i would not want to play australia.  instant loss due to travel away, at home who knows what team/manager show up.  i've never been more disinterested in the US national team than i am now (coming from the guy who regularly posted in the US thread on here).  they got rid of JK and replaced him with a re-tread, the players are getting worse, he brings in the same old workhorses.  no style, no substance, just huff and puff and hope the 18 year old wonderboy wins it.

18 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

as shit as the US has been i would not want to play australia.  instant loss due to travel away, at home who knows what team/manager show up.  i've never been more disinterested in the US national team than i am now (coming from the guy who regularly posted in the US thread on here).  they got rid of JK and replaced him with a re-tread, the players are getting worse, he brings in the same old workhorses.  no style, no substance, just huff and puff and hope the 18 year old wonderboy wins it.

Yeah, While the U.S. is much more accustomed to crazy travel schedules in CONCACAF, nothing comes close to what some of the Asian nations have to do in short international breaks.

I hate to say it, but I've become a little disinterested in it as well. We just aren't that exciting to watch. I miss the Bob Bradley days and still think he was let go to soon. We need a Pochettino-type coach to get the most out our team. Our player pool isn't even that bad with Pulisic, Wood, Brooks, Yedlin, F. Johnson, Cameron, and even Ariola. There's still a decent player in Bradley and Altidore too. On paper, we should be killing it in CONCACAF.

8 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

I hate to say it, but I've become a little disinterested in it as well. We just aren't that exciting to watch. I miss the Bob Bradley days and still think he was let go to soon. We need a Pochettino-type coach to get the most out our team. Our player pool isn't even that bad with Pulisic, Wood, Brooks, Yedlin, F. Johnson, Cameron, and even Ariola. There's still a decent player in Bradley and Altidore too. On paper, we should be killing it in CONCACAF.

yeah the talent is there, they just need to clean out the dead wood.  beasley?  FFS let him go already and get a young LB in there.  Bring Garza back or something.  Bradley needs to be jettisoned as well.  Truth is i think the problem is Sunil Gulati, he just doesn't care/know enough.  Get a proper football person in there who knows the sport (not economics) and try and grow the sport.

i read an article on iceland, population 350,000 who qualified.  every single coach in their country has an equivalent of the USSF A coaching license.  Under 6 managers could coach professionally.  That's how serious they take it.  Here in the states its my fucking fat neighbor coaching the team and he just discovered the sport because his son wants to play.  it's a joke.

Spain is not going to be group leader.. more than likely they will be in "group of death".  (Germany, Spain, Croatia, Japan is possible for example)

Good news for England though, they wont face Spain or Italy in group stage.  Russia, England, Tunisia, Panama would be one of easiest draws.

3 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

Huge blow to the sport in America.

This is my great concern.  Real football — the one where all the players use their feet to kick the ball — has been booming in popularity.  Despite the mediocrity of the MLS, fans in many of its franchise cities are wildly enthusiastic.  A number of new stadiums.

Not clear to me how this totally deflating embarrassment will play out over the next few years, especially since Americans must look to Olympics and 2022 in ...... Qatar.

My own enthusiasm for the 2018 WC isn’t diminished, but for those many who are really still learning the game, its rules and nuances, its history and rivalries, teams and players, I don’t know......

Still hope Qatar decision is reviewed.

In my opinion the manager is already in the US to hire.  Tata Martino.  Barca, Argentina, Paraguay, now Atlanta FC.  They are an expansion team with players given to them (castoffs) from the other teams.  He assembled them with some signings adn they're in the playoffs, first year in the league.  Exciting attacking football, a biesla disciple (yes i know i'm a fanatic), and has national team experience managing both Paraguay and Argentina.  Sign him up and get us playing attractive football for once in a proper system.

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

In my opinion the manager is already in the US to hire.  Tata Martino.  Barca, Argentina, Paraguay, now Atlanta FC.  They are an expansion team with players given to them (castoffs) from the other teams.  He assembled them with some signings adn they're in the playoffs, first year in the league.  Exciting attacking football, a biesla disciple (yes i know i'm a fanatic), and has national team experience managing both Paraguay and Argentina.  Sign him up and get us playing attractive football for once in a proper system.

Martino has a team, but I hear David Moyes is available.

26 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Will never happen, if for no other reason he doesn't speak the language well enough. I'm saying it should come down to that, but it wouldn't surprise me. But being an Atlanta United fan, and having been to a few games...hell yes!

My actual biggest concern is what Elston Gunnn said - losing that once per 4 year window to really make the US stand up and notice "soccer". 2014 brought a flood of new fans and we're not going to get that this go around. If the US Soccer Federation doesn't burn it to the ground and rebuild it - like from youth development on up, then we should just say fuck it all.

So I need a judge's ruling here. My fam lived in England until sometime in the mid-late 1700's, so can I be an England fan in 2018? Or, are y'all gonna make me pull for Iceland or Japan or something?