IGNORED

Who should replace Koeman?

Who should be Everton's new manager?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see replace Ronald Koeman as manager of Everton?

• Carlo Ancelotti
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Eddie Howe
    • Sean Dyche
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Sam Allardyce
    • Rafael Benitez
    • David Unsworth
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Someone else
    • Keep Koeman

6 minutes ago, aaron said:

He is at Nantes, hasn't been there long so wouldn't come here anyway.

Big Carlo is my choice, again, highly doubtful we would land him. We'll end up with Big Sam, at least then we wouldn't be relegated!

Unsworth I don't think is ready for a Premier League team, yes he's done very well with the U23's but that is a huge difference to the Prem. Need someone to come in a steady this slowly sinking ship, someone with experience.

Mine too, but I think Ranieri would fit us well. Good character but can discipline a team without being a prick about it. For some reason I thought he'd gone to China :doh:

8 hours ago, Paddock said:

If we appoint Unsworth on a permanent basis it’ll end in tears- to step in until we get a top class manager fair enough but not on a full time basis for me- he’s not ready. You only have to look at Stubbs to see that there is a massive difference between U23 and first team management.

this for me too.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

With the calls for Fat Sam, Rodgers et al, we may have already :(

LOL

1 minute ago, Chach said:

I disagree with sacking a manager after only 8 games on general principle, so am sticking with Koeman.

As do I.

But I think the concern is, certainly mine, is that we've played 15 games this season and the performances (all results aside) aren't improving much at all.

And with each passing game, and each poor performance, or at least each game where we only get one half of effort, you do start to look back a bit further and you do start asking more questions.

Just now, Newty82 said:

As do I.

But I think the concern is, certainly mine, is that we've played 15 games this season and the performances (all results aside) aren't improving much at all.

And with each passing game, and each poor performance, or at least each game where we only get one half of effort, you do start to look back a bit further and you do start asking more questions.

I wasn't that convinced with him last season when everyone was sucking him off, but we've lost our two best players and brought in a raft of new players and I don't think a knee jerk reaction to a poor start is a clear path to improvement with the current team.

2 minutes ago, Chach said:

I wasn't that convinced with him last season when everyone was sucking him off, but we've lost our two best players and brought in a raft of new players and I don't think a knee jerk reaction to a poor start is a clear path to improvement with the current team.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but this isn't knee jerk in my opinion. I wasn't convinced with him either last season, though I was warming to him towards the end, and after making far too much change on top of his man-management "skills",  he's just screwed too much up to repair.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Ordinarily I'd agree, but this isn't knee jerk in my opinion. I wasn't convinced with him either last season, though I was warming to him towards the end, and after making far too much change on top of his man-management "skills",  he's just screwed too much up to repair.

Yeah we're in a bad spot no doubt, but on top of how early in the season its is, the overwhelming consensus among players and managers who have played/coached at the highest level including ex toffees seems to be that he should be given more time. I'm minded to trust their judgement at this stage over the baying mob on facebook.

Still fucking depressing though, can't see where the goals/wins are going to come from with this team so handing the job to anyone other than a football genius could be top flight suicide.

3 minutes ago, Chach said:

Yeah we're in a bad spot no doubt, but on top of how early in the season its is, the overwhelming consensus among players and managers who have played/coached at the highest level including ex toffees seems to be that he should be given more time. I'm minded to trust their judgement at this stage over the baying mob on facebook.

Still fucking depressing though, can't see where the goals/wins are going to come from with this team so handing the job to anyone other than a football genius could be top flight suicide.

I'm usually one of the more patient and optimistic posters (I'd like to think so at least) but I don't see any signs of improvement over the games we've had. I know there's much more qualified folk too, but my gut said too much change would fuck us before the window, and so far I don't see anything to prove me wrong so far. For me the season starting earlier should've been a positive thing, as it was more competitive, but we're still playing now like we did in the first game - just seems like we're playing friendlies each week whilst the opposition know's it's competitive

Ha had a season and 15 games for me now and I’m still not seeing anything from him to suggest he is good enough for the job.

last season we meekly fell out of cup competitions and ... in my opinion lived of a Lukaku purple patch. When Lukaku wasn’t scoring, we weren’t scoring.

funnily enough, it’s the same this season isn’t it?

So Leicester City have sacked Craig Shakespeare! Clearly struggling near the bottom of the table isn’t good enough for them so they have taken decisive action. Meanwhile, at Everton . . . 

Another lesson to be learned here however is a possible parallel between what has happened with Shakespeare and what would very likely be the story with Unsworth. If he were to get the job I have no doubt personally that he would lift the team and get better results than Koeman. He knows the club, the players the fans etc and he would be a breath of fresh air and I’m certain that the players would respond. However that would only work short to medium term (Christmas/end of season) and then he would not have the long term credibility or respect to either attract or continue to manage first team players. 

Leicester have shown me two things . . 

1) Have the balls to make the tough decisions and make changes when it is blatantly obvious that they are needed.

2) Promotion from within could be a good and sensible stopgap but it is not the long term answer. 

7 hours ago, Chach said:

See I don't agree. It isn't just that we're playing shite that should get him the sack. It is the fact that he is setting up the team wrong, glaringly wrong, game after game after game, sticking to a plan that not only isn't working, but never will. I don't think it takes a football genius to put some creativity in the middle of the park and some pace out wide, and look to actually have a go at the opposition. He deserves the sack because on the current tactical evidence, he should not be in management.

2 hours ago, Bluemineck said:

So Leicester City have sacked Craig Shakespeare! Clearly struggling near the bottom of the table isn’t good enough for them so they have taken decisive action. Meanwhile, at Everton . . . 

Another lesson to be learned here however is a possible parallel between what has happened with Shakespeare and what would very likely be the story with Unsworth. If he were to get the job I have no doubt personally that he would lift the team and get better results than Koeman. He knows the club, the players the fans etc and he would be a breath of fresh air and I’m certain that the players would respond. However that would only work short to medium term (Christmas/end of season) and then he would not have the long term credibility or respect to either attract or continue to manage first team players. 

Leicester have shown me two things . . 

1) Have the balls to make the tough decisions and make changes when it is blatantly obvious that they are needed.

2) Promotion from within could be a good and sensible stopgap but it is not the long term answer. 

Have they? They are still playing a load of the title winning side who ever since winning a Premier League medal seem to think it is optional whether they turn up for a match or not. The tough decision would surely be to ship out the likes of Mahrez and Vardy who have been dismal since. 

If we could get Ancelotti or Tunchel, I think Koeman would be gone already. If Koeman’s future is in doubt then we’ll have already sounded out potential successors in some form... his job may not be under as much threat as many would hope/believe or the other options aren’t so inspiring or interested.

Tunchel would be a no brainer but maybe out of reach. Ancelotti short-term with Unsworth by his side again a no brainer but maybe out of reach. If it wasn’t a big (almost dreamland) appointment then I would prefer Unsworth given the chance but, as many have said, it’d be a huge risk for him and us.

38 minutes ago, nogs said:

Have they? They are still playing a load of the title winning side who ever since winning a Premier League medal seem to think it is optional whether they turn up for a match or not. The tough decision would surely be to ship out the likes of Mahrez and Vardy who have been dismal since. 

Yes. The tough decision is to dismiss the manager (who may well have been a popular appointment) and then they will appoint someone capable of making the tough decisions that you mention above. 

I feel sorry for Shakespeare. He did a great job with them last year and I think they have played pretty well this year too without getting the results. They have certainly been playing better than us. If anything they are playing like they did when they won the league just without the luck!

13 minutes ago, Bluemineck said:

Yes. The tough decision is to dismiss the manager (who may well have been a popular appointment) and then they will appoint someone capable of making the tough decisions that you mention above. 

Felt Ranieri was the scapegoat myself for shocking attitude shown by certain players.

I would love Unsworth in charge. 

Imagine seeing a passionate manager on the sidelines, who the players want to play for. He’ll put his faith in youngsters, he’ll boost those low in confidence, a proper man-manager. The fans will be on board too.

Stuff experience. Zidane hasn’t done too bad at Real and Pep did ok at Barca.

Ancelotti is the big name, but for me doesn’t feel quite right. 

1 minute ago, nogs said:

Felt Ranieri was the scapegoat myself for shocking attitude shown by certain players.

They definitely moved away from what made them title winners the previous season. They started playing out from the back etc when they never did before. 

Sorry folks but I have to say something here.....  Wake up and smell the roses.

Some people will still be saying "it is too soon to sack him "  next May when we are 10 points adrift of safety with one game to play.  He has not had 8 games, not even 15 games  he has had more than a season of games.  So arguing he has not had enough time does not mean anything anymore.  

Whether or not he is sacked can we just forget about time served?

Julian Nagelsman, if we could pry him away (and his English is good enough).

Unsworth as a caretaker, wouldn't want to dump him with the pressure permanently just yet.

Carlo Ancellotti or Tuchel as the permanent, available, options.

I did like Lucien Favre as well, but Nice looked to have slipped backwards again.

2 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

Julian Nagelsman, if we could pry him away (and his English is good enough).

Unsworth as a caretaker, wouldn't want to dump him with the pressure permanently just yet.

Carlo Ancellotti or Tuchel as the permanent, available, options.

I did like Lucien Favre as well, but Nice looked to have slipped backwards again.

Not sure why you think 30-year-old Nagelsmann is ready while 44-year-old Unsworth is not, especially given how well Unsworth knows the team and the league.

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Not sure why you think 30-year-old Nagelsmann is ready while 44-year-old Unsworth is not, especially given how well Unsworth knows the team and the league.

Fair point...I do think the pressure would be greater on Unsworth as an Evertonian though.  Plus Nagelsman already has runs on the board in the top flight.  Doing well again this year, despite losing 2 of his best players from last year.

I pretty much just really like the idea of him.  His man/player management is supposed to be outstanding, his tactics sound enjoyable and aren't too much of a change (aside from fast wingers) from existing for the players.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2016/11/26/tactical-philosophy-julian-nagelsmann/