IGNORED

Nicolas Gaitan

10 hours ago, Makis said:

He's been played in the wings at Atletico. And behind Gylfi and Rooney at ACM? That's a good one.

He’s not good there either.  If we have issues with a Spanish player who scored double digit goals why would we want a guy who can’t even crack the starting lineup in Spain?  

Portugal was his level and in a year or so I expect him back there.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, patto said:

He's 30 next month let's give this a miss we're supposedly getting the age down. 

I'd be willing to look past his age. He's a pretty exceptional talent when I've seen him play. The main concern would be whether he would be able to adapt to a more physical league though.

Why are so many people hung up on age? Ok, so there’s likely a loss on selling the player on (but with prices rising at insane rates, who’s to say we wouldn’t nearly break even for a 33yr old at this rate!). That’s not really an issue anymore, Morhiri has said finances won’t get in the way. 

Then there’s the “age of the squad” argument. Who cares so long as the players are playing well and winning? 2-3 seasons of this guy is a long time - there’s a minimum of 6-9 competitions to play for in that time - and if he plays well and helps us win, along with the other “old”players the I couldn’t give a shit  

The older player is blocking the way for youngsters breaking through? That’s only true if the youngster isn’t good /ready enough and completely in the hands of the manager, who needs choices and competition. 

The old adage of “if you’re good enough, you’re old enough” works at both ends of the spectrum. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Why are so many people hung up on age? Ok, so there’s likely a loss on selling the player on (but with prices rising at insane rates, who’s to say we wouldn’t nearly break even for a 33yr old at this rate!). That’s not really an issue anymore, Morhiri has said finances won’t get in the way. 

Then there’s the “age of the squad” argument. Who cares so long as the players are playing well and winning? 2-3 seasons of this guy is a long time - there’s a minimum of 6-9 competitions to play for in that time - and if he plays well and helps us win, along with the other “old”players the I couldn’t give a shit  

The older player is blocking the way for youngsters breaking through? That’s only true if the youngster isn’t good /ready enough and completely in the hands of the manager, who needs choices and competition. 

The old adage of “if you’re good enough, you’re old enough” works at both ends of the spectrum. 

I can imagine people turning their noses up at Cristiano Ronaldo due to him being the wrong side of 30 too! You've made a good point there though. I'd add that with age comes the experience to show the younger lads how its done too.

For example I can imagine Rooney has been teach DCL as much as he can about being a striker which, if through all the errrrs DCL can stay focused on what he's saying im sure he has learnt stuff which will improve his game.

16 minutes ago, aaron said:

I can imagine people turning their noses up at Cristiano Ronaldo due to him being the wrong side of 30 too! You've made a good point there though. I'd add that with age comes the experience to show the younger lads how its done too.

For example I can imagine Rooney has been teach DCL as much as he can about being a striker which, if through all the errrrs DCL can stay focused on what he's saying im sure he has learnt stuff which will improve his game.

That's a point that is massively undervalued too