IGNORED

Tottenham Hotspur (Away) Saturday January 13th

markjazzbassist

Another tough away game.  I expect spurs to play as they always do attacking and pressing, not sure where they are injury wise but last I checked they were super thin at centreback which would be their only real weakness.  Maybe the punt and run will target their CB and on set pieces.  I expect a parked bus and prayers for a draw.

Pickford

kenny holgate williams cuco

Gana  schneiderlin davies

Rooney gylfi

DCL

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

ok new lineup for me

pickford

kenny holgate williams martina

gana     mccarthy

vlasic   gylfi    lookman

tosun

Rest McCarthy and put DCL up top with Tosun. If we’re going to lose, we might as well give it a go

On 06/01/2018 at 00:04, markjazzbassist said:

ok new lineup for me

pickford

kenny holgate williams martina

gana     mccarthy

vlasic   gylfi    lookman

tosun

No Gana ffs that's a backward step Schneiderlin is much steadier without that space cadet in the team and we look better balanced, when will people learn.

Sorry Mark but anyway I like the rest:)

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Jags Martina

Morgan  McCarthy

Bolasi   Rooney   Siggy

Tosun

Holgate and Jags worked well last time out so I would like to see the back 4 as the same (Kenny and Martina are our only options so easy pick there)

Morgan over Gana for his positional awareness and also because he's developed some slight form recently and it will be good for his confidence. 

Jimmy Mac because he's been good for us lately and also deserves the nod above Gana for now.

Bolasi can make things happen. As can Rooney. Siggy on purely for set pieces and crossing as I dislike him against the bigger teams unless he is in the middle of the park - but I was torn between him and Lennon. 

As Paul said, Tosun has to start. Has had a week or so with the squad and shouldn't be unfit as he has been playing all season with his previous club. 

Im apprehensive about the match as much as I have been against most teams so far this season, but at least we (should) get to see our new striker make his debut. 

Head says Spurs 1-0

Heart says 2-1 Everton Tosun brace!

On 1/10/2018 at 23:10, Aidan Lewis said:

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Jags Martina

Morgan  McCarthy

Bolasi   Rooney   Siggy

Tosun

Holgate and Jags worked well last time out so I would like to see the back 4 as the same (Kenny and Martina are our only options so easy pick there)

Morgan over Gana for his positional awareness and also because he's developed some slight form recently and it will be good for his confidence. 

Jimmy Mac because he's been good for us lately and also deserves the nod above Gana for now.

Bolasi can make things happen. As can Rooney. Siggy on purely for set pieces and crossing as I dislike him against the bigger teams unless he is in the middle of the park - but I was torn between him and Lennon. 

As Paul said, Tosun has to start. Has had a week or so with the squad and shouldn't be unfit as he has been playing all season with his previous club. 

Im apprehensive about the match as much as I have been against most teams so far this season, but at least we (should) get to see our new striker make his debut. 

Head says Spurs 1-0

Heart says 2-1 Everton Tosun brace!

Rooney has been shit in the last couple of games, his passing has been shocking, as has his positioning. He should be dropped and play Siggy in the middle with either Vlasic or Lookman out wide.

41 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Rooney has been shit in the last couple of games, his passing has been shocking, as has his positioning. He should be dropped and play Siggy in the middle with either Vlasic or Lookman out wide.

I Agree.  With that little change its probably our best team at the moment.

Davies and Gana for fresh legs in midfield in the second half.

3 hours ago, London Blue said:

You slag off Rooney every game. He's our top scorer and has the same number of assists than Sigurdsson. He offers far more presence offensively and defensively than Sigurdsson in the centre of the park. 

I’m for Rooney starting as deep lying playmaker when rested - as should be the case most matches rest of season.  Even then, probably 65-70 minutes.  Longer, I suppose, if he’s playing particularly well, inspired, controlling, smart passes.

I’d like to see attacking, some pressing, not setting up purely defensively and hoping to nick a point at the end.  Energy, not hesitation and fear.  We’re as likely to take a point by playing aggressively as by sitting back.

Pickford

Holgate   Williams   Jagielka

McCarthy   Schneiderlin

Rooney

Lennon   Sigurdsson   Bolasie

Tosun

Subs - Gana and Davies on for Rooney and Bolasie if we’re leading second half.  If behind, DCL, Vlasic, Lookman.  Don’t know about Niasse’s situation, but if he’s still an Everton player, have him on bench, too.  If not, then Kenny.

18 minutes ago, Aidan Lewis said:

I'd be very surprised to see a back 3, if we're going to set up like that it'll be a back 5.

I’ll be surprised, too.  I should have said this is what I hope to see.

As for back 5, I’m all for starting 5 defensive players, but not 6 or 7.  (Unless we’re leading second half.)  My preference is that Schneiderlin stay back, McCarthy (rather than Gana) mostly disrupting, venturing forward intermittently.  I don’t want to see 4 backs plus Gana and Schneiderlin; nor do I prefer to see Martina coping with relentless Spurs attackers.  That sort of lineup will tell me Allardyce hopes for nil-nil until late, then nick a goal.  I don’t think that’s our best option for taking a point.

But that formation is, yes, more likely than my preference.

1 hour ago, nogs said:

You slag off Rooney every game. He's our top scorer and has the same number of assists than Sigurdsson. He offers far more presence offensively and defensively than Sigurdsson in the centre of the park. 

No, I don't, I respect what he has contributed over the season, and as you say he has scored and created important goals.

However over the last few games he has been very poor, his passing and movement have been poor, no player should be guaranteed a start, especially when we have good players competing for places. 

How would you rate Rooney's performances in out last couple of games?

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

No, I don't, I respect what he has contributed over the season, and as you say he has scored and created important goals.

However over the last few games he has been very poor, his passing and movement have been poor, no player should be guaranteed a start, especially when we have good players competing for places. 

Yeah his passing has been pretty atrocious for most of the season.

2 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I don't agree we have good players ready to step in and offer what Rooney does at CM. So even if he has an off game, he'd start there every time for me. Him moving to CM is what sparked our rise away from the relegation places for me. And there's a reason why Sigurdsson gets played out wide, he isn'tt good enough at the defensive side to play in the middle. 

With Rooney playing we have a chance of creating something. When he doesn't play we look bereft of ideas. 

13 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

Yeah his passing has been pretty atrocious for most of the season.

This is the Barkley syndrome all over. Fans remembering the poor passes but forgetting about all the good ones. Yeah Rooney plays some shockers. But he also tries things and creates more with his passing than anyone else we have. Otherwise it's just Gana and Schneiderlin knocking it sideways.