IGNORED

Goodbye To The Gravy Guzzler

He’s done what I expected to be honest in terms of playing style and getting back to basics - it’s payed off more than I could have expected though to be honest. 

I think it’s fair to say the ships been settled a bit more now - we’ve got some points behind and at a point where I’d like to see us ( gradually ) become more expansive. West Brom and Bournemouth are good away games where we could and should go away, dominate the game and start to stamp some authority as a good footballing team.

United at home may come a tad too soon, but if we go away and play good attacking football then I’d hope Big Sam takes them on. Not all out attack of course but encourages our players who’s confidence should be back by then that they can take these teams on.

8 hours ago, Bill said:

Was never a follower of Allardyce and dreaded it when we took him on, I know the football isn'ttt nice to watch but at this moment in time he is getting results, and that's what we need more than anything else.  Couldn't believe it when he changed the two centre backs, and don't know why he did it but it worked so I can't argue about that.

I think he is here just to get things back into shape, and I can see a top manager coming in 18 months .

But if, by some chance we've won a trophy and finished top 6 do you replace him then?

37 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

But if, by some chance we've won a trophy and finished top 6 do you replace him then?

I find an 18 month contract very strange, it's either we are already lining somebody up, or it's not disaster if we have to pay him off earlier.  Either way If we are hoping to move to the top I can't see Sam in the saddle, it has to be a higher profile manager.

43 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

So take no risks. Well goody. 

No risk, no reward. We’re to endure a prolonged “play it safe regardless of consequence” approach? Short term I can stomach it, but if that’s his mentality and long term approach, I’m worried. 

Cutlery arrived for my humble pie, by the way. Really hoping I get to use it, but with those quotes I might be sending them back

edit: the rest of the fucking Echos page loaded. I hate that site. But, I should recant that criticism, sounds much more pragmatic reading the whole thing. 

8 hours ago, Matt said:

No risk, no reward. We’re to endure a prolonged “play it safe regardless of consequence” approach? Short term I can stomach it, but if that’s his mentality and long term approach, I’m worried. 

Cutlery arrived for my humble pie, by the way. Really hoping I get to use it, but with those quotes I might be sending them back

edit: the rest of the fucking Echos page loaded. I hate that site. But, I should recant that criticism, sounds much more pragmatic reading the whole thing. 

Yeah. Take it in context...he's on about when confidence is low take no risks.

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Honestly, I see no reason at all for eating humble pie. He's doing what he always does: scrapes across the 40-point line by putting everything into defence and hoofing the ball up in the hope of scoring occasionally. The result is as dull as ditch water. I've predicted 9th place, but that's only because half of the teams in the league are quite poor right now.

Everton deserve much much better than the current manager.

People need to realise how shite Everton are, it was only a few weeks ago that we were shipping goals for fun and getting spanked by the likes of Southampton
IMHO Allardyce is doing a remarkable job, yes it’s painful to watch but I would take a drab 0-0 at West Brom over a 4-1 defeat at Southampton any day of the week

3 hours ago, London Blue said:

This type of football is why he got sacked from West Ham.

This type of football has helped us steady a sinking ship. The 18 month contract reflects that Allardyce isn’t the long term answer but someone who we can trust to get us organised. Maybe, when he addresses a few of the glaring short-falls in the squad, we will see better football - he may even do enough to convince a few.

Compare what we have now to what we had before the West Ham game and I know what I’d rather have.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

This type of football has helped us steady a sinking ship. The 18 month contract reflects that Allardyce isn’t the long term answer but someone who we can trust to get us organised. Maybe, when he addresses a few of the glaring short-falls in the squad, we will see better football - he may even do enough to convince a few.

Compare what we have now to what we had before the West Ham game and I know what I’d rather have.

Indeed, I am comparing with the West Hame game, when Unsworth was in charge. Do you believe the latter would have played ultra-defensive nonsense against West Brom?

Just now, Cornish Steve said:

Indeed, I am comparing with the West Hame game, when Unsworth was in charge. Do you believe the latter would have played ultra-defensive nonsense against West Brom?

Probably not but he may have employed the tactics he did against a very poor Southampton.

I personally think Sam had some input into the West Ham game... regardless, West Ham at home is a very different game to West Brom away - I think Rooney would have flourished today but that’s speculative so we’ll never know.

30 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Probably not but he may have employed the tactics he did against a very poor Southampton.

I personally think Sam had some input into the West Ham game... regardless, West Ham at home is a very different game to West Brom away - I think Rooney would have flourished today but that’s speculative so we’ll never know.

In their 19 league games before today, West Brom scored more than once only three times. They haven't won since August. I shall never understand why we didn't go out there today to win, to score goals. If we can't against West Brom, then who are we willing to try to win against? You know it's going to be the same, if not more so, against Bournemouth - another team in the bottom three.

Teams with ambition, or even a faint hope of reaching Europe, don't play ultra-defensively against teams in the relegation zone.

9 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

In their 19 league games before today, West Brom scored more than once only three times. They haven't won since August. I shall never understand why we didn't go out there today to win, to score goals. If we can't against West Brom, then who are we willing to try to win against? You know it's going to be the same, if not more so, against Bournemouth - another team in the bottom three.

Allardyce is still getting to know this squad (same can be said for Pardew at WBA) - it’s not great. I would have expected a more positive display against a confidence drained WBA but it was as much down to us being completely void of any attacking ideas rather than a ‘park the bus’ type performance. We can’t attack down the left as Cuco will always try to cut back on his right, DCL didn’t get a look in vs an organised and experienced defensive unit and Bolasie/Gylfi just simply didn’t get an inch all game. We need 3 players in Jan (at least) left back, striker and box to box midfielder.

I think he needs some time to turn things around fully. I don't like how we played today, especially with some confidence behind us (unlike the Soton game), but it' early days and Allardyce is making sure we keep it tight and remember what it's like to take pride in a clean sheet. 

Hopefully more attacking and fluid performances will come later in the season and if they don't, I doubt he will be here for that much longer than the summer.

3 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Allardyce is still getting to know this squad (same can be said for Pardew at WBA) - it’s not great. I would have expected a more positive display against a confidence drained WBA but it was as much down to us being completely void of any attacking ideas rather than a ‘park the bus’ type performance. We can’t attack down the left as Cuco will always try to cut back on his right, DCL didn’t get a look in vs an organised and experienced defensive unit and Bolasie/Gylfi just simply didn’t get an inch all game. We need 3 players in Jan (at least) left back, striker and box to box midfielder.

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You suggested earlier that Allardyce influenced the 4-0 win against West Ham. Personally, I think he suggested that in an interview to boost his own ego, because the evidence today is that he doesn't have the guts to try to win. He's all about not losing.

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You suggested earlier that Allardyce influenced the 4-0 win against West Ham. Personally, I think he suggested that in an interview to boost his own ego, because the evidence today is that he doesn't have the guts to try to win. He's all about not losing.

Of course you can - he had different options available to him that game. As I said, I think Rooney would have enjoyed today and we missed Gana in midfield.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

unsy written off after 2 matches and sam needs time and a window to sort it?  some real comedians on here

Unsworth’s Everton sat in the bottom 3 with heavy losses. Allardyce’s Everton are now in the top half after going on an unbeaten run.

I like Unsworth and hope he has a future at the club but the opportunity came along at the wrong time.

unsy written off after 2 matches and sam needs time and a window to sort it?  some real comedians on here

We were going in the wrong direction under Unsworth , we were sinking fast and we were not just losing we were getting twatted every game.
The back four were all over the place and confidence was at rock bottom. Allardyce has come in and done exactly what was asked of him and exactly what we needed. We are unbeaten in 8 and have kept 6 clean sheets

Williams and Keane look like different players because Allardyce has taken them back to basics and is rebuilding their confidence

He is still having to utilise the same players Koeman and Unsworth failed to get anything out of so give him a break

His Bolton side played some great football so I’m sure given time and the chance to bring in some of his own players the football will come

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yep and you’re one of them. He has bought himself time by getting us to 9th in the table, 6 clean sheets in 8 and a decent unbeaten run. If Unsworth had of achieved that he would have deserved time but he never- we got beat 5-1 at home to a mid table Italian team and 4-1 away to an utterly shit Southampton team.

Unsworth had to deal with a very uncertain situation. The difference between the Soton game and the West Ham game is that there was some certainly. Sam had nothing to do with any tactical difference, he hadn't trained them and I don' think  he was officially confirmed at the time. 

Unsy deserved certainty more than he deserved time. If he had that we wouldnt have wasted so many bloody points while the owners fucked around.