IGNORED

Paulo Fonseca

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Btay said:

Strong win % through out his career. Hadnt heard a whole lot about him before this season to be honest.

Neither have I, and although his stats look good, I'm nervous about giving another "up and coming" manager a go. Not a reflection on Fonseca at all, just been burnt too many times in quick succession.

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Neither have I, and although his stats look good, I'm nervous about giving another "up and coming" manager a go. Not a reflection on Fonseca at all, just been burnt too many times in quick succession.

Tbh I am more concerned about hiring a manager that has been around the block. 

Moyes and Martinez were both relatively inexperienced when they joined where as Koeman and Allardyce had been around for a while. 

I much prefer someone with something to prove and new ideas rather than managers who have shown themselves to have limitations. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, plaidharper said:

Watching the Roma - Shakhtar game. 

The Shakhtar squad is playing some really attractive football and working as a unit.  Unsure if it is the coach or the players but either way, I am jealous.

Well.... a CB got roasted and picked up a straight red followed by a silly yellow by another player pushing a ball boy over the boards.  No longer as jealous as I am familiar with such meltdowns. (ala Williams)

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Ukraine for almost 2 years, in Luhansk - Shakhtar zone just before Russia's invasion...

Back in that time, I used to go Shakhtar's CL game and some league games when my schedule was available. So the league is most of the time between Dinamo and Shakhtar but I like Shakhtar more. When I was there, their manager was Mircea Lucescu.

Who is Mircea Lucescu? For Turkish football fans, he is known for his UEFA Super Cup and League Title with Galatasaray and League Title with Besiktas. Then he moved to Shakhtar. Shakhtar president was and still is a shady businessman Rinat Akhmedov, pretty rich man. He used to own half of the city's properties, not sure if it is still like this after Russia's invasion. Anyway...

What Shakthar has now has been created back in those days, under the partnership of Akhmedov and Lucescu. It worked really well, they were buying cheap players from Brasil, Africa, and polishing them, putting in the market in CL, selling with high profit.

What I am trying to say is what Shakhtar has now is a heritage of Lucescu. Fonseca is a successor but it doesn't change the fact that he is a very capable manager can do good at Everton. It is pretty sure he can give more than Fat's giving at least. If Everton is not going to convince more capable manager in the summer then he is a good one to capture. He is charismatic, young, has an attacking-minded tactical approach and understanding of modern football. Definitely worth to try.