Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
markjazzbassist

Watford (Away) Saturday February 24th

Recommended Posts

same lineup (almost) as palace please and same tactics (don't just sit back for a point).  i would love to add insult to the injury of the Silva pursuit and smash them.

 

                                             Pickford

                       Coleman Keane Williams Kenny

                                               Gana

                                  Rooney          Davies

                      Walcott        Tosun           Gylfi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m expecting a host of changes. Sam won’t want to keep momentum going. 

Siggy has to be dropped, he played well. Niasse shocked a few up front... so he needs to go. Walcott will need a rest because he’s on fire!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Needs to play different centre's,. Holgate and Jags need a go rather than the three who played yesterday. There wasn't a half decent performance out of any of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill said:

Needs to play different centre's,. Holgate and Jags need a go rather than the three who played yesterday. There wasn't a half decent performance out of any of them.

Agreed.

pickford

kenny Holgate jags martina

davies gana rooney

walcott dcl Siggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

------------------------Pickford----------------------

Coleman--Holgate--Williams--Martina

---------Rooney----Gana---Davies------------

Waclott---------------------------Siggurdsson

------------------------Niasse-------------------------

Our best partnership at CB is Holgate and Williams. Keane and Mangala are not mentally ready to be starting for us for awhile.

The rest of the team is the same as last time out. If Coleman isn'tt well, Kenny to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

same lineup (almost) as palace please and same tactics (don't just sit back for a point).  i would love to add insult to the injury of the Silva pursuit and smash them.

 

                                             Pickford

                       Coleman Keane Williams Kenny

                                               Gana

                                  Rooney          Davies

                      Walcott        Tosun           Gylfi

Thought Martina has done okay lately what is the reason for dropping him Mark? 

Also, if I remember correctly didn't Kenny do a less than convincing job at LB earlier in the season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Commenting on Bailey’s superb post-match analysis on the CP matchday thread, Hafnia made these important points: “Gana indeed needs to be given the license to roam and tackle but needs a mentor....  Rooney is growing into his deeper role, without doubt.”

I doubt anyone on TT likes the Gana-Schneiderlin setup, so if Allardyce starts that pair (and a predominantly defensive team) at Watford, TT will explode and probably shut down the internet.

As we need attackers, I am tempted to prefer a Davies-Rooney deep lying pairing.  But I should resist that temptation, as Davies must be allowed to get forward.  So Bailey’s analysis and Hafnia’s follow-up persuade me that our most balanced attacking lineup looks like this —

          Pickford

           Back 4

       Gana   Rooney

             Davies

   Walcott   Sigurdsson

              ST

I will continue to worry about Gana’s, while welcoming Davies’s, roaming.  So Hafnia’s point that Rooney can/must “mentor” Gana is worth more comment from Hafnia and others.

Back in December I had a friendly dispute with SteveO about positioning.  I think we came to agree that Rooney’s best position was deep lying playmaker (SteveO’s designation - call it DLP for short).  Wonder now whether there’s a consensus on TT that Rooney can help all of Gana, Davies, and Sigurdsson in this DLP position?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Commenting on Bailey’s superb post-match analysis on the CP matchday thread, Hafnia made these important points: “Gana indeed needs to be given the license to roam and tackle but needs a mentor....  Rooney is growing into his deeper role, without doubt.”

I doubt anyone on TT likes the Gana-Schneiderlin setup, so if Allardyce starts that pair (and a predominantly defensive team) at Watford, TT will explode and probably shut down the internet.

As we need attackers, I am tempted to prefer a Davies-Rooney deep lying pairing.  But I should resist that temptation, as Davies must be allowed to get forward.  So Bailey’s analysis and Hafnia’s follow-up persuade me that our most balanced attacking lineup looks like this —

          Pickford

           Back 4

       Gana   Rooney

             Davies

   Walcott   Sigurdsson

              ST

I will continue to worry about Gana’s, while welcoming Davies’s, roaming.  So Hafnia’s point that Rooney can/must “mentor” Gana is worth more comment from Hafnia and others.

Back in December I had a friendly dispute with SteveO about positioning.  I think we came to agree that Rooney’s best position was deep lying playmaker (SteveO’s designation - call it DLP for short).  Wonder now whether there’s a consensus on TT that Rooney can help all of Gana, Davies, and Sigurdsson in this DLP position?

Definitely. He can manage Gana through games, and even Cuco at times. In fact in the Palace game I saw him marshalling Kenny too. 

 

The problem with Rooney in that role, and also Siggy to some extent is when we are on the back foot. Rooney isn'tt the most mobile so opposition players can run rings round him if he is exposed. Likewise, Siggy will (and has) found it tough to get up and down the pitch from that left hand side position. It tries his nuts off but he and Rooney are both certainly best when we are controlling possession.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aidan Lewis said:

Thought Martina has done okay lately what is the reason for dropping him Mark? 

Also, if I remember correctly didn't Kenny do a less than convincing job at LB earlier in the season?

I think kenny is better than ok.  Would like to see how it goes.  We’ve got nothing to play for so why not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I think kenny is better than ok.  Would like to see how it goes.  We’ve got nothing to play for so why not

Fair enough mate but I'm not into dropping players in form, especially this season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Pickford 

Kenny Holgate Williams Martina 

Walcott Davies Schneiderlin Sigurdssen 

Rooney DCL

Got a feeling Bolasie will start this one, hope I'm wrong. 

 

 

Schneiderlin, really?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Mangala Cuco

Davies Schneiderlin Rooney

Walcott Tosun Gylfi

You're just on the wind-up aren't you, secretly plotting with pete0 via PM to fuck with member's heads; are you Dr Who script writers? Imagining us all having our brain sucked out of our ear by a dalek with a straw, I think I'm on to you:shakingfist:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, London Blue said:

Perpetually pertaining to problems of perspective, not pandering to profligate possibilities. 

Probably perfectly perceptive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 17:08, London Blue said:

Perpetually pertaining to problems of perspective, not pandering to profligate possibilities. 

 

On 2/12/2018 at 17:10, MikeO said:

Probably perfectly perceptive.

 

On 2/12/2018 at 17:26, Palfy said:

PeteO and Palfy probably perfect performance pundits.

Prats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Blueherts said:

So same team with holgate & williams at the back then?

I think it might have been Keane and Williams but I really can’t remember. I’m pretty sure Williams is one of the CB’s though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×