IGNORED

Watford (Away) Saturday February 24th

markjazzbassist

same lineup (almost) as palace please and same tactics (don't just sit back for a point).  i would love to add insult to the injury of the Silva pursuit and smash them.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Williams Kenny

Gana

Rooney          Davies

Walcott        Tosun           Gylfi

------------------------Pickford----------------------

Coleman--Holgate--Williams--Martina

---------Rooney----Gana---Davies------------

Waclott---------------------------Siggurdsson

------------------------Niasse-------------------------

Our best partnership at CB is Holgate and Williams. Keane and Mangala are not mentally ready to be starting for us for awhile.

The rest of the team is the same as last time out. If Coleman isn'tt well, Kenny to start.

19 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

same lineup (almost) as palace please and same tactics (don't just sit back for a point).  i would love to add insult to the injury of the Silva pursuit and smash them.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Williams Kenny

Gana

Rooney          Davies

Walcott        Tosun           Gylfi

Thought Martina has done okay lately what is the reason for dropping him Mark? 

Also, if I remember correctly didn't Kenny do a less than convincing job at LB earlier in the season?

Commenting on Bailey’s superb post-match analysis on the CP matchday thread, Hafnia made these important points: “Gana indeed needs to be given the license to roam and tackle but needs a mentor....  Rooney is growing into his deeper role, without doubt.”

I doubt anyone on TT likes the Gana-Schneiderlin setup, so if Allardyce starts that pair (and a predominantly defensive team) at Watford, TT will explode and probably shut down the internet.

As we need attackers, I am tempted to prefer a Davies-Rooney deep lying pairing.  But I should resist that temptation, as Davies must be allowed to get forward.  So Bailey’s analysis and Hafnia’s follow-up persuade me that our most balanced attacking lineup looks like this —

Pickford

Back 4

Gana   Rooney

Davies

Walcott   Sigurdsson

ST

I will continue to worry about Gana’s, while welcoming Davies’s, roaming.  So Hafnia’s point that Rooney can/must “mentor” Gana is worth more comment from Hafnia and others.

Back in December I had a friendly dispute with SteveO about positioning.  I think we came to agree that Rooney’s best position was deep lying playmaker (SteveO’s designation - call it DLP for short).  Wonder now whether there’s a consensus on TT that Rooney can help all of Gana, Davies, and Sigurdsson in this DLP position?

7 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Commenting on Bailey’s superb post-match analysis on the CP matchday thread, Hafnia made these important points: “Gana indeed needs to be given the license to roam and tackle but needs a mentor....  Rooney is growing into his deeper role, without doubt.”

I doubt anyone on TT likes the Gana-Schneiderlin setup, so if Allardyce starts that pair (and a predominantly defensive team) at Watford, TT will explode and probably shut down the internet.

As we need attackers, I am tempted to prefer a Davies-Rooney deep lying pairing.  But I should resist that temptation, as Davies must be allowed to get forward.  So Bailey’s analysis and Hafnia’s follow-up persuade me that our most balanced attacking lineup looks like this —

Pickford

Back 4

Gana   Rooney

Davies

Walcott   Sigurdsson

ST

I will continue to worry about Gana’s, while welcoming Davies’s, roaming.  So Hafnia’s point that Rooney can/must “mentor” Gana is worth more comment from Hafnia and others.

Back in December I had a friendly dispute with SteveO about positioning.  I think we came to agree that Rooney’s best position was deep lying playmaker (SteveO’s designation - call it DLP for short).  Wonder now whether there’s a consensus on TT that Rooney can help all of Gana, Davies, and Sigurdsson in this DLP position?

Definitely. He can manage Gana through games, and even Cuco at times. In fact in the Palace game I saw him marshalling Kenny too. 

The problem with Rooney in that role, and also Siggy to some extent is when we are on the back foot. Rooney isn'tt the most mobile so opposition players can run rings round him if he is exposed. Likewise, Siggy will (and has) found it tough to get up and down the pitch from that left hand side position. It tries his nuts off but he and Rooney are both certainly best when we are controlling possession.  

10 hours ago, Aidan Lewis said:

Thought Martina has done okay lately what is the reason for dropping him Mark? 

Also, if I remember correctly didn't Kenny do a less than convincing job at LB earlier in the season?

I think kenny is better than ok.  Would like to see how it goes.  We’ve got nothing to play for so why not

25 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Mangala Cuco

Davies Schneiderlin Rooney

Walcott Tosun Gylfi

You're just on the wind-up aren't you, secretly plotting with pete0 via PM to fuck with member's heads; are you Dr Who script writers? Imagining us all having our brain sucked out of our ear by a dalek with a straw, I think I'm on to you:shakingfist:.