IGNORED

Cenk Tosun

8 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

If we are being ruthless he needs to be dropped. Shearer I know I’m reaching for the stars would have bagged all three. He needs benching. Niasse is fucking woeful though I swear to god. 😂

On a good day Cenk would have scored all 3. On a good day Niasse would have scored 1, and fucked up the other 2 royally.

I think DCL did a lot of underrated work opening up space for others. The issue is that on the ball the quality isnt there. 

Niasse is only at the club due to his work ethic and his ability to finish which since that preseason game seems to have gone awol. 

We need Tosun to start scoring again. He seems confident enough for Turkey so I dont know why it should be different for us. 

I didn't see him open much space for anyone if I'm honest Bailey 

There's players that slot into a more athlete category and he's one of them for me, runs and has stamina but very little else

I think it was a poor system Silva set out with tbh we should have had one sitter it's a given to most that the two DM's doesn't work and I'd have had Sigurdsson sat slightly deeper with Bernard and Lookman instead of DCL  

Hopefully when we get players back we'll get to see what Silva has in mind but as it is we are toothless upfront and far to easy to counter 

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

DCL is a player who we wouldn't have bought in if he wasn't already in the youth set up etc... he's a good prospect but for me he's not ready for what we are trying to achieve.  

A loan to Middlesbrough or someone is ideal. 

Given the style Silva wants to play he should be starting a head of Tosun and Niasse but he definitely shouldn't be put on the the wing. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Given the style Silva wants to play he should be starting a head of Tosun and Niasse but he definitely shouldn't be put on the the wing. 

another bizarre one from pete0, DCL has shown very little this year, i agree he's above niasse but his hold up work and running the channels and pulling defenders pales in comparison to cenk.

DCL is getting better, people forgot the rise  he has come from. He was a youth player at Sheffield Utd and got promoted quickly to our first squad. He isn’t huge physically but he puts himself about. He will probably be in contention for the England squad due to lack of striking options. I honestly think Niasse is terrible. I know he gets into goal scoring positions but his link up play and the rest is so so bad. We need a proper striker 

4 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

DCL is getting better, people forgot the rise  he has come from. He was a youth player at Sheffield Utd and got promoted quickly to our first squad. He isn’t huge physically but he puts himself about. He will probably be in contention for the England squad due to lack of striking options. I honestly think Niasse is terrible. I know he gets into goal scoring positions but his link up play and the rest is so so bad. We need a proper striker 

He wasn’t huge physically but he’s really buffed up this season. 

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

DCL is a player who we wouldn't have bought in if he wasn't already in the youth set up etc... he's a good prospect but for me he's not ready for what we are trying to achieve.  

A loan to Middlesbrough or someone is ideal. 

??? We brought him into the senior squad only 3 months after he signed for us from Sheffield.

I don’t think he’s good enough, either, but someone clearly thought he was.

5 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

He's done a good job in linking up play and we know he can finish, he just needs to get back in form. Let's not get hyperbolic on this one, I think Cenk is plenty good for this level. 

I agree he's definitely good enough no questions there and I do think he'll come good it's just a risky game of chess hoping it's the next game or the game after that 

I think being benched and coming on fresh might do him some good tbh especially against a side like Arsenal 

1 hour ago, nyblue23 said:

??? We brought him into the senior squad only 3 months after he signed for us from Sheffield.

I don’t think he’s good enough, either, but someone clearly thought he was.

Yeah he was an unsworth signing from Sheff United £1.5m unsworth actually did the interview when we bought him as being one for the future.

He scored 5 goals for the under 23's and got senior game time a few months later.

For me he was bought in to develop as a kid and that is the way I see him now.  He is not good enough to be operating at the level we are looking to be at this moment.  Too much pressure and he certainly shouldn't be starting.  A loan may do him the world of good. 

He's in the same bracket as solanke. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Yeah he was an unsworth signing from Sheff United £1.5m unsworth actually did the interview when we bought him as being one for the future.

He scored 5 goals for the under 23's and got senior game time a few months later.

For me he was bought in to develop as a kid and that is the way I see him now.  He is not good enough to be operating at the level we are looking to be at this moment.  Too much pressure and he certainly shouldn't be starting.  A loan may do him the world of good. 

He's in the same bracket as solanke. 

Totally agree we have a few youngsters who could make it but aren’t ready yet for the intensity of the premiere league, stick 2 or 3 on at the same time and we struggle to cope and it doesn’t do their confidence any good getting a mauling. 

15 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

I didn't see him open much space for anyone if I'm honest Bailey 

There's players that slot into a more athlete category and he's one of them for me, runs and has stamina but very little else

I think it was a poor system Silva set out with tbh we should have had one sitter it's a given to most that the two DM's doesn't work and I'd have had Sigurdsson sat slightly deeper with Bernard and Lookman instead of DCL  

Hopefully when we get players back we'll get to see what Silva has in mind but as it is we are toothless upfront and far to easy to counter 

He was the only person that tried to stretch the game. Everyone else wanted to come short and he was the only player that tried to get behind. 

I dont disagree with the rest.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

another bizarre one from pete0, DCL has shown very little this year, i agree he's above niasse but his hold up work and running the channels and pulling defenders pales in comparison to cenk.

DCL has scored 3 which is more than the other 2 combined and he has played as a winger. Imagine Niasse or Tosun playing wide. DCL showed last season that he can hold up the ball, work the channels and move defenders. Cenk has done that well in a couple of games but he hasnt done it consistently this season. 

This doesnt mean I think DCL is better than Cenk or anything like that but the last couple of games the gap between the two has been slim because Cenk has underperformed and missed chances. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shukes said:

The manager has been starting DCL recently, is that to give Cenk a kick, or because he thinks DCL is the better option?

Good question, neither are proving to be clinical enough at present, and that's our problem, we are creating openings but not taking them.

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Sounds like he missed another big chance too?

There was an opportunity in the first half were he tried to work a better angle rather than get the shot off and so the chance passed , wouldn’t say it was a sitter

He just didn’t really do anything at all. The number of times the ball was knocked up to him and rather than challenge for the ball he tried to roll the defender in the hope  he missed it was infuriating 

He looks very low on confidence and reminded me a lot of Jelavic in his bad days