Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Honestly, I've never understood the point of it all. 

surprised by that matt, very pessimistic which is out of character for you.  i believe they started as a competition, feats of strength and such.  in modern times i believe they are meant to be a coming together of all the nations to compete together but also celebrate togetherness, peace, and world harmony.

 

i like that all these fringe sports get the big time treatment, bobsled, luge, skiing, they're all fun to watch, but really you will only be able to view them (other than live) at the olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

surprised by that matt, very pessimistic which is out of character for you.  i believe they started as a competition, feats of strength and such.  in modern times i believe they are meant to be a coming together of all the nations to compete together but also celebrate togetherness, peace, and world harmony.

 

i like that all these fringe sports get the big time treatment, bobsled, luge, skiing, they're all fun to watch, but really you will only be able to view them (other than live) at the olympics.

That's the only reason I show any interest, but even then a lot of it seems like a token effort. Dunno, just never really bothered by any of the Olympics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Matt said:

That's the only reason I show any interest, but even then a lot of it seems like a token effort. Dunno, just never really bothered by any of the Olympics

could be UK is pretty terrible at the winter sports so it doesn't get the press it does over here in the states.  i think you guys do well in the summer though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

could be UK is pretty terrible at the winter sports so it doesn't get the press it does over here in the states.  i think you guys do well in the summer though.

Wouldn't really know to be honest :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i think you guys do well in the summer though.

We do indeed! I love the Olympics, both of them (but Summer more). We were unlucky to miss out on our first medal today, Elise Christie is world record holder in this distance but got a poor lane draw after being bumped in her semi-final; still got two more chances though in the 1000m and 1500m. She deserves something from the Olympics, she's a multiple world champ but was very controversially disqualified in all three distances four years ago. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i like that all these fringe sports get the big time treatment, bobsled, luge, skiing, they're all fun to watch, but really you will only be able to view them (other than live) at the olympics.

We actually get pretty good coverage of those over here all the time Mark, a fair bit on live TV and a lot more via the BBC iPlayer:).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Full of admiration for lots of these athletes. So many high risk sports in winter Olympics.  Enjoyed a few skiing holidays... recommnd it to anyone. 

i grew up skiing every weekend, i love it.  did a few ski holidays as well with my brother and friends, great workout to burn off what you'll drink that evening :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, johnh said:

Goes in the same bin as basketball, hockey and tennis, plus anything involving horses.

With you on the horses John (not literally obviously:P). Basketball isn'tt a TV sport for me but I used to go to live games often and enjoyed them a lot; hockey I'll watch if I've nothing better to do and it's GB or England playing (nothing to do with the women's skirts, honest:unsure:) and likewise tennis. A Federer/Nadal/Djokovic match I'd not be bothered but a grand slam/olympic/Davis Cup final involving a Brit I'd certainly follow online if not actually watch. Strangely though I lived in Wimbledon for a decade I only went to the tennis once and (like basketball and probably many other sports) it's much more impressive in the flesh than on TV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, johnh said:

I'm with Matt.  Any and all winter sports leave me cold. (No pun intended)  Goes in the same bin as basketball, hockey and tennis, plus anything involving horses.

It's all the olympics for me, winter or otherwise. Impressive but uninteresting for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2018 at 01:20, markjazzbassist said:

The olympic athletes of Russia thing is so farcical.  They should have been banned completely.

I can't disagree more. You can ban a country and athletes that have broke the rules, but you can't ban all athletes of Russian nationality, especially those who did nothing wrong other than being born in Russia and competing for their motherland. It's just as discriminational as being black in Colonial America. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I can't disagree more. You can ban a country and athletes that have broke the rules, but you can't ban all athletes of Russian nationality, especially those who did nothing wrong other than being born in Russia and competing for their motherland. It's just as discriminational as being black in Colonial America. 

have you done any research on this?  it was institutional doping, it was from the highest levels down.  i'ts not a few guys taking steroids, its every doctor assisting and aiding all their athletes to dope.  there are a ton of documentaries out there on it, i recommend watching some.  might change your mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

have you done any research on this?  it was institutional doping, it was from the highest levels down.  i'ts not a few guys taking steroids, its every doctor assisting and aiding all their athletes to dope.  there are a ton of documentaries out there on it, i recommend watching some.  might change your mind.

Oh come on mate. Doping is massively used in sports these days. Not only by Russians but by many top athletes from all countries. It's just that some get caught, and others not. All these sanctions against Russia are part of the global world against Russia politics and are much more related to the Crimean crisis than sports actually. Going back to topic - athletes are tested before and after the race. If someone get positive test - disqualify him. If all Russian athletes get positive dope tests - disqualify them all. Simple as that! It's ridiculous to forbid anyone to compete, only because he's Russian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think it’s safe to say Christie is a choker now. Another crash. 

Twelve World Championship medals and seventeen European Champ medals, fourteen golds across both suggests otherwise; but she just can't seem to do it at the Olympics. Shame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Twelve World Championship medals and seventeen European Champ medals, fourteen golds across both suggests otherwise; but she just can't seem to do it at the Olympics. Shame. 

So the one that really matters. Hence, she’s a choker. 

We did win our first gold today though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MikeO said:

No way she was going to get a medal anyway, nowhere near recovered from the fall.

I’d pull her Olympic funding tbh. Give it to someone who might actually win a medal next time. 

I’m ruthless though :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’d pull her Olympic funding tbh. Give it to someone who might actually win a medal next time. 

I’m ruthless though :lol: 

I wonder why she doesn't try long track? She obviously has the speed and long track being "non-contact" would seem to suit her better; I suppose when she started it's because we don't have any tracks over here, but now she (and others) have got the sport a higher profile people could use their funding to train abroad. Luckily you're not in charge of handing out the moolah Mark:P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×