IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion (Home) Saturday January 20th

markjazzbassist

On 14/01/2018 at 04:25, markjazzbassist said:

Normally I would consider this an auto 3 points against a relegation favorite.  I don’t have that optimism right now.

Pickford

kenny holgate williams martina

gana

Vlasic gylfi  Lennon

Tosun    DCL

I would love to see that team. I would be surprised as hell, but pleasantly surprised.

PICKFORD

KENNY HOLGATE WILLIAMS GARBUTT

ROONEY DAVIES

VLASIC SIGURDSSON LOOKMAN

TOSUN

Above would be my selection.  Bet it would produce at least a shot on target. No chance of seeing it though...  Just hope that Sam does better with subs this game.  

I understand wanting to get Bolasie fit but he has offered nothing since he came back, bar maybe one half against Man Utd. Our results were much better with Lennon in the side, gives much better support defensively. We beat Huddersfield, Newcastle and Swansea with him and Sigurdsson wide in a front 3, and Rooney at CM, two of those games with Davies and Gana. So why not go back to something that works, Sam? 

16 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Pickford

kenny           Holgate  Jags         Coco

bolasie           Gylfi      Gana       Lookman

Tosun    Walcott

4-4-2 lets have it 

We would get absolutely murdered out wide

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Williams AnyonebutCuco (Garbutt?)

Rooney   Gana

Walcott     Sigurdsson   Vlasic

Tosun

Subs: Lookman, Keane, DCL, Davies, Lennon (if not at LB), Sandro, Robles

I think we could win with that lineup without compromising too much defensively. Doubt we'll see anything like it, though.

I’ve seen a lot of lineups using Gana and I’m not entirely sure why. The lad is a wildcard tackling winner of the ball and breaks up opposition plays well. Possession of the ball is not his strongest suit though. I think we could fair better offensively, in a match that we should HOPEFULLY control the ball, with the obvious, but somewhat currently controversial, Schneiderlin. 

Pickford

Kenny - Holgate - Williams - Cuco 

Schniederlin 

Davies - Siggurdson 

Walcott - Tosun - Bolasie 

Offensively optimistic, mobile centrally and wide, provides access to Tosun, and is the same ol leaky defense because let’s be honest...that’s just what we have! 

10 hours ago, CobblestoneBoulevard said:

I’ve seen a lot of lineups using Gana and I’m not entirely sure why. The lad is a wildcard tackling winner of the ball and breaks up opposition plays well. Possession of the ball is not his strongest suit though. I think we could fair better offensively, in a match that we should HOPEFULLY control the ball, with the obvious, but somewhat currently controversial, Schneiderlin. 

Pickford

Kenny - Holgate - Williams - Cuco 

Schniederlin 

Davies - Siggurdson 

Walcott - Tosun - Bolasie 

Offensively optimistic, mobile centrally and wide, provides access to Tosun, and is the same ol leaky defense because let’s be honest...that’s just what we have! 

I like the theory, and have said somewhere else a while ago that Gana is needed against possession based teams. But if we're looking to control the game, Schneiderlin is the better option provided he's got outlets to ping the ball to. But our manager will put 3 DCM in so it's a pointless discussion anyway

No way I'd play Bolasie though, especially in front of Martina. I'd put Lennon on to offer some cover, whilst adding a higher workrate if Gana isn'ttt there to do it

30 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

I know stats aren't everything, but I do find these revealing:

Gana:

http://www.squawka.com/players/idrissa-gueye/stats#performance-score#everton-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2017/2018#819#all-matches#1-23#by-match

Schneiderlin:

http://www.squawka.com/players/morgan-schneiderlin/stats#performance-score#everton-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2017/2018#819#all-matches#1-23#by-match

Gana leads in pass accuracy (while only averaging 2m less per pass), chances created, has a goal (while Schneiderlin doesn't have a shot on target), and has markedly better defensive numbers. I tend to agree that Schneiderlin is a bit better positionally, but Gana usually makes up for that with his workrate, and I just can't agree that Schneiderlin is significantly better in possession.

Said it time and time again, but if we go with just the one DM it has to be Gana. And I’m a fan of Schneiderlin (when in form).

I would like to see either:

Pickford

Kenny         Holgate      Williams      Coco

Schneiderlin   Davies 

Siggy

Bolasie                                Walcott

Cenk

Or

Pickford

Kenny          Holgate      Williams    Coco

Schneiderlin   Davies

Bolasie                                       Vlasic

Walcott      Cenk

West Brom are there for the taking so lets take the game to them.

1 minute ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I can see Keane getting a game in this one even though I've been slagging him for weeks now.

West Brom, despite a new manager, are still a team full of 6 footers. I can see Kenny dropping to the bench and Holgate going out to right back.

Cuco will stay at left back due to lack of options. Stop shouting for Besic, he clearly isn'ttt good enough considering EVERY manager we have had doesn't select him.

Consider Rooney as a false 9 with Walcott and Tosun overlapping him. 

3 midfielders will be Schneiderlin, Gueye and McCarthy. 

Pickford

Holgate, Williams, Jags, Cuco

Schneiderlin

McCarthy                Gueye

Rooney

Walcott.                     Tosun

I really can't see the point of playing 3 defensive midfielders against a struggling team. They will get in each others way, we have been there before and it was not pretty.

4 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I can see Keane getting a game in this one even though I've been slagging him for weeks now.

West Brom, despite a new manager, are still a team full of 6 footers. I can see Kenny dropping to the bench and Holgate going out to right back.

Cuco will stay at left back due to lack of options. Stop shouting for Besic, he clearly isn'ttt good enough considering EVERY manager we have had doesn't select him.

Pickford

Schneiderlin

Rooney

If your going to move Holgate you might as well play Kenny RB cos he can play better than Coco.

21 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Pickford

Schneiderlin

Rooney

Are you saying that's what will be or what you want to see? Because that is the worst possible midfield we could put out. If you want to completely abdicate all efforts to control the middle of the park, that's the midfield you play. Even Tony Pulis would be more adventurous than that. Playing that midfield lost us the game at Bournemouth, it should never, ever be seen again. 

I'd like to see Keane and Holgate start to form what will hopefully be a solid young pairing and there won't be many better games than this to give them a run together same goes for Garbutt 

One Defensive mid absolutely sick of this shite fad and obsession of having two it does absolutely nothing at all doesn't help defensively we still leak like Katie Price in Ann Summers and adds zilch moving the ball forward 

Bolasie clearly isn'tt a 100% fit so I'd start Walcott and bring him on for the last 30/20 mins Lookman deserves a start the lad needs games 

Expecting Tosun to get a brace 

------------------------Pickford 

Kenny------Holgate----Keane-----Garbutt 

-------------------------Gueye 

--------------Rooney--------Sigurdsson 

Walcott---------------------------------Lookman   

------------------------Tosun 

36 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Setting off soon! Looking forward to a good day out.

Quick visit over to Wirral to see me ald Nan and then back over the river to see the other Grand Old Lady!

COYB!

Haircut then Goodison for me! Hopefully it won't be a bad cut because I don't want to be let down twice today!