IGNORED

Watford (Home) Sunday November 5th

markjazzbassist

8 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Just win, I don't care how, or what formation, just get 3 points.

Agreed.  Generally the conversation and debate on matchday threads concerns formation, strategy, starters, positioning.   Clearly all Everton fans are desperate to win today.

My view is that our best chance - today, against this specific team, in the specific, troubling circumstances we find ourselves in - is to attack, press, be aggressive, relentless.  Partly it’s best because a slow, cautious start will likely sour the crowd.  Sour crowd likely to deflate already low energy.  Vicious circle, etc.

But energetic pressing and attacking from beginning will be reflected in energetic crowd, which in turn will continue to energize players.

We also regularly debate - to put it mildly - the merits of this player or that.  I want Niasse to start.  Others plausibly contend he’s best used as sub.  I think Sigurdsson and Rooney should start.  Some others think Sigurdsson purchase a massive mistake, and that Rooney’s past it, way past.  I want at least 2 attacking wingers to start.  On this point there may be a consensus right now.

1 minute ago, Newty82 said:

Not sure we'll line up as it shows but no doubt the width will come from Kenny and Baines.

That seems right.  I’m happy to see Kenny and Baines attacking, and hope Baines has enough to get back on the Watford counter.  Hope that both DMs stay back, especially when either fullback provides width coming forward.  Gana has been useless going forward anyway, and worse than useless when caught behind the opponent’s counterattack.

No width at all and not many options to change it significantly from the bench. It just looks to me that already unsworth is out of ideas and clasping at straws. He’s made radical changes to every line up he’s put out. I think we need a bit of consistency and stability in the line up. 

6 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

That seems right.  I’m happy to see Kenny and Baines attacking, and hope Baines has enough to get back on the Watford counter.  Hope that both DMs stay back, especially when either fullback provides width coming forward.  Gana has been useless going forward anyway, and worse than useless when caught behind the opponent’s counterattack.

From what I understand (limited!), the idea of using the full backs and DM's is that as the Full Backs go forward, the CB's split and one of the DM's sits in as cover.

We've not been doing that this season. But it could be seen previously and in other teams.

1 minute ago, Newty82 said:

From what I understand (limited!), the idea of using the full backs and DM's is that as the Full Backs go forward, the CB's split and one of the DM's sits in as cover.

Yes.  Although I very much favor Baines and Kenny getting forward a lot to provide width and crosses, they must also be prepared to run all match to defend the counter, too.

As to one of the DMs sitting in, I hope both Gana and Baningime mostly stay back, so that either Sigurdsson or Davies drops into midfield as the passing CM.  I just don’t see much value, and some danger, in Gana going forward.  Baningime, not sure about his chops going forward.  Unsworth sure likes him.