IGNORED

Is this the worst season ever in your memory?

Mogsy

I’ve supported Everton since the early 80’s and I’ve seen massive highs and some terrible lows, but this season so far has to be the worst in my lifetime. I know under Walker we were total crap and the Walter Smith reign wasn’t much better, but we knew we were crap, we had zippo cash, the only ‘name’ players we bought were way passed it, but this season we had massive expectations especially after the money we spent, therefore for me it’s been the biggest flop of a season in my lifetime. We are out of all cups, we won’t make Europe and we’ll be lucky to stay top half which will have implications in the summer when trying to get players (not that it’s worked this season)! Rant over!

This season is nowhere near the worst one but is also by far the worst. We’ve had worse but the optimism and hope, excitement, belief and expectation after the summer has magnified this one massively.
Exactly my feelings. I thought this would be the season everything changed.

Then we didn't sign a proper CF.

No it isn'tt the worst season I've witnessed, for me it's the most disappointing season I've had to endure when you consider that we spent big and couldn't wait for the season to start, so much expectation has turned out to be the biggest kick in the bollocks I have ever had since supporting this club and it's hard to take.

I can still remember, while driving south from Boston to New York, listening to game commentary as we played Crystal Palace a little under four years ago. You may remember I was counting down the points difference between Everton and Arsenal as we sought to steal fourth place from them, and we were playing exciting stuff week in and week out - but the air came out of our bag with that defeat. The excitement of that season was over despite finishing with a record number of points. I can't believe how far we've fallen since then. It's the cumulative disappointment that hurts: first losing out in Europe after dominating our group; then beginning to ship goals despite scoring many ourselves and seeing the light go out from the fire Martinez initially brought; then seeing the boring style of football Koeman brought despite having access to new money; then seeing Koeman's team failing to score while playing like infants in defence even after spending easily the most transfer money in years; then being so embarrassed at hiring the crook to manage the team and seeing the appalling style of football he brings; then being walloped today by a score that could easily have been worse, just weeks after failing to beat two teams in the relegation zone. It may not be the worst season, but it has to be one of the worst sustained slides into ignominy after the giddy heights of Martinez' first season. At this point, things can only look up. The sooner we separate from the current manager, and realize what an awful mistake it was bringing him here, the better.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

The thing that separates this season was the expectation. I expected quite a lot in Martinez's 2nd season and whilst that was a bitter disappointing there were highlights along the way. This season is one kick in the nuts after the other.

I didn't really have any expectation after all the change, pretty sure I predicted 10th place finish. It's the complete capitulation for me that makes this so hard to watch. I don't think I've ever seen a team this devoid of ideas or confidence. The bad seasons under Walter Smith and Walker, when I actually started really getting into the game and supporting the club in closer detail, were bad seasons because the teams were shit. But at least they tried for the most part. This team doesn't seem to know what to try, and that's the biggest worry.

No, not yet and unlikely to be. Most frustrating perhaps but not the worst. 

97-98 season comes to mind. 

03-04 was really bad bad (less than 40 points if i remember correctly?). What really annoys me is that the squad in 03-04 had a lot of fantastic players and the team was playing really poorly. Reminds me of this season to be honest. 

Martinez’s last season was a nightmare too. Such a talented squad getting beat at home almost every week and a horrible atmosphere at Goodison, worse than I’ve ever felt, during the last four months or so of his reign. 

Also most of the 90’s. 

It only feels so bad this year because we wanted so much. Ah well, the life of an Evertonian.