IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

I think Newty hit on the head. 

They already have a list of targets ready to go. They just want to run the rule over the players we have here at the moment, to make sure their targets are the correct upgrades and not just spending for the sake of it.

we don’t need a massive overhaul, just  a few tweaks to start with.

9 hours ago, Newty82 said:

Most our players aren't busy this summer.

Silva will be able to speak to the vast majority of them over the coming weeks. From that he'll know who has a desire to stay, who has a desire to move...plus he'll have a bit of an idea of who he wants here.

Thing is, unless someone really wants to go, or unless Silva absolutely knows who he wants to get rid of, we can't expect too much to happen until he gets them on the training ground and tests them out with his methods.

Brands and Silva will already have a list of incoming players in mind, they just need to match them up to requirements.

I think there will be a lot of frantic business being done in the PL once the WC has finished.

But talking to them is all well and good. Brands talks specifically about looking at the current squad come pre-season. 

Agree with the above but McCarthy must go, he chose Ireland over us by playing when told by us he was still unfit and did more damage. Even if that were not the case the fact is he will never be the player he was due to his injury problems.

Niasse is also not up to the standard we require, thanks for the goals and good luck in the future. Cant have him taking a place of someone better who could do a job for us.

9 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

For what it's worth, here's my shot at recommending players to leave:

Robles: He's been a good player for us, despite being treated shabbily by Koeman and being backup since Pickford arrived. He deserves his chance to be a #1 somewhere else, and I wish him nothing but good wishes.

Stekelenburg: Frankly, the only reason he joined the team is because both he and Koeman are Dutch. What a waste of money. It's time to go.

Martina: We should never have brought him in in the first place. Time to leave.

Williams: He was supposed to be our leader at the back, but he's had a hard time this season. I put that down mostly to lack of motivation due to a lack of confidence in our managers. Too much water has now passed under the bridge, though, and I think he should leave.

Mirallas: It's easy to forget he's still on our books. A poor attitude ruined his chances to make a comeback, and he should most definitely leave.

Bolasie: Over-rated, in my opinion, and not of the caliber we need. Bring back Lookman.

Garbutt, Browning, Pennington: We all want the youngsters to succeed, but they really haven't. It's time to go.

Rooney: For his own good, really, he should accept an offer in the US or in China. The only reason he would play in our first team is nostalgia, and that's not conducive to success.

Sandro: I'm in two minds over this guy. Given the chance by an inspiring manager, I do believe he'll prove to be valuable. His track record over the last year has hardly been inspiring, though. Maybe leave, maybe not.

As for players who most definitely NOT leave:

McCarthy: The injuries are not his fault. We supported Coleman through his leg break, and we should do the same for McCarthy. He's the leader we need in midfield.

Niasse: As a super-sub, there are few better right now. His attitude is contagious.

Jagielka and Baines: The younger players can learn a lot from their experience and loyalty. There's little point in pushing them out.

Klassen: He has a lot to prove. You don't get to be captain of Ajax, especially at his age, without being something special.

Calvert-Lewin: He's like ivy growing in the garden. The first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps, and the third year it leaps. I'm predicting this will be his breakthrough year.

Great post Steve agree with absolutely everything  you say aside from Bolasi. I'd like to see him given 6 months to a year under the new manager as a last chance before he is told to leave (I'd still expect us to bring in a winger though)

15 hours ago, nogs said:

But talking to them is all well and good. Brands talks specifically about looking at the current squad come pre-season. 

Yep. And as I said previously, we can't expect too much to happen until Silva gets them on the training pitch and sees how they fit with his methods.

There's no other way really.

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Absolutely made up to hear how he wants to promote the academy players.

Something that has riled me for years is how we sign 'squad fillers' who offer nothing exceptional but command a fee and big wage, while the youth miss out on those first team opportunities.

The most recent, and perfect example bring Martina.

I don't get why clubs do it do often.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Great post Steve agree with absolutely everything  you say aside from Bolasi. I'd like to see him given 6 months to a year under the new manager as a last chance before he is told to leave (I'd still expect us to bring in a winger though)

Sorry but he needs to go, he's always been unpredictable, and when he came back from injury played without any commitment drifting around the pitch, loosing the ball and not tracking back, you can see Baines doesn't trust him and that results on Baines not willling to go forward because he knows he's going to be left out of position.

I would also add Besic to the list, he doesn't do anything Benni can't do, and Benni will only improve with more experience.

If Stek goes, is Hewlett good enough to be second choice or do we need to recruit?

Bennie and Besic are complete opposites though. Benin is a safe, very defensive player. Besic is more of a risk taking box to box player. 

Maybe Benni can improve and modify his game to become more forward thinking, but I would think he is always going to be a very defensive player.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

That last comment.

We could buy this player, but be careful as we have a young player coming through and it could be bad for him.

wow! Love this bloke. He is t looming for a five minute fat burn, he’s looking at the long term healthy approach.

this for me too.  i was elated when i read that, finally some LONG TERM VISION with this club instead of patching up the holes and hoping for the best.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

this for me too.  i was elated when i read that, finally some LONG TERM VISION with this club instead of patching up the holes and hoping for the best.

Just highlights further how bad a decision it was to give contracts to Koeman and Walsh, they were given millions to improve the team but spent it with out plan of what they wanted the direction of the team to go in.

• 2 weeks later...