IGNORED

Watford (Home) Sunday November 5th

markjazzbassist

On 31/10/2017 at 21:00, pete0 said:

Seen it all on here now, drop Rooney so we can hope to get a clean sheet. How does Rooney playing stop defenders from defending?

Because he is a number 10 who tries to play left back def mid striker. If he stuck to his position then we may hold a structure but when he drops to deep no one knows what they are doing. That said the whole team are shite

3 hours ago, memmaclub2 said:

Because he is a number 10 who tries to play left back def mid striker. If he stuck to his position then we may hold a structure but when he drops to deep no one knows what they are doing. That said the whole team are shite

Last night debunks that theory I think. 

On 10/30/2017 at 04:29, Matt said:

There's 28 games left, we're not in a relegation battle. Yet. If we're in the same situation after Christmas, I'll get worried.

Points will be hard to come by if we keep playing the way we have in the last 2 first halves (and all the other games under Koeman). If we play like we have been in the second half, we will start winning. 2 wins gives us 14 points which is currently good enough for 8th. So lets get at them

Pickford

Holgate Jags Williams Baines

Beni

Vlasic Davies Glyfi Mirallas 

DCL

Some sense at last. Thank you!

I'd like to go on record by thanking Unsworth for promoting Beni to the first team. I'm reading little other than complaints against Unsworth, but just about everyone has included Beni in their preferred team. Koeman, in a million years, wouldn't have done that. Unsworth has an eye for a player, this being the latest example.

14 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'd like to go on record by thanking Unsworth for promoting Beni to the first team. I'm reading little other than complaints against Unsworth, but just about everyone has included Beni in their preferred team. Koeman, in a million years, wouldn't have done that. Unsworth has an eye for a player, this being the latest example.

Good call. At the moment he has a squad to pick from that has been performing dire for a long time. We are seeing snippets of change in a positive way and that has to count for something. 

Mot shows how poor people rate Koeman as they want Unsy gone after three matches... we’ll most after two. That’s how bad they rate Koeaman as they expect any new guy to click their fingers and turn it around.

We know that Unsworth is going to set up 4-3-2-1 so it will be interesting to see how things change following the last couple of games. I am sure he will want to be much more on the front foot and create more chances than we have done in the last couple.

GK - Pickford - This is probably the only position that picks itself on merit.

LB - Baines - He is the only one we have.

RB - Kenny - I think his performances have been underrated because of one or two mistakes. There are times were I have been really impressed with his defending and his final ball. I wouldnt want to have to rely on him week after week but he is the best option we have.

CB - If we want to be on the front foot we will need some pace. Williams frustrates me as his head seems to drop when the game goes against him. Jags was rested so Jags should play and I would pair him up with Holgate for his pace. They all make mistakes so at least play the one who has the pace to cover.

CM - The mistake we have made in a central 3 in midfield is that you can only have one player of limited ability and mobility otherwise you end up turning over possession if no-one is supporting the strikers or just playing safe and sideways if they arent capable of making forward passes or taking their man on in the right situation. Schneiderlin doesnt deserve to see the first team given his last 2 red cards. Gana has the legs but doesnt have the ability to be anything other than a hit man and McCarthy is injured. Beni has been great and should play as the limited DM, not because he cant do more, but because he has done well in that role so far and he shouldnt be given too much responsibility. On one side should be Davies and as a massive surprise to me, I would play Besic on the other side. He is better on the ball than Gueye and he has a similar engine. Without seeing Klaasen, I dont really know what to expect from him but if he is fit he should come into consideration as well because from what I have seen of him, this is the type of role he would suit.

Wingers - Unsworth wants pace and directness out wide. Lennon has done a solid job but he just isnt good enough anymore. He could beat his man but he wont pick out the pace or get a shot on target. Mirallas is hot and cold but fits the bill, Lookman did really well against Lyon and should come into consideration on that performance. If Vlasic is fit he has to start on one side and I would go with one of Lookman or Mirallas on the other.

Striker - This is the million dollar question as all options have big question marks about them. Rooney is the most likely starter in my opinion. He doesn't have the pace which I would like to see but he can make up for it in other ways., Will he stay up front though? If he isnt getting into the box when the wingers are taking their man on, its pointless him playing. I would like to see DCL given another go up top. He has everything and when he starts getting some decent service and a goal or two behind him, I believe he can score goals. He is the only striker we have that can hold up the ball, get in behind and win the ball in the air. Niasse shouldn't be anything other than an option from the bench in the last 20-30 mins.

Our biggest problems will be Richarlison and Deeney. I don't see anyone who has played full back for us this season dealing with Richarlison's pace and trickery. Deeney knows our CBs are shot confidence wise and will look to bully them. Williams will end up losing his head, Holgate and Keane I just don't think will be up for it. I can think of ways we might, just might be able to improve going forward but defence terrifies me. 

6 minutes ago, nogs said:

Our biggest problems will be Richarlison and Deeney. I don't see anyone who has played full back for us this season dealing with Richarlison's pace and trickery. Deeney knows our CBs are shot confidence wise and will look to bully them. Williams will end up losing his head, Holgate and Keane I just don't think will be up for it. I can think of ways we might, just might be able to improve going forward but defence terrifies me. 

Is Keane meant to be back for this?

We need to go at them hard. It's Unsworth's first and perhaps only home game - what is there to lose at this stage? I have no confidence in our defence so don't see the point in being cautious, let's go hell for leather and give Goodison something to shout about. 

Play Sigurdsson in a deeper playmaker role, use his passing range to knock balls in behind the defence. 

Vlasic and Lookman on the wings, instructions to get chalk on their boots and look to get in behind the full backs. 

Niasse up top. If the aim is to get balls into the box from out wide, we just want someone there to stick the ball in the net. Not Rooney because he drops deep too much, and for all his attributes DCL has been missing too many chances. 

McCarthy or Besic in the enforcer role, Davies or Beni making the runs from deep to support Niasse. 

1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I can't see where we will get a goal from. All we can hope for is to keep it tight at the back and not concede again. Do that and we'll get a 0-0 for sure.

We haven't been a threat from anywhere, not even from corners where we look more susceptible to conceding form the counter attack that follows.

Hopefully their goalie will make a blunder for us.

It's really not that bad! DC-L is full of effort, and it's only a matter of time until he starts scoring. Lookman is lively, and so is Vlasic, and both are capable of scoring. Mirallas, on his day, can score goals. Niasse is our super-sub and has a knack of scoring. Rooney is our top scorer.

It's easy to fall into the depths of despair, but I really don't believe it's justified. We're barely a quarter of the way through the season, and Unsworth has yet to manage a home game.

13 hours ago, nogs said:

We need to go at them hard. It's Unsworth's first and perhaps only home game - what is there to lose at this stage? I have no confidence in our defence so don't see the point in being cautious, let's go hell for leather and give Goodison something to shout about.

Agree 100% with this.  This is likely to be Unsworth’s last match in charge no matter the result, but if the players do truly want him to stay, then they have to play with relentless, attacking energy from the opening whistle.  It’s their best chance to win, and his only (if long-odds) chance to be given more matches.  Waking up in the second half to nick a point would just be more of the same.  Playing tentatively in the first 30 minutes is likely to produce (a) a sullen crowd, (b) a Watford lead, and thus (c) an angry, booing crowd.  Disaster.

As for formation and selection, none of the 2-DM pairing.  Either 4-4-2 or what is essentially the same, 4-1-3-2.  Thus, 2 forwards.  For me, Niasse and Mirallas, with DCL subbing in second half if necessary.  And 2 wingers, Lookman and Vlasic.  Rooney the 10, Sigurdsson in the DM role, but getting forward frequently.  Yes, we might well be vulnerable to the counter.  But we need attackers and goals.  So ......

Pickford

Kenny Keane Jagielka Baines

Sigurdsson

Vlasic Rooney Lookman

Mirallas Niasse

Subs in second half — for attack, DCL, Davies, Lennon; to protect lead, 2-3 of Davies, Besic, Holgate, Gana.

12 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

It's really not that bad! DC-L is full of effort, and it's only a matter of time until he starts scoring. Lookman is lively, and so is Vlasic, and both are capable of scoring. Mirallas, on his day, can score goals. Niasse is our super-sub and has a knack of scoring. Rooney is our top scorer.

It's easy to fall into the depths of despair, but I really don't believe it's justified. We're barely a quarter of the way through the season, and Unsworth has yet to manage a home game.

We’ve not scored all season- Niasse has come off the bench and scored 2, hardly a “knack” of scoring is it- only 2 players have scored for us in the league this season and DCL is yet to scorevin the league in 10 attempts. Our attack is utter shite so yes, it really is that bad.

13 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Agree 100% with this.  This is likely to be Unsworth’s last match in charge no matter the result, but if the players do truly want him to stay, then they have to play with relentless, attacking energy from the opening whistle.  It’s their best chance to win, and his only (if long-odds) chance to be given more matches.  Waking up in the second half to nick a point would just be more of the same.  Playing tentatively in the first 30 minutes is likely to produce (a) a sullen crowd, (b) a Watford lead, and thus (c) an angry, booing crowd.  Disaster.

As for formation and selection, none of the 2-DM pairing.  Either 4-4-2 or what is essentially the same, 4-1-3-2.  Thus, 2 forwards.  For me, Niasse and Mirallas, with DCL subbing in second half if necessary.  And 2 wingers, Lookman and Vlasic.  Rooney the 10, Sigurdsson in the DM role, but getting forward frequently.  Yes, we might well be vulnerable to the counter.  But we need attackers and goals.  So ......

Pickford

Sigurdsson

Vlasic Rooney Lookman

Mirallas Niasse

Subs in second half — for attack, DCL, Davies, Lennon; to protect lead, 2-3 of Davies, Besic, Holgate, Gana.

Siguardson holding midfield? Or do you mean Schneiderlin?

56 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Pickford

Sigurdsson

Vlasic Rooney Lookman

Mirallas Niasse

Sorry but having Mirallas and Niasse up front is the weakest and most pathetic attack I can think of.

I agree with the back 5 and Morgan sweeping in front of the back 4. I would have Davies for Rooney, DCL for Mirallas.

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

Siguardson holding midfield? Or do you mean Schneiderlin?

No, I mean Sigurdsson.  Getting forward frequently.  We need goals.  Yes, I recognize the danger of counterattack.

My post emphasized attack, energy.  I’d like to play Gana for the energy, but he’s erratic, undependable, nearly useless going forward, neither a playmaker nor shotmaker.  Perhaps Besic is the logical choice for DM, but not Schneiderlin, not right now.

6 minutes ago, Paddock said:

But the formation you have has Siguardson in front of the back 4?

Yes, exactly that.

This isn’t a prediction of what Unsworth will do (and I fully acknowledge that most on TT will think, “Thank God).  It is my preference.

The point of my post was that we need relentless energy and attacking players.  We need goals.  Goodison could become foul-spirited very quickly unless we score first.

Right now I have no faith in Williams, Schneiderlin, or Gana, so I will be disappointed if any of those 3 start.  I’d be satisfied to see Besic as the sole DM.  I’ll be dismayed if Unsworth starts any 2-DM pair, with the possible (not preferable to me) exception of Besic and Davies.

We need relentless pressing and attacking.  We desperately need to score first.

5 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Yes, exactly that.

This isn’t a prediction of what Unsworth will do (and I fully acknowledge that most on TT will think, “Thank God).  It is my preference.

The point of my post was that we need relentless energy and attacking players.  We need goals.  Goodison could become foul-spirited very quickly unless we score first.

Right now I have no faith in Williams, Schneiderlin, or Gana, so I will be disappointed if any of those 3 start.  I’d be satisfied to see Besic as the sole DM.  I’ll be dismayed if Unsworth starts any 2-DM pair, with the possible (not preferable to me) exception of Besic and Davies.

We need relentless pressing and attacking.  We desperately need to score first.

If you’re looking for someone to protect the back 4 Elston- Siguardson is probably the past person I’d turn to but each to their own mate.

Just now, Paddock said:

If you’re looking for someone to protect the back 4 Elston- Siguardson is probably the past person I’d turn to but each to their own mate.

We’re talking past each other.

I am not - repeat not - looking for someone to protect the back 4.  I am recommending putting on as many attackers as possible.  Sigurdsson is more likely than anyone to control midfield as a passer, short and long - but not, I repeat and acknowledge your perfectly sensible point, as a protector.  As Sigurdsson playing that deep, and looking to get forward, may just be far too dangerous, I have above posted that Besic or Davies would admittedly be safer choices.