Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
markjazzbassist

Video replay/VAR opinions

Recommended Posts

In my opinion American sports are in the middle of being destroyed by video replay.  Football and basketball being the biggest.  Massive delays to the game, stopping the play, calls still called wrong, etc.  also because of replay now penalties and fouls are up in numbers which causes more replays for those penalties or fouls.  It’s ciclical.

 

at this moment I am happy soccer does not have video replay.  I think allowing some error and just living with it is better than the stop/start and delay of games and momentum replay causes.  Not to mention, they might not even get it right (Italian league already had many issues this year).

 

what is your opinion on replay/VAR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d like it only when a “challenge flag” is laid down by the manager or captain, and there’s only 3 for the game per team. Win the challenge, keep your flag. Lose the challenge, lose the flag. That way, if there’s repeated challenges won, it shows the officials need to improve, if not there’s only 6 replays to watch. 

Oh, and all replays should have a 30s cap, at which point whomever is adjudicating has to make a decision either way or challenge fails because it’s not clear cut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt said:

I’d like it only when a “challenge flag” is laid down by the manager or captain, and there’s only 3 for the game per team. Win the challenge, keep your flag. Lose the challenge, lose the flag. That way, if there’s repeated challenges won, it shows the officials need to improve, if not there’s only 6 replays to watch. 

Oh, and all replays should have a 30s cap, at which point whomever is adjudicating has to make a decision either way or challenge fails because it’s not clear cut. 

Good ideas matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rubecula said:

As long as it does not disrupt play I don't really care about it to be honest Mark.  However the moment it does impact in a detrimental way I will be against it.

I agree and I'm also not sure how it will work because some decisions are really debatable. Look at our pen against Liverpool, some think it was, some think it wasn't. Same with the Niasse "dive". 

The sports in which VAR is currently used have a lot more clear cut than it would be in football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree and I'm also not sure how it will work because some decisions are really debatable. Look at our pen against Liverpool, some think it was, some think it wasn't. Same with the Niasse "dive". 

The sports in which VAR is currently used have a lot more clear cut than it would be in football.

Good point.  That’s why I’m against it.  Because if it’s going to be stopping the match and it’s not clear cut (like basketball) then why even have it?  

 

I think they can have the goal replay tech like hockey where every goal is reviewed (there’s little to no stoppage 95%) of the time.  They verify it wasn’t a hand ball in or offside or whatever while the players head back to face off.  Very quick.  It’s only done by people in the booth and it only gets stopped/mentioned by refs if it’s not a goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree and I'm also not sure how it will work because some decisions are really debatable. Look at our pen against Liverpool, some think it was, some think it wasn't. Same with the Niasse "dive". 

I think in debatable/borderline situations such as that we could follow cricket and go with "umpire's (ref's) call" so the original decision stands.

Has to be a 100% rock solid case for it to be overturned (eg Ashley Young sent off and a pen awarded yesterday).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I think in debatable/borderline situations such as that we could follow cricket and go with "umpire's (ref's) call" so the original decision stands.

Has to be a 100% rock solid case for it to be overturned (eg Ashley Young sent off and a pen awarded yesterday).

Agreed. 

What's the next order of business 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...