IGNORED

David Unsworth

Thought that since he will be our manager for an unknown length of time he deserves a thread of his own.

I like the way he is and I'm sure he will get lots of respect from the players.  With Chelsea, Lyon, and fellow strugglers Leicester as his baptism, I think it could have been a better time for him if Koemans stayed for the Chelsea game.

But anyway, welcome David I wish you lots of luck in your new venture.

I recall the first time I became aware of Unsworth - I had some sort of footy annual as a kid, he was interviewed as a 15/16 year old..... I recall him looking 20 not a teenager.

Around 1994-1996 I thought he was absolutely superb.... I remember him out muscling John Fashanu on his first game for Villa, Fashanu was full of praise for him.... I recall him making Mark Hughes lose his rag and stamp on him....

He did a complete U Turn from villa to join Everton - was about to sign for them, as soon as he knew we were interested he told the manager "I want Everton".

True blue.... Good luck Unsy

26 minutes ago, Chach said:

Absolutely chalk and cheese. Doesn't want to single anyone out, absolutely showers Ross with love (and actually sounded positive about him signing if he remained), he sounds like he has a very clear way of how he wants to play and wants to stamp his authority on the side. Every other word was win, there will be no sitting back and getting our arses handed to us. If we do get stuffed, it wont be for the want of trying.

A lot has been made of Bainesy and his age and his legs but if he plays under Unsworth I am confident we will see him bombing up and down that touchline once again.

45 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Absolutely chalk and cheese. Doesn't want to single anyone out, absolutely showers Ross with love (and actually sounded positive about him signing if he remained), he sounds like he has a very clear way of how he wants to play and wants to stamp his authority on the side. Every other word was win, there will be no sitting back and getting our arses handed to us. If we do get stuffed, it wont be for the want of trying.

A lot has been made of Bainesy and his age and his legs but if he plays under Unsworth I am confident we will see him bombing up and down that touchline once again.

He's done what he's done in the U23s by being very clear about how he wants to play, organising his sides properly, and going out to win football matches. Different level but a sound philosophy. I really hope he smashes it. 

22 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Some kids can come in and mix it at a young age, like Tom Davies. Others need a bit more time to develop. Dowell is one of those players

So the clamour for him is a bit misplaced then. He’s where he needs to be right now, playing regular first-team football. It’d be stupid to bring him back. 

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

So the clamour for him is a bit misplaced then. He’s where he needs to be right now, playing regular first-team football. It’d be stupid to bring him back. 

I only thought it because Unsworth is a big admirer of him and if there was an opening he would more than likely bring him back (but there isnt - and I wasnt suggesting he should).

Dowell does look as though he has that eye for a pass not many others do. He plays more like he is Spanish than English. Physically he is nothing special so he just needs to mature a bit, so like you say, he is in the right place for now.

25 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I only thought it because Unsworth is a big admirer of him and if there was an opening he would more than likely bring him back (but there isnt - and I wasnt suggesting he should).

Dowell does look as though he has that eye for a pass not many others do. He plays more like he is Spanish than English. Physically he is nothing special so he just needs to mature a bit, so like you say, he is in the right place for now.

I know you weren’t saying he should be brought back, but plenty have and others that he shouldn’t have been loaned out in the first place. I couldn’t disagree more.

Back to Unsworth :lol: I do absolutely love his attitude - I’ve said it before but his whole ethos is to win, nothing less. And that is something I can totally get behind. And you get the impression that players love to play for him, that they’d run through brick walls him because he’d ask them to do nothing he wasn’t willing to do himself for this club.

i don’t know if he’s the long-term answer for us but I’m more than happy for him to come in temporarily. 

Liked unsworth as a player. Wasn’t the greatest player but give you 100% every week and I think he will Instill that into the players. Koeman I don’t think ever got us a club, Martinez did more but going off what osman says about Martinez giving mirrallas a free licence not to track back etc you can’t allow passengers in your side. I hope he does the business and gets the job. If the right man isn’t available then just let him carry on with the job long term. 

7 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Liked unsworth as a player. Wasn’t the greatest player but give you 100% every week and I think he will Instill that into the players. Koeman I don’t think ever got us a club, Martinez did more but going off what osman says about Martinez giving mirrallas a free licence not to track back etc you can’t allow passengers in your side. I hope he does the business and gets the job. If the right man isn’t available then just let him carry on with the job long term. 

Martinez did that to leave a 1 v 1 against the full back and an instant outlet. It's one of the things that won him the FA Cup as McManaman skinned the left back all game. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

I have already wondered whether Unsy would consider getting Dowell back in from loan but the last thing we need is another number 10!

Was thinking this driving home today! It's a shame we have so many Dowell looks the dogs bollocks.

As for Unsy, im very happy he is in temporarily and hope he does well and makes the role his own, But if he does it means we have to back him I  January to bring in a striker, placing lots of money in his hands. Koeman had already pissed loads of it up the wall and I'm sure the board will be cautious.

Best of luck rhino. 

Just watched the press conference, thought he spoke really well, composed and talked about "us, the team, we" is what we need just now a leader who is a true team player. I really hope he does well,  as fans we need to get behind the team, particularly at Goodison, on Sunday it felt as we were resigned to getting battered once again.

3 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Your talking about Wigan now, it didn’t have any success at our place did it? 

Yeh it did at times. He tried getting Geri or Mirallas isolated and prepared to take on their man but the quality of ball across was generally the problem. Someone on here used to moan all the time that x player wasnt coming back

The most memorable example for us is the Arsenal game where Lukaku played wide against the full back.