IGNORED

Newcastle (Away) Wednesday December 13

markjazzbassist

12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Rafa has them playing well but I don’t feel like they have a strong squad.  Weak strikers, ok midfield, ok defense.  If we would attack I would be confident.  But it’s away with Big Sam which means parked bus and pray for a draw.

pickford

kenny holgate williams baines

gana Schneiderlin 

vlasic rooney gylfi

DCL

No he doesn’t, they’re in terrible form. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Rafa has them playing well but I don’t feel like they have a strong squad.  Weak strikers, ok midfield, ok defense.  If we would attack I would be confident.  But it’s away with Big Sam which means parked bus and pray for a draw.

pickford

kenny holgate williams baines

gana Schneiderlin 

vlasic rooney gylfi

DCL

I doubt we'll play for a draw. We'll be looking at this knowing we can get 3 points. Yes, We'll take a catious approach but it won't be on scale that we seen at Anfield.

I hope.

I got the impression from Allardyce’s pre-derby press conference that Baines might be out for awhile, weeks.  Anybody remember such a comment?

If yes, I absolutely dread seeing Martina at LB again on Wednesday.  Is it even conceivable Allardyce thinks Martina played ok today?  Might this be a case of “no good answer left,” so that no matter Allardyce’s selection, the selection will be bad, and he may think Martina is bad, but the least-bad possibility?

Isn’t a less-bad option 3 at the back?

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

I'm hoping we have more of the ball this game and can free up Rooney to play up top. 

Pickford 

Kenny Holgate Williams Besic 

Baningime 

Lennon Davies Sigurdssen Vlasic 

Rooney 

I expect Rooney to be back in deep midfield again, back to the same team that beat Huddersfield (depending on fitness). Allardyce is keen to avoid overloading players so he might swap a couple out.

48 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I got the impression from Allardyce’s pre-derby press conference that Baines might be out for awhile, weeks.  Anybody remember such a comment?

If yes, I absolutely dread seeing Martina at LB again on Wednesday.  Is it even conceivable Allardyce thinks Martina played ok today?  Might this be a case of “no good answer left,” so that no matter Allardyce’s selection, the selection will be bad, and he may think Martina is bad, but the least-bad possibility?

Isn’t a less-bad option 3 at the back?

My impression at the end of today's game was that whilst he didn't have any cover for Martina and therefore couldn't really take him off, he brought on Jags to play on his side to move him a little further away from the penalty area because he was a massive risk at that point which was a smart move.

I was expecting this game to be a rebuilding job after a battering against Liverpool but seeing as we're still unbeaten under Allardyce I'm actually optimistic heading into this one. Newcastle have been in awful form and if it wasn't for the absolute dross in this league like West Ham and Crystal Palace hogging the lime-light they would be getting scrutinised a lot more than they are doing at the moment, to put it bluntly I'll be dissapointed with anything other than three points against the Toon. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

For a newly promoted side they’re not in the relegation zone which to me is playing well.  I expect most promoted sides to get relegated.

They're two points above 18th, if we beat them in the week they could be in there which would go against your theory. Despite having a little bit of clout Newcastle really are under-achieving and if it looks to be going pear shaped around February/March expect Rafa to start making noises about leaving to save face.

In trying to figure out a good lineup, several limitations.  (1) We have no competent LB.  Baines looks out for another week or more.  If Allardyce prefers 4 at the back, he must choose the least-bad option among nothing but bad options.  (2) Davies does not seem to be at the top of his game recently.  (3) Rooney can probably play 60-70 minutes on short rest, as he has more emotional energy than the vast majority of our players.  His best position is Deep Lying Playmaker.  So .....

Pickford

Kenny   Holgate   Williams   Jagielka

Gana      Rooney

Lookman     Sigurdsson

DCL            Niasse

2d half subs: if behind, Vlasic, Mirallas; if ahead, from among Lennon, Schneiderlin, Davies, Besic 

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

McCarthy RB and Kenny LB?  Besic at RB also.  i think besic and McCarthy the only ones who have played fullback for us in a pinch.

I'd forgotten about McCarthy but I'm not sure he is fit either. I dont know whether Feeney could play full back? I think the moral of the story is that we have terrible cover at full back!

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I'd forgotten about McCarthy but I'm not sure he is fit either. I dont know whether Feeney could play full back? I think the moral of the story is that we have terrible cover at full back!

even the limassol match we had carlsey an ACM playing fullback!  the backups for our backups are even out of position :rofl:

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Jagielka can't play LB. It would have to be Besic (or Lennon with Kenny switching) I think... I cant think of anyone else? 

There are no good options, only bad ones.  Happens in life repeatedly.  Kenny is probably the least bad, but he’s played so well at RB recently that it seems unwise (to me) to move him to LB.  I have advocated Besic as preferable to Martina, but radio commentary on his play Thursday at CH was nervous.  I’m perhaps alone in thinking Jagielka - not a LB to be sure - is least bad option.

I think Martina is the worst of the lot of bad options, but I fear Allardyce will stick with him there.  I’d even put Schneiderlin at LB ahead of Martina.

5 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Honestly, some of you are fucking grinding my gears with your negativity. I get it, you don't like Sam Allardyce, but give it a rest now. We're still unbeaten under his stewardship and I don't see that changing here.

We'll roll these over because they play exactly the way some of you muppets seem to want Everton to do. They mindlessly attack and have no thoughts about defending. I'm sure their fans love being relegated every other year.

In the Premier League it's about keeping clean sheets and scoring the first goal. I'm confident that we can keep a clean sheet against these and so then it goes on to scoring the first goal.

Sam has inherited a squad that isn'ttt exactly bristling with super star attacking talent so it HAS to be a bit defensive until he can add more effective players.

We're still in a situation where a bad result can break our confidence. Get a good 2-0 away win against this lot and another win in our next game and we can really start believing that we've turned a corner.

Para 1 totally agree with, para two, do not underestimate Newcastle, I have myself at times.  Para three I agree with para four is very true.  last para, I am not sure of but you may be right.

5 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Honestly, some of you are fucking grinding my gears with your negativity. I get it, you don't like Sam Allardyce, but give it a rest now. We're still unbeaten under his stewardship and I don't see that changing here.

We'll roll these over because they play exactly the way some of you muppets seem to want Everton to do. They mindlessly attack and have no thoughts about defending. I'm sure their fans love being relegated every other year.

In the Premier League it's about keeping clean sheets and scoring the first goal. I'm confident that we can keep a clean sheet against these and so then it goes on to scoring the first goal.

Sam has inherited a squad that isn'ttt exactly bristling with super star attacking talent so it HAS to be a bit defensive until he can add more effective players.

We're still in a situation where a bad result can break our confidence. Get a good 2-0 away win against this lot and another win in our next game and we can really start believing that we've turned a corner.

I knew I liked you.

I would like to see:

Pickford 

kenny   Holgate. Williams . Besic

.                           Gana

Lennon .           Rooney.         Lookman

.                         Gylfi 

DCL

hate seeing Rooney and Gylfi used out wide and having to defend. Lennon and Lookman have the pace and energy to get up and back.

IMO Besic would be fine at LB. 

I would like to see:

Pickford

Kenny       Holgate      Williams     Besic

Gana     Davies

Lookman              Gilfy                Vlasic

DCL

Rest Rooney as he played Sunday and have him on the bench if necessary. I would like to see Lookman and Vlasic as they have pace to burn and that will hurt Newcastle.

Besic at left back as at least he wont be brushed off the ball.

I have a tactical formation question about this specific match, relating to the fact that we have no good option at LB: might (and/or should) Allardyce go with 3 at the back?  Such as .....

Pickford

Holgate    Williams    Jagielka

Kenny     Gana     Lennon/Davies

Rooney

Lookman     Sigurdsson

DCL