IGNORED

Liverpool Derby (Our old stadium) Sunday December 10th

markjazzbassist

56 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Anyone else a little concerned that if Rooney plays in midfield that he could be given the run around by the pace and energy of the Liverpool front 5 or 6?

Any one without pace or a decent positional sense will struggle against their forwards. Ideally we'd have Davies and McCarthy with a sitter barking instructions. 

More concerned we'll have one big chance and DCL will miss it. Goal scorers are too valuable to be sitting in midfield. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Any one without pace or a decent positional sense will struggle against their forwards. Ideally we'd have Davies and McCarthy with a sitter barking instructions. 

More concerned we'll have one big chance and DCL will miss it. Goal scorers are too valuable to be sitting in midfield. 

Yeh completely. At least someone like Gana has the pace to get back into position etc but the more I think of both Rooney and Gana in midfield together scares the shit out of me. One of them will dwell on the ball and get caught out, although saying that Sam will have us punting it long fairly quickly.

Im ok with Rooney in midfield. What he lacks in pace he more than makes up for in experience. He is also the best distributor we have and he showed us all that he can score from there with his hattrick. 

Im looking forward to this. We are massive under dogs and have everything to win and almost nothing to lose.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

without pace or a decent positional sense

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

How can anyone say we need pace in the centre and then list Davies as a starter? He runs, I’ll give him that, but he’s not quick, and will be as susceptible to being given the runaround. 

Davies falls in to the latter of what I said. 

27 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

:unsure: his positional sense is terrible. He’s still learning it and does all the things you hate Gana for - charging after the ball, getting nowhere near and then being left in no-mans land. 

He's smarter about it, and further forward so it's a different role.

Davies is aware of where the other players are and closes the angles to make it harder for the opposition to find a decent pass. Trys to force errors much like Firminio does for the redshite. Whereas Gana just runs towards the ball. When defensive Davies also knows when to stand and stay goal side rather than rushing at them. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

To think he’s stuck on the bench in Norwich can’t get games.  We could have used his attitude and graft when we were losing all those games.

Absolutely. Got a fair few cowards in our squad - that lad was a man and a half.  Never the greatest player but very astute and a great one on one finisher.  Great character. 

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

Absolutely. Got a fair few cowards in our squad - that lad was a man and a half.

Although the word “ coward” is harsh, it does remind me of something I have found maddening in the last couple of seasons.  I have the impression that when other teams attack, they manage to have multiple players in the box.  But - again an impression - Everton rarely have more than 1 or 2 in the box for a cross.  This strikes me as one of several examples of our lack of ...... something.  Energy, alertness, aggression, pace, smarts, courage?  What?

Maybe my impression is just wrong, or maybe it’s changing this season, I don’t know.

13 hours ago, pete0 said:

He's smarter about it, and further forward so it's a different role.

Davies is aware of where the other players are and closes the angles to make it harder for the opposition to find a decent pass. Trys to force errors much like Firminio does for the redshite. Whereas Gana just runs towards the ball. When defensive Davies also knows when to stand and stay goal side rather than rushing at them. 

A smarter idiot is still an idiot.

10 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

If the match is called off it won’t be called off due to the pitch, it’ll be because of conditions outside the ground. 

Is it bad enough there to be a possibility I'll be gutted if it is I've got a good feeling about today I genuinely think we are going to give them a game and come away with something