IGNORED

Happy Thanksgiving

markjazzbassist

I've never got pumpkin pie; just sounds awful.

Bit like Christmas pudding or haggis, something tradition forces you to eat even though you know it's nasty (having said that I actually quite like haggis but I'm in a minority, I love offal).

Turkey is also overrated, I'd rather a good bit of chicken every day:67:.

But enjoy your day and your second rate meals my colonial friends:P.

The people you're with is the important bit.

28 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Bit like Christmas pudding or haggis, something tradition forces you to eat even though you know it's nasty (having said that I actually quite like haggis but I'm in a minority, I love offal).

bloody philistine :lol:

you foreign sorts enjoy your day and save a turkey for Christmas.

11 hours ago, MikeO said:

I don't think I've ever tasted pumpkin to even know whether I like it or not.

Haven't had turkey in years, we always have beef, chicken and ham as part of our Christmas dinner.

• 11 months later...
11 hours ago, rubecula said:

I never knew when the thanksgiving holiday was to be honest  the only American holiday I know is july 4th  and that is only because it is a family birthday 

so I am sorry to our American friends I just don't know the dates of many foreign breaks.

If it makes you feel any better, I originally put the third Thursday before editing after realizing it was the fourth. 

the real question is do you know when canadian thanksgiving is?  cause they have one too on a different day.  

happy thanksgiving!  i hope everyone enjoys some delicious turkey and accompanying sides and the full bar their uncle will be indulging in :) (we all know it's only there because of him lol).  also enjoy the football (american) games today, Saints will be enjoyable, sadly we are subject to the racist Cowboys/Indians match every thanksgiving (thanks NFL you culturally insensitive bastards).  i hope washington steamrolls the putrid cowboys.  have all of texas weeping on this holiday.

14 hours ago, rubecula said:

I never knew when the thanksgiving holiday was to be honest  the only American holiday I know is july 4th  and that is only because it is a family birthday 

so I am sorry to our American friends I just don't know the dates of many foreign breaks.

Honestly neither did I. 

42 minutes ago, aaron said:

All the best to the Americans on here.

Question, is Thanksgiving bigger than Christmas over there? (please don't call it "the holidays" I beg of you!)

Unless you are Jewish, Muslim, or another religion no, Christmas is the biggest Over here.  Thanksgiving would be second, New Years third, July 4th would be 4th.

other random holidays (sorry not sorry) Memorial Day (rememberance day you guys call I I believe) and Labor Day (thank you unions!!!).  Other than that the rest most people don’t get off of work (Martin Luther king day, Veterans Day, Columbus Day, etc) so I don’t really count them.

18 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Unless you are Jewish, Muslim, or another religion no, Christmas is the biggest Over here.  Thanksgiving would be second, New Years third, July 4th would be 4th.

other random holidays (sorry not sorry) Memorial Day (rememberance day you guys call I I believe) and Labor Day (thank you unions!!!).  Other than that the rest most people don’t get off of work (Martin Luther king day, Veterans Day, Columbus Day, etc) so I don’t really count them.

Cheers buddy, the US and their ways fascinates me, hope you've enjoyed your turkey etc.

Also you're a bastard for that holiday shout :lol:

18 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

We’re going to be getting a new day off to add to our calendar, it’s going to be called Brexit day and it will fall on a Friday so we can all drowned our sorrows and get bladdered with out worrying about work the next day. 

justa final thought about holidays and breaks etc  I know the saint's day apart from one  St  David (wales) is 1st of March  St Patrick (Ireland) is 17th March, St George (England) 23rd April,  And St Andrew (Scotland) I have no idea on.  so American holiday times and dates I hope I can be excused for not knowing

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Why does anyone ever eat Turkey?

Poor man's chicken when bought as a portion but lunatic cost when you buy a whole bird, why? Organic chicken for me every time, much cheaper and infinitely more tasty.

mike - turkeys are native to only north america (mostly US and Mexico), they are everywhere here, hell a flock climbs down from the trees (they sleep in trees) every morning and waltzes through my parents yard every day.  at my old apartment here up north there was a flock that would block the road daily, wild and they do not take kindly to others (they won't back down from a moving car the ballsy birds, they are very big too) .most people usually eat corn as well since that was eaten at the first ever thanksgiving (turkey was not, deer and shellfish were the meats) and is also native to the americas and was a native american food staple.

9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

mike - turkeys are native to only north america (mostly US and Mexico), they are everywhere here, hell a flock climbs down from the trees (they sleep in trees) every morning and waltzes through my parents yard every day.  at my old apartment here up north there was a flock that would block the road daily, wild and they do not take kindly to others (they won't back down from a moving car the ballsy birds, they are very big too) .most people usually eat corn as well since that was eaten at the first ever thanksgiving (turkey was not, deer and shellfish were the meats) and is also native to the americas and was a native american food staple.

Interesting that, thanks Mark. Let me rephrase...

Why does anyone in the UK ever eat Turkey?