IGNORED

Goodbye To The Gravy Guzzler

4 hours ago, Matt said:

We’re out of the shit aren’t we?

just don’t like it. It’s a petty show of “power” in my books and I’ve been on the end of stunts like this at work. 

4 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

IMHO no we are not

Right, simple math and a decent memory would indicate it's right to just focus on rebuilding. We looked as bad as I've seen us in years only 5 fixtures ago. Given some people's comments you would think we're in CL places. One loss and we're in the bottom half, two and we're battling with the others in the basement of the league.

This is an interesting, almost futile debate because it essentially highlights how people prefer to function in working/academic settings. Everyone's different, but I personally wouldn't want to have a party of any kind until the new year. When things are a bit more definite. Winning and being higher up the table will be reward enough. As has been said, they play football, they're already having fun...

I find it rather amusing how extreme opinions have become. Not a month ago, "Oh woe is me. We're certain to be relegated. Bring in Sam. It's the only way we'll escape relegation." Now it's, "We've improved so much! Now we can push on for seventh or higher. Sam has saved us."

We were never in any danger of being relegated! We played tough teams early. Other than a fluke draw against Liverpool, we've played a string of easier teams. The manager has had squat to do with it. Unsworth brought in a sense of belief, and his replacement is getting credit where it's not due. Next we play Swansea, which may push us a little further up the table. Halfway through the season, we'll be on 25 or more points, and that's not a number to get anyone relegated.

Koeman, if he'd remained, would have killed team morale even more than he had already, and he had to go. But I don't get all this "Sam the saviour" nonsense. He arrived at the right time to look good, but he's already having us play a dreadful style of football. We're mid-table this season, somewhere between 8th and 10th, so there's no reason to fear relegation or expect Europe. We're bang average with completely the wrong manager to progress.

5 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I find it rather amusing how extreme opinions have become. Not a month ago, "Oh woe is me. We're certain to be relegated. Bring in Sam. It's the only way we'll escape relegation." Now it's, "We've improved so much! Now we can push on for seventh or higher. Sam has saved us."

We were never in any danger of being relegated! We played tough teams early. Other than a fluke draw against Liverpool, we've played a string of easier teams. The manager has had squat to do with it. Unsworth brought in a sense of belief, and his replacement is getting credit where it's not due. Next we play Swansea, which may push us a little further up the table. Halfway through the season, we'll be on 25 or more points, and that's not a number to get anyone relegated.

Koeman, if he'd remained, would have killed team morale even more than it had already, and he had to go. But I don't get all this "Sam the saviour" nonsense. He arrived at the right time to look good, but he's already having us play a dreadful style of football. We're mid-table this season, somewhere between 8th and 10th, so there's no reason to fear relegation or expect Europe. We're bang average with completely the wrong manager to progress.

That would be 9th

Footballers are just people like us. Talk to a few and it will surprise you how human they are.

Personally I would be gutted if my Christmas party was cancelled due to my performance. 

We all like to pretend that if it was us, we would toughen up and roll our sleeves up... where in reality there is a lot of different people around. Some will roll their sleeves up, some will sulk, some will take it personally and get upset about it and some will be angry about it.

Aaron lennon should be a lesson to all of us that footballers are human just like us.

I just see no positive to stopping what can be a morale boosting and much needed get together.

Now this is just an opinion on the cancelling of a Christmas party. If Sam is just postponing it till a later date, then as long as that date is relevant, then I’m fine with that..... but really, what’s the harm? 

where I work we don't have a Christmas party, our department went out for some scran and a few drinks which we had to pay for our selves. Our Christmas bonuses have been cancelled because we have a new MD. FEEL SORRY FOR ME DAMNIT!

on to Everton... I feel Sam has got this right, we've done what is expected in the recent results, lets not beat around the bush, West Ham, Huddersfield and Newcastle are teams we should be beating. With 5 games in 2 weeks it isn'tt the time, like Sam said, do it when we have a few more points on the board, when the fixtures are spread a bit more.

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

Footballers are just people like us. Talk to a few and it will surprise you how human they are.

Personally I would be gutted if my Christmas party was cancelled due to my performance. 

We all like to pretend that if it was us, we would toughen up and roll our sleeves up... where in reality there is a lot of different people around. Some will roll their sleeves up, some will sulk, some will take it personally and get upset about it and some will be angry about it.

Aaron lennon should be a lesson to all of us that footballers are human just like us.

I just see no positive to stopping what can be a morale boosting and much needed get together.

Now this is just an opinion on the cancelling of a Christmas party. If Sam is just postponing it till a later date, then as long as that date is relevant, then I’m fine with that..... but really, what’s the harm? 

Again, it comes down to the Christmas schedule of fixtures as detailed above.

9 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

But it's not the same people saying those things?

Those who thought we were in relegation trouble still think we are, or at least, could still end up being.

And those who didn't think we were in relegation trouble generally had a belief that the squad was capable of pushing on to the upper parts of the table but not good enough to challenge top 6.

And I don't know where your 'Sam the Saviour' remark is coming from. Most people knew we'd get better results under him, we knew how he'd play. It's just that we didn't think we'd ever have to accept him as our manager. We thought we were aiming for a younger longer term solution. But once appointed, most got behind Allardyce, Lee and Shakespere for the good of the club. As that's what good fans do.

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

Again, it comes down to the Christmas schedule of fixtures as detailed above.

To be fair mate, I don’t think we’re the only team that has Christmas fixtures.... another point is that even I knew about these fixtures months ago. 

The club should have known as well.

Its a pointless discussion to be honest. Some agree while some don’t. If we continue to build.. then his decision could be deemed right. If we don’t it could be deemed wrong. While if we continue to build, it could easily be due to the teams confidence and nothing more. 

I personally don’t think it will have any bearing on results whatsoever. Just pointless and needless for me.

5 hours ago, GoonerJeeves said:

He's doing well for your lot, as expected. This is his biggest chance in club management. With the players you have out injured, and perhaps an addition or two in january, things are brightening up surely?

well said young gooner you are learning,  this time next year you will be ToffeeJeeves:lol:

7 hours ago, Paddock said:

What about it- he’s been dropped after a total none show in the Derby.

And it wasn't down to him storming out because he wasn't selected.

A striker no show in the derby.... that reminds me of our little wager.  Rom goals vs top 6.... feeling confident. 

14 hours ago, hafnia said:

And it wasn't down to him storming out because he wasn't selected.

A striker no show in the derby.... that reminds me of our little wager.  Rom goals vs top 6.... feeling confident. 

I never said it was- don’t worry about the wager, if he doesn’t I’ll pay up- no problem. None of that takes away the fact Niasse was dropped because he’s shite.

32 minutes ago, Paddock said:

I never said it was- don’t worry about the wager, if he doesn’t I’ll pay up- no problem. None of that takes away the fact Niasse was dropped because he’s shite.

I know you are good for it. Btw it wouldn't surprise me if he did a mad blitz against a top 6 side so it aint over.

I don't think niasse is a very good player... then again neither was Cahill. He was better than niasse but became an effective player because of heart.... sane as niasse. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

I know you are good for it. Btw it wouldn't surprise me if he did a mad blitz against a top 6 side so it aint over.

I don't think niasse is a very good player... then again neither was Cahill. He was better than niasse but became an effective player because of heart.... sane as niasse. 

I genuinely wish he was good enough mate but we’re past the days of accepting layers who try as good enough for the team- he barely gets a kick against good sides and is just anonymous- he tries and I applaud him for it but just trying alone isn’t enough. We need a quality striker in and I think our back up should be Sandro- he has so much more potential than Niasse.

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

I genuinely wish he was good enough mate but we’re past the days of accepting layers who try as good enough for the team- he barely gets a kick against good sides and is just anonymous- he tries and I applaud him for it but just trying alone isn’t enough. We need a quality striker in and I think our back up should be Sandro- he has so much more potential than Niasse.

Agreed, the rest of the team have to do their part in creating chances and supporting him.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Agreed, the rest of the team have to do their part in creating chances and supporting him.

Matt the rest of the team could run their arses off supporting him and creating chances, but he just isn'tt good enough to convert them. I love the guy for his effort and "never say die" attitude but he is a modern Strek or Brett Angel, no amount of team work will change that.

13 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Matt the rest of the team could run their arses off supporting him and creating chances, but he just isn'ttt good enough to convert them. I love the guy for his effort and "never say die" attitude but he is a modern Strek or Brett Angel, no amount of team work will change that.

Straq even:lol:.