IGNORED

2018 World Cup

5 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

Fuck off. Disgraceful. Huge blow to the sport in America.

Yeah, the T&T match isn't the bigger issue, it runs much deeper. We have had what 3 years that we could have qualified? It should not come down to the last match, or getting CONCACAF'ed by sketchy calls in other results.

That being said, with the sheer resources this nation has - player base as well as financial and infrastructure - losing to country that is basically 1.3 million people on a few Caribbean islands is mind blowing. We lost to what would rank 40th if it was a US metro area. Right between Milwaukee and Jacksonville...And yes Iceland would beat us 5-0, but that's beside the point!

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

In my opinion the manager is already in the US to hire.  Tata Martino.  Barca, Argentina, Paraguay, now Atlanta FC.  They are an expansion team with players given to them (castoffs) from the other teams.  He assembled them with some signings adn they're in the playoffs, first year in the league.  Exciting attacking football, a biesla disciple (yes i know i'm a fanatic), and has national team experience managing both Paraguay and Argentina.  Sign him up and get us playing attractive football for once in a proper system.

Atlanta United has had a fantastic season. Every game has been sold out. When the new football stadium was complete, they moved games there (with a capacity of 70,000) and still were sold out. As you point out, they've made the play-offs in their first season. That has to say something about the calibre of their manager.

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Atlanta United has had a fantastic season. Every game has been sold out. When the new football stadium was complete, they moved games there (with a capacity of 70,000) and still were sold out. As you point out, they've made the play-offs in their first season. That has to say something about the calibre of their manager.

Screw the US having him, send him over here; not for England but for Everton:D.

25 minutes ago, holystove said:

final four Uefa spots : sweden - italy; denmark - ireland; croatia - greece; NI - switzerland

I expect (and hope) Italy, Ireland, Croatia and Switzerland will go to Russia.

I hope Sweden, NI, ROI and Greece but I'll be lucky to get one from the four.

2 hours ago, holystove said:

final four Uefa spots : sweden - italy; denmark - ireland; croatia - greece; NI - switzerland

I expect (and hope) Italy, Ireland, Croatia and Switzerland will go to Russia.

Give me ROI, NI, Croatia, Sweden.

Am not rooting against Denmark, but Italy wasted 2010 and 2014, Greece plays horrible football, NI would be too good of a story (don't wish ill on Switzerland)...

But who cares, the U.S. won't be there, so this tournament can go to hell anyways.

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

USA and Italy both out.  I guess they would be the “big” sides not to make it.  Last of the qualifiers are austrailia Honduras and Peru New Zealand.  I think Peru and the aussies will prevail.

I have a bad feeling we’ll boss Honduras at home, won’t finish our chances and go out 1 - 0 to a goal on the counter. It’s what we’ve been doing all during qualifiers. 

36 minutes ago, Vranny said:

I have a bad feeling we’ll boss Honduras at home, won’t finish our chances and go out 1 - 0 to a goal on the counter. It’s what we’ve been doing all during qualifiers. 

honduras have pace but not great defending.  not to mention the flight alone with mess with their players so much.  you have a strong advantage at home.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

honduras have pace but not great defending.  not to mention the flight alone with mess with their players so much.  you have a strong advantage at home.

Yeah, it’s definitely to our advantage with only a game at home left, but their pace worries me and we pack a natural finisher these days to put our chances. 

Italy had 2 clear penalty shouts but so did Sweden. Sweden outplayed Italy in the first leg and Italy crushed Sweden in the second but had very few clear chances. Id say that Sweden parked the bus and took care of the Italians. 

Italy were shockingly bad in the first leg and ineffective in the second leg and Sweden fully deserved the world cup spot. Remember they did also knock out the Netherlands in the group stage of the quals. 

Sweden has very little flair in the team these days, there is no Ljungberg, no Zlatan, no Brolin, no Limpar etc (only flair player is Forsberg and he had a field day against Italy in the first leg) but Sweden are back to being a very effective no bs team. Same as they were in the early 90s when they came third in the world cup and went far in the euros. 

Sweden also won the U21 Euros not long ago and those players are starting to make a mark on the senior squad. 

My question to you guys, are you really shocked about the results last night? Most people on SoMe seem genuinely shocked that Sweden knocked out Italy but I'm not. Italy have been poor lately and Sweden are a good team.  

2 hours ago, Peter H said:

My question to you guys, are you really shocked about the results last night? Most people on SoMe seem genuinely shocked that Sweden knocked out Italy but I'm not. Italy have been poor lately and Sweden are a good team.  

Not shocked at all. You have and have had many talented players on the swedish national team. Grattis, Peter H och Sverige.

13 minutes ago, Sev said:

Not shocked at all. You have and have had many talented players on the swedish national team. Grattis, Peter H och Sverige.

Thx Sev, rooting for Denmark tonight. (Sorry RoI fans) We need more nordic countries in the world cup and the Danish supporters are awesome. So are the Irish, will never forget the swedish vs Irish fans in the euros, (the swedish chants of "go home, to your ugly wifes and the irish responded with "your shit, but your girls are fit")

Id be happy to see Ireland go through to but Ieaning towards Denmark

From a football-wieving point, I'd personally like to see Ireland go through. To be honest; I havn't really seen any good football from Denmarks side for many years. Damn shame the Laudrup-kids didn't seem to have the motivation/talent to progress.

On the other side I have had many good laughs with my younger brother when Denmark played. So if not playing good then at least they usually do something entertaining/clownish.

Hopefully tonights match will be entertaining and dramatic.

16 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

Happy to see Sweden in and Italy out after underachieving in 2010 and 2014. Absolutely hate it for Gigi Buffon though. Top class man and professional - perfect example for any fan or aspiring football player on how to act.

I'd rather see Italy in just because of Buffon, but if Zlatan was still playing for Sweden I'd be ecstatic. He's one of my all-time favorites.