IGNORED

David Unsworth

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Yes, and then I'm making the point that they are bigger than before, not big in my opinion; they're rich, done well recently and have a squad to go on to be big. I remember them dropping down to league 2,  and before 2011-12 they'd won 2 titles and 4 FA cups. Hardly an impressive CV.

I'm saying success is success, over the whole history of a club. Even if you can define "current" success, then it's cherry-picking. 10 years is a good indicator of recent success, sure, but it's not a timeline to define how big a club is. That's based on the whole history.

I'm going around in circles. Going to get the match ready.

I'm looking at it based on facts, no glasses needed. I would need glasses to only see what I want to see and ignore the rest ;)

If you can become bigger than you can also become smaller.

2 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

If you can become bigger than you can also become smaller.

Do your titles get taken away from you if you don't keep winning them? 

Everyone else can get bigger, and you can be left standing still. This is what's happened the last 30 years. But fact is, we were so far ahead of 95% of the teams, we're still bigger than most which makes us a big club

Just now, Matt said:

Do your titles get taken away from you if you don't keep winning them? 

Everyone else can get bigger, and you can be left standing still. This is what's happened the last 30 years. But fact is, we were so far ahead of 95% of the teams, we're still bigger than most.

If everyone around you becomes bigger then you become relatively smaller.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Just now, tonkaroost said:

If everyone around you becomes bigger then you become relatively smaller.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

When the likes of City and Chelsea have their 9 titles each (they've 10 combined, likely to be 11 this season), I'll stop arguing. But even then, and assuming  United, Arsenal and Liverpool, get their act together and win something, we'll still be in the top 7 teams for winning things.

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Any chance of Unsworth getting a mention in the "Unsworth" thread?

That's unsworthy of a response

Map the history of football.... Everton is a constant.... at the forefront off everything over the years.

Unfortunately many people like man United fans and Chelsea fans seem to believe the record books only started in the 90's. 

It's not about economics... it's much more than that.  Many fan bases consist of semi interested shirt buyers.... not passionate supporters.  

We have as many if not more GENUINE football fans than any team in England. Forget all this bollocks about man United getting 70000 fans.... ivevsat amongst them.... the majority are disinterested. They walk off with a shrug when they lose.... to us it's more.

Shouldn't even need explaining..

16 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Map the history of football.... Everton is a constant.... at the forefront off everything over the years.

Unfortunately many people like man United fans and Chelsea fans seem to believe the record books only started in the 90's. 

It's not about economics... it's much more than that.  Many fan bases consist of semi interested shirt buyers.... not passionate supporters.  

We have as many if not more GENUINE football fans than any team in England. Forget all this bollocks about man United getting 70000 fans.... ivevsat amongst them.... the majority are disinterested. They walk off with a shrug when they lose.... to us it's more.

Shouldn't even need explaining..

except the last 20

28 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

except the last 20

Which is a little over one tenth of our history...  no club has spent more years in the top flight. 

Man United went 26 years without a title before they bagged a load under Fergie.

Fook me... if we can't even convince some of our own fans of our size and importance then we are doomed.

I met Richard gough on a beach who was with mendieta- told him I was a blue.  Goughs reply......"now that is a proper football club".... those who matter know.  Sir Alex Ferguson - Harry Redknapp  all have said we are a huge football club. 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

20 years out of 139 years. Is it good enough? No. Does it detract from the size of our club or our success? Fuck no.

that's your blue tinted glasses.  of course its not good enough.  meanwhile the other big clubs arsenal and man united won trophy after trophy, euro success, top players, top revenues, massive new stadium for arsenal.  we went backwards for 22 years, they never have.

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

that's your blue tinted glasses.  of course its not good enough.  meanwhile the other big clubs arsenal and man united won trophy after trophy, euro success, top players, top revenues, massive new stadium for arsenal.  we went backwards for 22 years, they never have.

What exactly are you arguing??? 

Man city were relegated to league 2 less than 10 years ago.... they were pulling in 300000 fans plus at that time.... a big club. 

I don't think you get it. 

Based on your crazy logic a club could have won the league 80 times in the last 100 years and yet they are a smaller club because they haven't won it in the last 20?

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Again, that's just fact. United haven't won the league in 5 years, Arsenal must be going on 15. Not sure why you keep implying I'm making stuff up

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Again, that's just fact. United haven't won the league in 5 years, Arsenal must be going on 15. Not sure why you keep implying I'm making stuff up

I would argue that the consequence to that is that now Man City and Chelsea sign a lot of the players that would've previously gone to (especially) Arsenal and to a lesser extent, Man U

3 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

I would argue that the consequence to that is that now Man City and Chelsea sign a lot of the players that would've previously gone to (especially) Arsenal and to a lesser extent, Man U

Arsenal and United have signed tonnes of players, just not as good as Chelsea and City, and they've had poor managers/recruitment. 

Put it this way. 20 people in the room are comparing their stack of beans. Only 4 other clubs come close to our stack of beans, and in future maybe 2-3 others will catch up who recently got a credit card and went looking for the best way of getting beans. Does that mean we've not got as many beans as before? No. Does it mean we need to improve drastically to get more beans? Absolutely. 

It really is a load of nonsense.... Chelsea?  If they did a man city and were in league 2 you reckon they would get 30000 fans???? Bollocks they would.

Man city proved themselves bigger when they were shit - not when the sheikh bought them. 

Judge a club by it's authenticity....  look at green bay packers..... a huge, authentic and grand NFL team. 

Big teams in England?

Everton

Man United

Arsenal

Aston villa

Man city

Spurs

Leeds

Yes liverpool

Id say wolves are bigger than Chelsea. 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

you thick matt?  FFS trophies are more than the league.  FA cup and League cup, united and arsenal are winning them every other year (reminder we haven't won either in 22 years).  So you only base big club on how many times they won the league?  

2 minutes ago, hafnia said:

It really is a load of nonsense.... Chelsea?  If they did a man city and were in league 2 you reckon they would get 30000 fans???? Bollocks they would.

Man city proved themselves bigger when they were shit - not when the sheikh bought them. 

Judge a club by it's authenticity....  look at green bay packers..... a huge, authentic and grand NFL team. 

Big teams in England?

Everton

Man United

Arsenal

Aston villa

Man city

Spurs

Leeds

Id say wolves are bigger than Chelsea. 

Being a Geordie quite disappointed you never mentioned the Toon.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

you thick matt?  FFS trophies are more than the league.  FA cup and League cup, united and arsenal are winning them every other year (reminder we haven't won either in 22 years).  So you only base big club on how many times they won the league?  

Oh in which case Portsmouth and Wigan must be big...... fa cup winners.... Wimbledon?