IGNORED

Be careful what you wish for

johnh

Can't remember if I have already posted this, apologies if I have.

I was reading an article in the newspaper this morning and 'be careful what you wish for' cropped up.  It reminded me of a situation which proves just how true this is.

In 1956 I was serving in Singapore. I had been there for 18 months and was starting to get an itch for Blighty.  The Vulcan bomber, 'state of the art' at the time, had been paying a visit to Australia and New Zealand.  It flew over Singapore on its return to the UK.  It flew very low and made two passes over our camp. I remember looking up and thinking 'I would give everything I've got to be going back to the UK on that'.  A few days later, the news came through that it had crashed on landing at Heathrow.  The pilot and co-pilot had managed to eject but four passengers were killed.  Six months later I got home safely by troopship.

:o 

My grandad told me a story of trying to join his mate on another ship, only to have his transfer request rejected. He worked in the merchant navy down in the boiler rooms, shoveling coal into the furnace. His mate's ship, a few days later, got a bomb dropped down the funnel and took out the ship from the inside out. Don't know who kept him on the Queen Mary, but thanks to that person I'm here today.

Weird side story, we eventually moved next door to the wife of the captain of the Queen Mary 40 years later. Lovely lady, shame we never got to meet her husband.