IGNORED

Video replay/VAR opinions

In my opinion American sports are in the middle of being destroyed by video replay.  Football and basketball being the biggest.  Massive delays to the game, stopping the play, calls still called wrong, etc.  also because of replay now penalties and fouls are up in numbers which causes more replays for those penalties or fouls.  It’s ciclical.

at this moment I am happy soccer does not have video replay.  I think allowing some error and just living with it is better than the stop/start and delay of games and momentum replay causes.  Not to mention, they might not even get it right (Italian league already had many issues this year).

what is your opinion on replay/VAR?

I’d like it only when a “challenge flag” is laid down by the manager or captain, and there’s only 3 for the game per team. Win the challenge, keep your flag. Lose the challenge, lose the flag. That way, if there’s repeated challenges won, it shows the officials need to improve, if not there’s only 6 replays to watch. 

Oh, and all replays should have a 30s cap, at which point whomever is adjudicating has to make a decision either way or challenge fails because it’s not clear cut. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I’d like it only when a “challenge flag” is laid down by the manager or captain, and there’s only 3 for the game per team. Win the challenge, keep your flag. Lose the challenge, lose the flag. That way, if there’s repeated challenges won, it shows the officials need to improve, if not there’s only 6 replays to watch. 

Oh, and all replays should have a 30s cap, at which point whomever is adjudicating has to make a decision either way or challenge fails because it’s not clear cut. 

Good ideas matt

8 hours ago, rubecula said:

As long as it does not disrupt play I don't really care about it to be honest Mark.  However the moment it does impact in a detrimental way I will be against it.

I agree and I'm also not sure how it will work because some decisions are really debatable. Look at our pen against Liverpool, some think it was, some think it wasn't. Same with the Niasse "dive". 

The sports in which VAR is currently used have a lot more clear cut than it would be in football.

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree and I'm also not sure how it will work because some decisions are really debatable. Look at our pen against Liverpool, some think it was, some think it wasn't. Same with the Niasse "dive". 

The sports in which VAR is currently used have a lot more clear cut than it would be in football.

Good point.  That’s why I’m against it.  Because if it’s going to be stopping the match and it’s not clear cut (like basketball) then why even have it?  

I think they can have the goal replay tech like hockey where every goal is reviewed (there’s little to no stoppage 95%) of the time.  They verify it wasn’t a hand ball in or offside or whatever while the players head back to face off.  Very quick.  It’s only done by people in the booth and it only gets stopped/mentioned by refs if it’s not a goal.

20 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think in debatable/borderline situations such as that we could follow cricket and go with "umpire's (ref's) call" so the original decision stands.

Has to be a 100% rock solid case for it to be overturned (eg Ashley Young sent off and a pen awarded yesterday).

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I think in debatable/borderline situations such as that we could follow cricket and go with "umpire's (ref's) call" so the original decision stands.

Has to be a 100% rock solid case for it to be overturned (eg Ashley Young sent off and a pen awarded yesterday).

Agreed. 

What's the next order of business 😁

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

VAR was supposed to be introduced to look back at obvious errors by the reffing team. Now they are looking at everything and it’s stupid. Chalking goals off for somebody’s finger being offside is a joke. Just rectify the glaring errors and leave the rest alone!!!! 

Amen to that, couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

VAR was supposed to be introduced to look back at obvious errors by the reffing team. Now they are looking at everything and it’s stupid. Chalking goals off for somebody’s finger being offside is a joke. Just rectify the glaring errors and leave the rest alone!!!! 

Get rid of it completely. 

I never wanted it but can tolerate it if it’s a bad error or there is a lot of controversy behind it but I don’t where it’s going to end. Strikers will just fall over if there shirt is pulled in the box every time and want a penalty and by the letter of the law they should get them. Players and fans aren’t going to want to celebrate a goal anymore cos they know it’ll be reviewed and you lose the feeling of what the game is about. I think it’s going to go tits up next season big time 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Matt said:

It'll take time to adapt it to reality. Hopefully the powers that be will quickly learn that it should only be reviewed on call from a manager, and that they've only got a number of calls, losing 1 each time their call is wrong. It's so fucking simple..

Similar to challenge rules in the NFL. I like being able to limit the coach for a little bit. 

On 10/08/2019 at 23:30, Matt said:

It'll take time to adapt it to reality. Hopefully the powers that be will quickly learn that it should only be reviewed on call from a manager, and that they've only got a number of calls, losing 1 each time their call is wrong. It's so fucking simple..

Manager or on field captain. Similar to cricket