IGNORED

Lyon (Europa Group Stage Away) Thursday November 2nd

markjazzbassist

Martina was a disaster in his last match at LB.  Absolutely no left foot.  None, and opposing players knew it.

But as Keane, Jagielka, and Baines have not made the trip, surely Holgate will play CH with Williams, a pairing that itself inspires no confidence.  Either Martina will be the LB - likely and frightening - or Unsworth gambles with a very unusual threesome at the back - unlikely and frightening.

That Unsworth has left those 3 behind - Keane and Baines understandably, Jagielka a bit more puzzling - says to me that the manager has highly prioritized Watford over the Europa League.  I can’t criticize that decision, but what appears to be a signal from our manager  that he can only hope for a miracle against Lyon, limits my enthusiam approaching tomorrow’s match, which is being televised in the US.  Major bummer.

I will hope Davies or Besic starts at LB.

I’ll guess .....

Kenny Holgate Williams ????

Schneiderlin

Vlasic Sigurdsson Mirallas

DCL Niasse

Does it make any difference?  It will take a miracle.

4 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Martina was a disaster in his last match at LB.  Absolutely no left foot.  None, and opposing players knew it.

But as Keane, Jagielka, and Baines have not made the trip, surely Holgate will play CH with Williams, a pairing that itself inspires no confidence.  Either Martina will be the LB - likely and frightening - or Unsworth gambles with a very unusual threesome at the back - unlikely and frightening.

That Unsworth has left those 3 behind - Keane and Baines understandably, Jagielka a bit more puzzling - says to me that the manager has highly prioritized Watford over the Europa League.  I can’t criticize that decision, but what appears to be a signal from our manager  that he can only hope for a miracle against Lyon, limits my enthusiam approaching tomorrow’s match, which is being televised in the US.  Major bummer.

I will hope Davies or Besic starts at LB.

I’ll guess .....

Kenny Holgate Williams ????

Schneiderlin

Vlasic Sigurdsson Mirallas

DCL Niasse

Does it make any difference?  It will take a miracle.

I'd still be reluctant to start Niasse but no issue him coming on for the last 30. I'd like to Davies/Beni in where Siggy is and move Siggy up off DCL.

10 hours ago, Btay said:

Hahah I was thinking that!! 😂 I tried to teach myself French but gave up once I realised their was masculine and feminine words - it's like learning 2 languages to speak one 😑

Welcome Emeric - I hope they put in a performance.

same formation as the chelsea game for me with Gana/Morgan for mccarthy and vlasic for Lennon. I'd go kenny holgate and williams but no idea on the lb spot.

Try German, that's got 3 genders (plus plural) and 4 cases meaning there's potentially 16 ways you can say "the". Still an interesting language to speak though, you can have a lot of fun with the vocabulary and accent :)

1 hour ago, Vranny said:

I’d be reluctant to start Niasse, as he isn’t registered for the Europa League :P

Ah, that means we need at least 2 miracles.

I’ll go with Btay’s amendment above, playing Davies where I had Sigurdsson, and moving Sigurdsson closer to DCL.

Seeing no good option for LB, I’ll opt for a 3d miracle, and start Davies both at ACM and LB.

Or a different 3d miracle: start Martina at LB.

45 minutes ago, Matt said:

Try German, that's got 3 genders (plus plural) and 4 cases meaning there's potentially 16 ways you can say "the". Still an interesting language to speak though, you can have a lot of fun with the vocabulary and accent :)

That sounds like an actual nightmare!!!

we learn Japanese in school as kids where I went and it really hasn't done me any favours - nor can I speak or read it 🤔

3 minutes ago, Btay said:

Yes, I agree, Martina at LB is an actual nightmare.

i don’t know whether Feeney is left-footed, but Unsworth said yesterday something to the effect that if Feeney’s involved in today’s match, it would likely be off the bench.  Presumably at the point in the match when Unsworth sees that Martina failed to use his left foot 3 straight times when he should have.....

Although I would prefer even Besic at LB, I am resigned to the likelihood that Martina will start there.  But his dismaying NoLeftFoot performance was exactly 2 weeks ago at Goodison against ....... Lyon.  So our opponents will know going in that Everton are unusually weakened in this position.  An actual nightmare.

I will pray, metaphorically speaking, that Martina produces a miracle, with a couple of scintillating left-footed crosses for Everton goals.

3 hours ago, Btay said:

I found German much easier to learn than French, and I only did it for three years against seven for French and although I can communicate in France I'm more comfortable with German. It's a very "logical" language I think whereas French is romantic (not that I'm perpetuating racial stereotypes:lol:).

44 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I found German much easier to learn than French, and I only did it for three years against seven for French and although I can communicate in France I'm more comfortable with German. It's a very "logical" language I think whereas French is romantic (not that I'm perpetuating racial stereotypes:lol:).

Me too, was more or less fluent just on lessons, but needed to live in a French speaking country to "master" French

Let’s hallucinate - uh, speculate - here.  Maybe he’s hoping to hold them nil-nil until the 70th minute, then bring on Mirallas, Vlasic, and DCL to nip a goal in the 89th minute.

Bizarre.  It’s as if he’s brutally declaring that this match is totally meaningless, that only Watford counts.  A nil-nil draw does us no good.

If this is a humiliating performance and loss, it would take a superb performance on Sunday for Unsworth to have even a prayer of being given more time.

This is a 'Well we aren't scoring so why start with a striker' type line up.

Rhino...Rhino...Rhino...I thought you really wanted this job?

As always, I'm optimistic for a result and performance. But...well...that just isn't a confidence filling line up.

Can't believe we've give up on 2 cups already.