IGNORED

Rube's Random Ruminations

rubecula

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

some beautiful country there rubes, i'm an outdoorsman (whole family is, born and raised camping and backpacking) and it looks like there are some awesome hikes out there.  loved the timelapse landscapes video

I love the place Mark,  and now I live here there is little chance I will go back to Liverpool  but it is only just along the road a bit.

1 minute ago, rubecula said:

I love the place Mark,  and now I live here there is little chance I will go back to Liverpool  but it is only just along the road a bit.

i was hoping there was a video on your island but alas there was not.  maybe you can get them to pay you to make one, a day in the life of rubes in Angseley :rofl:

I think I may have posted this before (but not on this thread). We used to go to Anglesey every year on our summer holidays.  We stayed on a farm (owned by the Roberts family) which was only a couple of miles from Benlech Bay.  My Dad had an old Ford van and he used to drive all over the Island.  Red Wharf Bay is another place I remember well.  I used to enjoy staying on the Farm and helping out. I thought I was 'helping out' but I was probably a pain in the butt.  I would have been about 12/13.  I remember once 'herding' the cows into the yard for milking. As I closed the five bar gate, the last cow decided it didn't want to  go in the yard, it turned, put its head down and charged the gate.  It knocked me and the  gate to the other side of the lane. One other memory I have is that one of the hens had made a nest that the farmer didn't know about.  It hatched chickens which the farmer didn't want (he sold eggs) so the farmers wife threw all the chickens on the fire. Upset me a bit that.  Apart from that, wonderful memories of Anglesey and I would recommend a visit to anyone who hasn't been.

1 minute ago, johnh said:

I think I may have posted this before (but not on this thread). We used to go to Anglesey every year on our summer holidays.  We stayed on a farm (owned by the Roberts family) which was only a couple of miles from Benlech Bay.  My Dad had an old Ford van and he used to drive all over the Island.  Red Wharf Bay is another place I remember well.  I used to enjoy staying on the Farm and helping out. I thought I was 'helping out' but I was probably a pain in the butt.  I would have been about 12/13.  I remember once 'herding' the cows into the yard for milking. As I closed the five bar gate, the last cow decided it didn't want to  go in the yard, it turned, put its head down and charged the gate.  It knocked me and the  gate to the other side of the lane. One other memory I have is that one of the hens had made a nest that the farmer didn't know about.  It hatched chickens which the farmer didn't want (he sold eggs) so the farmers wife threw all the chickens on the fire. Upset me a bit that.  Apart from that, wonderful memories of Anglesey and I would recommend a visit to anyone who hasn't been.

great stuff Johnh

Rubes

When I was in my teens, I used to collect old coins.  I still have the residue of the collection and one of the coins is a 'Parys Penny'.  Around the rim it states that it is legal tender in 'London, Liverpool and Anglesey'.  The date would be 1790's.   So if you ever need to 'spend a penny' let me know!:D

2 minutes ago, johnh said:

Rubes

When I was in my teens, I used to collect old coins.  I still have the residue of the collection and one of the coins is a 'Parys Penny'.  Around the rim it states that it is legal tender in 'London, Liverpool and Anglesey'.  The date would be 1790's.   So if you ever need to 'spend a penny' let me know!:D

haaaaaaaaa  you are insane mate  lol  :lol:

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

Only problem is it's full of Welsh people, not that I'm remotely Welshist:unsure:.

(I actually have a Welsh grandfather so being a quarter Welsh I'm in no position to talk:lol:)

Lovely people they are too,  apart from Mike that is,  ( are you a Taff or a Gog Mike?)

17 hours ago, rubecula said:

Great memories. I, too, used to spend my summer holidays in Anglesey in the 70's, on an island called Ynys Faelog (Isle of Rats, I think) by the Menai Strait suspension bridge. The area is steeped in history and well worth a visit. Ynys Faelog is up for sale if any of you have a spare 700K. http://www.countryliving.co.uk/homes-interiors/property/news/a2946/island-for-sale-anglesey/ 

1 hour ago, Formby said:

Great memories. I, too, used to spend my summer holidays in Anglesey in the 70's, on an island called Ynys Faelog (Isle of Rats, I think) by the Menai Strait suspension bridge. The area is steeped in history and well worth a visit. Ynys Faelog is up for sale if any of you have a spare 700K. http://www.countryliving.co.uk/homes-interiors/property/news/a2946/island-for-sale-anglesey/ 

Beautiful, love to live somewhere like that.