IGNORED

Apollon Limassol (Europa Group Stage Away) Thursday December 7th

markjazzbassist

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Throwaway game here.  Will be interesting to see what big sam decides to do.  Play the youngsters and fringe players to see who is gonna be in his plans and who won’t.  Derby is around the corner so starters will need to be rested.

Robles

martina keane Jags baines

Beni besic

Vlasic klaassen lookman

DCL

Sandro for DCL

Attention obviously needs to be on Liverpool and protecting the likely starters for that.  Given Apollon have nothing to play for either, this seems a really good opportunity to get games/form into certain players and to see what options we've got. 

I'd like to see something like this, all of these players should be keen to impress.   

Robles

Besic   Keane   Jags   Martina

Beni          Schneiderlin

Klaassen

Vlasic                   Lookman

Sandro

Injuries depending, I'd look at playing Mirallas, Feeney, and DCL off of the bench.  Expecting DCL to be a starter against Liverpool, but getting as much confidence as possible into him can only be good for the team.

On 30/11/2017 at 00:41, markjazzbassist said:

Throwaway game here.  Will be interesting to see what big sam decides to do.  Play the youngsters and fringe players to see who is gonna be in his plans and who won’t.  Derby is around the corner so starters will need to be rested.

No such thing for us at the moment Mark

9 hours ago, Shukes said:

This is going to be the ideal game for Sam to try his own thing or take a look at some of the other players. 

A win would be good to continue our momentum... we all saw how it affected us last time.... but we should have squad players that can get a result.

agree 100%  good post 

^^ Really hope that's true. I don't care who plays, where they play, in what formation, and who manages them, so long as it involves nobody who will feature on Sunday.  Liverpool need to take their midweek match very seriously, so let them tire themselves out while we rest and work on the Derby's game plan. 

I'm not into all this playing weak teams, if players can't play two games (3 hours) of football a week without feeling tired they need to have a serious look at themselves.  They should go and have a chat to Eddie Izzard (a non athlete) who ran 27 marathons in 27 days.

We need to get a settled team, wholesale changes do nothing but cause disruption.

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'm not into all this playing weak teams, if players can't play two games (3 hours) of football a week without feeling tired they need to have a serious look at themselves.  They should go and have a chat to Eddie Izzard (a non athlete) who ran 27 marathons in 27 days.

We need to get a settled team, wholesale changes do nothing but cause disruption.

I don’t think it’s so much about tiredness, but the coaching team wanting to spend as much time drilling the players on the game plan for the derby. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

It's not a suitable comparison in my opinion. Izzard isn't running at an elite level. He may run those marathons but he sure as shit doesn't win them. I could easily play 90 minutes of football every day of the week, it doesn't mean I could do it at elite level. 

If we were at home on Thursday then I'd say keep the team together, but the fact it's a long flight away, back late night, Friday's training mostly physio work, then Saturday to prepare...the statistics show that teams simply perform worse the match after a Europa away game. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

wholesale changes do nothing but cause disruption.

It's not going to disrupt the team that are going to play Liverpool if they all stay at Finch Farm to prepare; that's like saying an under 23 game on a Thursday would disrupt the first team's weekend match.

2 hours ago, Isaiah said:

It's not a suitable comparison in my opinion. Izzard isn't running at an elite level. He may run those marathons but he sure as shit doesn't win them. I could easily play 90 minutes of football every day of the week, it doesn't mean I could do it at elite level. 

Your right Isaiah it's not a suitable comparison, to run 26 miles for six days of the  week equaling about 150 miles and still having the bottle to get up and do it again on Sunday. 

That's about 3 hours running every day, your telling me that these supreme athletes can't play football for 3 hours a week. ?  This is not about doing anything in an elite way it's about covering a certain amount of distance and getting tired.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

It's not going to disrupt the team that are going to play Liverpool if they all stay at Finch Farm to prepare; that's like saying an under 23 game on a Thursday would disrupt the first team's weekend match.

I can't wait to see what team actually plays, we could end up being fined by FIFA  or the FA if that's the case.

No Bill, I'm not saying they "can't play football for 3 hours a week". I'm saying it's difficult to do it at the optimum level if you don't take rests. I don't know why you're getting hung up on some guy running a bunch of consecutive marathons as if that actually means something in this context. You may have noticed professional marathon runners never do that, and there's a reason for it.

But fine, let's use your reasoning. Let's say that between now and Sunday, Everton organise proper matches for the first 11 every single afternoon against professional opposition. Just to instill some Eddie Izzardian guts and "bottle" in them and prepare them for facing Liverpool at the weekend. You support this idea? After all, if Eddie can run 150 miles a week, these fairies ought to be able to play 9 hours of football between now and Sunday, right?  

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

I can't wait to see what team actually plays, we could end up being fined by FIFA  or the FA if that's the case.

Dead game for both sides in a dead group Bill, if us putting out an under strength side in a game that impacted anyone else's qualification then maybe we'd be punished, but in the circumstances I don't see it happening.

Not going to get into an argument with you Isiaih, to me this is just about professional footballers feeling tired after 3 hours of football a week, these supreme athletes have the best doctors, trainers, diatricians and God know what else, so if they feel tired something is very very wrong.

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

Not going to get into an argument with you Isiaih, to me this is just about professional footballers feeling tired after 3 hours of football a week, these supreme athletes have the best doctors, trainers, diatricians and God know what else, so if they feel tired something is very very wrong.

I’ll hop in to say this: Point taken. You aren’t wrong. But, as MikeO pointed out, the argument doesn’t actually apply here. We are going to put out what is essentially a reserve side, not to rest players for Sunday, but because both Everton and Apollon have already been eliminated from the competition. So, the more apt line of reasoning is to suggest that we (1) won’t want to risk injury to key players ahead of a meaningful match and (2) will want to keep our best 11 focused on preparing for a meaningful match, rather than waste valuable time on a match that has nothing at stake beyond pride, confidence, and comfort within a new tactical system. It’s essentially a mid-season friendly.

2 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Robles

Feeney Keane ?? Martina

Klaassen McCarthy Baningime

Vlasic Sandro Lookman

Subs: Hewelt Charsley Broadhead Denny Hornby Collins ??

Rested: Pickford Williams Jags Rooney Lennon Gueye Gylfi Niasse Davies DCL Holgate Kenny

Out: Baines Bolasie Barkley Besic Seamus Mori 

Fuck off: Mirallas Schneiderlin

Who goes right back then? That’s only 10, right?

edit: the ?? Is a player, not questioning if Keane should start :doh: