IGNORED

Cenk Tosun

7 hours ago, Matt said:

I’ve been a big supporter of him, but hes best as an impact sub. His energy, tenacity, unpredictable nature are much more effective against a tiring defence. You could argue he good do that from the beginning and wear down defences, but I’d prefer DCL or Tosun doing that job. 

8 hours ago, London Blue said:

He was ok in the last game, took his goal well, but was awful in the win over Leicester, missed two sitters.

Fundamentally his first touch and ball control are very poor, his finishing is sporadic at best. He tries to make up for this with effort and running. He upsets defenses with his constant harassing.

A sub to throw on when defenses are tired, not a starter. If we are preparing Cenk for next season, giving him time to adjust to life in the Premier League then I would rather have DCL start as he will benefit more from the game time and is a better player. 

Don't get me wrong he is far from perfect but he works hard, he gets in the right areas and he has a knack of making things happen. I think the last 2 wins have shown that he can actually make a mark as a starter in the right situation. 

I would almost go as far to say that his footballing brain is better than I originally gave him credit for, he knows the game, albeit sometimes he has 2 left feet. 

I watched Martial miss 3 sitters at the weekend so it happens but in both games mentioned he has done his bit for the side and more often than not he scores when he plays.

I also think it sends out the wrong message if you drop a player that has been doing the hard graft for the side and playing well as a result.

13 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Don't get me wrong he is far from perfect but he works hard, he gets in the right areas and he has a knack of making things happen. I think the last 2 wins have shown that he can actually make a mark as a starter in the right situation. 

I would almost go as far to say that his footballing brain is better than I originally gave him credit for, he knows the game, albeit sometimes he has 2 left feet. 

I watched Martial miss 3 sitters at the weekend so it happens but in both games mentioned he has done his bit for the side and more often than not he scores when he plays.

I also think it sends out the wrong message if you drop a player that has been doing the hard graft for the side and playing well as a result.

He just does not have the quality to be a starter, in both games his control, passing and finishing have been sporadic at best.

DCL would be a better starter given his hold up play, control and movement. He has scored 4 goals and has 6 assists. Not to mention he is a real prospect and will improve if given game time.

2 hours ago, London Blue said:

He just does not have the quality to be a starter, in both games his control, passing and finishing have been sporadic at best.

DCL would be a better starter given his hold up play, control and movement. He has scored 4 goals and has 6 assists. Not to mention he is a real prospect and will improve if given game time.

I agree about DCL, he is definitely the better player but in our situation we just need someone to put the ball in the back of the net and Niasse has shown he can score when he starts and from the bench. The simple truth is that when it comes to the team scoring goals, Niasse is more effective.

Agreed. No disrespect to Niasse -- he represents Everton in the best way with his work rate and determination, but he's missed some easy finishes (Leicester being a great example). Whenever Niasse leaves this club he'll leave as a cult hero, but if you've watched Cenk play you'll notice he's a better footballer (Haf I'm looking at you). Once we get a better manager in I'll expect Tosun to have more of an impact.

Agreed. No disrespect to Niasse -- he represents Everton in the best way with his work rate and determination, but he's missed some easy finishes (Leicester being a great example). Whenever Niasse leaves this club he'll leave as a cult hero, but if you've watched Cenk play you'll notice he's a better footballer (Haf I'm looking at you). Once we get a better manager in I'll expect Tosun to have more of an impact.

And that why you should always cover your webcam, you never know who’s looking

2 hours ago, tonkaroost said:

I'm not disputing cenk being a better footballer.  We've been crying out for a striker who is a footballer for a long time.  DCL is the best option in that regard at the moment but he is still learning and growing. 

Niasse football wise is on a par with how lukaku was... one minute he controls it well the next it bounces off him. However his work rate sets him aside and allows the midfielders an opportunity to get up the pitch. 

I dont get what allardyce is doing with tosun.  Odd. 

As has been said Niasse is like an upgraded version of Strack, he gives his all and will be a cult hero for helping dig us out of a hole. I really appreciate what he has done for us.

He is not the long term or even, medium term solution but for now he is useful. Once we reach safety I want to see Cenk or DCL play as they need the game time and both have long term futures with us and would benefit from more first team football, now we seem to have a settled midfield.

On 13/02/2018 at 17:54, MikeO said:

I don't think he did; opinion is divided between those who think he cleverly gave Hennessy "the eyes" and then intentionally put it in the other corner and those that think he meant to put it where he was looking but misdirected it and got lucky. I'm in the second camp, it was my immediate instinct and certainly the MOTD pundits agreed with me. Don't get me wrong I love the guy for his attitude but he's really just a slight upgrade on The Straq.

When heading a cross into the box, the rule is 'head it back the way it is coming'.  There are two advantages to this:  1. You get your full forehead on the ball 2. You get more power on the header.  A glancing header is very difficult to control which is why you see so many go wide or over the bar. If you watch Niasse's header, he heads it in the middle of his forehead and back the way it came.  No doubt it was definitely intended.

5 minutes ago, johnh said:

When heading a cross into the box, the rule is 'head it back the way it is coming'.  There are two advantages to this:  1. You get your full forehead on the ball 2. You get more power on the header.  A glancing header is very difficult to control which is why you see so many go wide or over the bar. If you watch Niasse's header, he heads it in the middle of his forehead and back the way it came.  No doubt it was definitely intended.

I agree with all but the last sentence, you think he's a good enough player to psych out the 'keeper by looking one way and going the other and making that decision in a split second? If that's true he's Thierry Henry level, and he's plainly not.

42 minutes ago, johnh said:

I’ve watched it over and over again.... the ball hits him on the side of the head. Ya clear as day, he looks one way and the ball slaps on the side of the head.

But who cares... it went in!

11 hours ago, Aidan said:

Thought when I saw the replay he misheaded the ball and was trying to direct it into the far post. 

Didn't think too much about it though because it hit the back of the net. 

On a side note, Martina's cross was inch perfect and Niasse didn't even have to move.

with his wrong foot too, right?

Ahmet Nur Cebi did not say it out of anywhere, stupid sports paparazzi (i don't call them journalist) are asking the same question to him and to the president. What should they say? "No, he betrayed us, he can not come back!!!" or something like that? They are looking for an answer in that caliber. VP and P just being gentle and giving an answer like "of course if he decides..." and yes, if he wants to go back and the conditions are matched for both clubs, he can go back. But he is not looking for that currently.

Anyway, Cenk is already replied, he is happy to be there and trying to prove himself. He has just played 2,5 - 3 games in total ffs. 

It makes me laugh.... "Cenk has struggled to adapt to the premier league".  Not from the few minutes I've seen.  
Are they playing him in the reserves?  It's a load of shit. Maybe he has pissed off fat Sam. 

Or maybe he is actually struggling, if he is off the pace in training there is little point throwing him in at the deep end. Until we are safe we have to go with our best striker and at the moment that is Niasse

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Or maybe he is actually struggling, if he is off the pace in training there is little point throwing him in at the deep end. Until we are safe we have to go with our best striker and at the moment that is Niasse

Exactly let's get safe then let the players waiting in the wings come in and show what they can do.

And I would also love to see Klaassen get a chance there's definitely a creative player in him, we've all seen the videos so there's no doubting his ability.