IGNORED

Atalanta (Europa Group Home) Thursday November 23rd

markjazzbassist

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Klaasen, Sandro, Rooney, Holgate, Robles and Vlasic should all be playing.

Agree.  Also Mirallas, Besic, Martina.

We’re out of this competition, so need to give players who haven’t played much some time, and save regulars for Southampton.  Although I hope Rooney starts at Southampton, still like to see him for first 45 minutes on Thursday.

Robles

Martina Holgate Williams Besic

Schneiderlin [who should not play at Southampton]

Vlasic Klaassen Mirallas

Rooney Sandro

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Might as well give a bigger allocation to the away fans. The club should have organised this one better. 

I'm not sure if we were allowed to give them more; but I agree that we should've done if we were able. That and drop the prices.

Edit: Checking the regulations it just says, "Home clubs must make at least 5% of the total approved UEFA capacity of their
stadium available exclusively to visiting supporters, in a segregated, safe area."

I suppose the issue would be if we gave them more it might not count as a segregated, safe area.

10 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'm not sure if we were allowed to give them more; but I agree that we should've done if we were able. That and drop the prices.

Edit: Checking the regulations it just says, "Home clubs must make at least 5% of the total approved UEFA capacity of their
stadium available exclusively to visiting supporters, in a segregated, safe area."

I suppose the issue would be if we gave them more it might not count as a segregated, safe area.

With so few expected we could have have them the whole Park End.

Tbf they could give the tickets away and still struggle for a crowd next week. 

3 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Meh

I can’t blame anyone for thinking this match is utterly meaningless.  And its resulting scoreline will of course have no impact on our disastrous EL failure.

Yet the match may not be meaningless in literally all ways.  I hope Unsworth will play squad members who have recently either been left on the bench or off the teamsheet entirely.  I’d like to see Klaassen, Sandro, Mirallas, Vlasic, Besic, Holgate - especially those 6 - get 90 minutes.  We may need several of those players, in the event of short or longterm injury to other players.  And it’s not impossible that someone who plays 75-90 minutes Thursday will play well, get his chance, and play intermittently hereafter, perhaps in an FA Cup match.

I’m leery of McCarthy’s playing.  Our first-choice DMs have been dismal, so a number of us hope (hallucinate?) that McCarthy may play a major role in our midseason revival.  Hold off playing him until he’s injury-free.  (Speaking of hallucinating....)  Unfortunately Baningime is ineligible for EL matches.  Frankly, I’d play either Gana or Schneiderlin, leaving them out at Southampton.  Plug Besic in at LB.  I hope Rooney gets a start and 45 (not 75) minutes.  Others may have given up on his playing any part going forward, but absent miracle purchases in January, he may still play significant minutes this season.

In a few cases/positions, I hope Unsworth starts someone who Is unlikely to help us much this season.  Martina is the obvious example.  In the case of RB, Kenny is currently, easily, first-choice, but needs a rest.  We aren’t desperate for a win, and Southampton on Sunday is the priority, so surely Unsworth should rest Baines, DCL, Sigurdsson, Lennon, others.  

I wouldn’t have imagined back when the EL groups were announced that Atalanta at Goodison would present a significant challenge.  But we were embarrassed in the away match, so merely as a matter of badly wounded pride, Everton as a proud football club will want very much to celebrate a win.

Hello everybody,

with the friendly request for your help:

I will be in Liverpool for a few days from next Thursday. With a few friends I do a so-called weekend trip. As part of the trip I would like to watch the Europa League match between Everton FC and Atalanta Bergamo live in the stadium.

Unfortunately we can not buy tickets in advance. Also on the evening of the game, there will apparently be no free presale. For this reason, my question, please: Could someone please help me to get tickets for this game, please?

Since we really would like to watch the match live in the stadium, I would be very happy to receive your feedback.

A thousand thanks in advance and best regards

Matthias

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Play the best 11 to get some consistency. Maybe not having the pressure (knowing we're already out) will allow them to play better and get some confidence going

Matt (and Bill earlier) call for Unsworth to play our best 11/best team.  Whereas I posted earlier that Unsworth should prioritize Southampton, which comes quickly, Sunday afternoon.  A clear difference of opinion about Thursday night’s match.

I’m not at all sure which 11 players constitute our best team.  I assume most on TT would include Pickford, Baines, right now Kenny, and probably Niasse and DCL in our best team.  After that, there’s no consensus at all on TT.  Some think Schneiderlin and Gana are both playing poorly; others say one or the other is (only) marginally better.  We’re all waiting for McCarthy to get healthy, giving rise to nervous jokes.  Which 2 of our 3 regular CHs are the best 2?  I suspect more than a few Everton fans would want Holgate as a first team (desperate) hope.   Many are wondering where Vlasic is, and Sandro, too.  I say play ‘em.  Rooney?  Big arguments about him.  So, first team.  It isn’t clear to me.

I want Unsworth to play Holgate, Mirallas, Vlasic, Klaassen, Sandro, Besic.  Robles, too, for Thursday.  Rooney for 45 minutes.  Niasse is ineligible for EL.  Baines shouldn’t be expected to play 3 matches in 8 days.  Kenny - I guess he could more easily do that, but I’d prefer he’s rested and saved for a full 90 minutes on Sunday.  I prefer to let Klaassen - who, understandably, is no one’s first choice - play, and Besic, too - who some may be desperate enough to say, well, he’s no worse than one of Gana/Schneiderlin.  McCarthy?  Surely he can’t be said to be clearly ready quite yet.  Why risk him in a meaningless match?  If he’s ready Sunday, good.

So, it seems to me there’s more probable value in resting some key players for Sunday than in hoping we actually have a clear first team.  What we have is a collection of wildly inconsistent players.  The 8 players I’ve listed are about as likely to play well as are others we might slot into their positions.  And as to confidence, we could use a couple of these players having a good match, so they might play a role in our EPL struggle.

18 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

niasse suspension for the league i would play him here to keep him fit.

robles

cuco holgate williams feeney

klaassen beni

vlasic rooney mirallas

niasse

He wasn't registered for Europa

22 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Matt (and Bill earlier) call for Unsworth to play our best 11/best team.  Whereas I posted earlier that Unsworth should prioritize Southampton, which comes quickly, Sunday afternoon.  A clear difference of opinion about Thursday night’s match.

I’m not at all sure which 11 players constitute our best team.  I assume most on TT would include Pickford, Baines, right now Kenny, and probably Niasse and DCL in our best team.  After that, there’s no consensus at all on TT.  Some think Schneiderlin and Gana are both playing poorly; others say one or the other is (only) marginally better.  We’re all waiting for McCarthy to get healthy, giving rise to nervous jokes.  Which 2 of our 3 regular CHs are the best 2?  I suspect more than a few Everton fans would want Holgate as a first team (desperate) hope.   Many are wondering where Vlasic is, and Sandro, too.  I say play ‘em.  Rooney?  Big arguments about him.  So, first team.  It isn’t clear to me.

I want Unsworth to play Holgate, Mirallas, Vlasic, Klaassen, Sandro, Besic.  Robles, too, for Thursday.  Rooney for 45 minutes.  Niasse is ineligible for EL.  Baines shouldn’t be expected to play 3 matches in 8 days.  Kenny - I guess he could more easily do that, but I’d prefer he’s rested and saved for a full 90 minutes on Sunday.  I prefer to let Klaassen - who, understandably, is no one’s first choice - play, and Besic, too - who some may be desperate enough to say, well, he’s no worse than one of Gana/Schneiderlin.  McCarthy?  Surely he can’t be said to be clearly ready quite yet.  Why risk him in a meaningless match?  If he’s ready Sunday, good.

So, it seems to me there’s more probable value in resting some key players for Sunday than in hoping we actually have a clear first team.  What we have is a collection of wildly inconsistent players.  The 8 players I’ve listed are about as likely to play well as are others we might slot into their positions.  And as to confidence, we could use a couple of these players having a good match, so they might play a role in our EPL struggle.

I understand the the idea to rotate and save players for the weekend, but I think this kind of chop 'n' change is part of the reason we're in this mess. We need consistency to get confidence, and confidence will bring wins, so I'd be treating this as an important game (least of all for all the fans who are going to the game) and go at it 100%

1 minute ago, Matt said:

He wasn't registered for Europa

I understand the the idea to rotate and save players for the weekend, but I think this kind of chop 'n' change is part of the reason we're in this mess. We need consistency to get confidence, and confidence will bring wins, so I'd be treating this as an important game (least of all for all the fans who are going to the game) and go at it 100%

Your counterargument is reasonable.  Even taking your view, however, it would surprise me if there’s any agreement on TT as to which 11 players should start Thursday evening as our best team.  For example, to avoid chop ‘n’ change, should Gana and Schneiderlin start?  Lennon over both Vlasic and Mirallas?  Someone has to replace Niasse.  One or 2 strikers?

Ah, speaking of Niasse, looks as if he may get a 2-game suspension for diving, so Sandro, possibly Rooney, might be playing  up front in next 2 EPL matches.

1 minute ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Your counterargument is reasonable.  Even taking your view, however, it would surprise me if there’s any agreement on TT as to which 11 players should start Thursday evening as our best team.  For example, to avoid chop ‘n’ change, should Gana and Schneiderlin start?  Lennon over both Vlasic and Mirallas?  Someone has to replace Niasse.  One or 2 strikers?

Ah, speaking of Niasse, looks as if he may get a 2-game suspension for diving, so Sandro, possibly Rooney, might be playing  up front in next 2 EPL matches.

Honestly don't know. I usually post a line-up but I can't make up my own mind :lol: I wouldn't change the back 5 for sure, and I'd stick DCL upfront in place of Niasse, but the midfield... No idea what I'd do.

This is the first big dilemma for Unsworth I think, as we all seem to agree that he needs to maintain the building confidence, but not risk injury or burning out the older one like Jags and Baines in particular due to his requirement to get up and down the line.

maybe go with a few changes that give a chance to see different pairings, say  Klaassen  in front of one of the DCM's, and pair DCL with Sandro up front.

I would love Unsworth to be a success here, I hope the crowd get behind him and the team tomorrow. COYB

We shouldn't be playing any of our first team squad in this - or more specifically, anyone with a chance of making the squad v Southampton. Everyone knows the Thursday night hangover effect, we've suffered it as bad as anyone. It would be madness to ask anyone to play these two games, even from the bench. The league is all that matters now. 

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

So are you hoping for a weak team ?, Thats going to give everybody a massive boost  if we get thrashed 0-5 isn't it.:huh:

What does it matter? What would you rather do, go flat out and turn up at Southampton knackered so we get turned over?? 

We played kids against Borisov and Krasnodar when we'd qualified, I don't see why it's different now we're out? 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

What does it matter? What would you rather do, go flat out and turn up at Southampton knackered so we get turned over?? 

We played kids against Borisov and Krasnodar when we'd qualified, I don't see why it's different now we're out? 

Purely for confidence reasons. That's the only reason. And it's a string reason.

Plus Unsworth doesn't want to take another twatting as his audition continues!!!

23 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Put it this way; I still went to the dead rubber against BATE Borisov when I knew we’d just be putting out the kids but I’m not going tomorrow. 

Difference being that was a dead game because we were already qualified, this is dead because we're out.