Sign in to follow this  
Louis

Marcel Brands (DoF)

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

Wondering if he would have any say on who becomes Manager.

I would say so as it says they will now begin on bringing in a new manager on the last line? Could be a token line though.

As much as I am 50/50 with Walsh and his signings, recommending Allardyce as manager was the nail in his coffin. You dont get this club now get out for a proper DoF who will hopefully have a far better understanding of the role and this club.

3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

great news.  not to mention in 2 days we've had a board re-structure, DOF and manager fired and new DOF brought in.  old everton that would take 2 weeks!

Some might say its 6 months too late ;)

Joking aside though it shows they have a clear plan. No fucking around, we mean business this summer.

Manager in the next 2 weeks I reckon.

Well this is all going swimmingly!! I still stand by my belief Moshiri has to shoulder part of the blame for bringing Koeman and Walsh, then Allardyce, to the club in the first place. But you have to respect the decisive way he's going about sorting it. 

On the face of it, Brands is a far, far superior appointment to Walsh, who I think was promoted beyond his ability. Brands has the track record moulding whole clubs from the football side, not just making signings, which Walsh completely fucked up on during his time here anyway. I'm also excited by his apparent commitment to youth development - exactly what we should be prioritising, and why our last two managers were completely the wrong fit for us. 

Be very interesting to see who they bring in as head coach/manager now. If Brands is going to get full remit as DoF, it has to be someone operating more as a head coach than traditional manager - a real DoF is the boss. Would someone like Silva be happy in that role? 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

Well this is all going swimmingly!! I still stand by my belief Moshiri has to shoulder part of the blame for bringing Koeman and Walsh, then Allardyce, to the club in the first place. But you have to respect the decisive way he's going about sorting it. 

On the face of it, Brands is a far, far superior appointment to Walsh, who I think was promoted beyond his ability. Brands has the track record moulding whole clubs from the football side, not just making signings, which Walsh completely fucked up on during his time here anyway. I'm also excited by his apparent commitment to youth development - exactly what we should be prioritising, and why our last two managers were completely the wrong fit for us. 

Be very interesting to see who they bring in as head coach/manager now. If Brands is going to get full remit as DoF, it has to be someone operating more as a head coach than traditional manager - a real DoF is the boss. Would someone like Silva be happy in that role? 

He chose to manage Watford, which cycles through managers near annually and doesn't give them personnel decision making ability.

1 hour ago, nogs said:

I would expect Silva would be fine with it as I would have expected him to work in that type of structure when he was in Portugal / Greece.

21 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

He chose to manage Watford, which cycles through managers near annually and doesn't give them personnel decision making ability.

spot on, also he said when he went to watford he preferred the continental approach of having a DOF.

25 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I would expect Silva would be fine with it as I would have expected him to work in that type of structure when he was in Portugal / Greece.

I just wonder if his short tenures at Lisbon and Olympiakos had anything to do with power struggles. 

24 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I’m sure he will have a say in players. Let’s get lookman and Henry in/back and sort out our attack. I would deffo play just one holding mid and gilfi alongside a playmaker 

Hell yes, the hope of playing fast attacking football, its so alluring. 

Not the dross under "it" we had to suffer this season.

4 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I think one of them was. They said he refused to wear a club suite as the reason they sacked him 

he didn't wear the club crest jacket in the cup final he won.  sounds more like they wanted to get rid and needed an excuse, he won the cup who gives a shit about fashion

Rangnick would have been the ultimate get, he seems to have it all (playing style, coach and player type) down to a science for long term success, but he was a dream too far. 

Brands is a very good appointment, large improvement on Walsh (Imo).  Not sure what he's like with coaching appointments but we should see some very smart player purchases and further improvement in the youth academy. Hopefully the Dutch connection helps to get de vrij to come on a free transfer.

I loved this snippet from another article

And he says he's told Moshiri he'll be working in all aspects of the club: "From scouting to youth training to what the kits look like"

Seems to be a very thorough and dedicated bloke, very hopeful he'll make a huge difference

Did you hear Alan Brazil the other day backing his mate up? Graham beacroft was giving sam a right going over then mentioned brands and what his experience is with PSV. Brazil goes “really? What have they won lately?” Beacroft goes “err the league this year” 😂

6 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Did you hear Alan Brazil the other day backing his mate up? Graham beacroft was giving sam a right going over then mentioned brands and what his experience is with PSV. Brazil goes “really? What have they won lately?” Beacroft goes “err the league this year” 😂

Allardyce has won fuck all, so I’m not sure why Brazil was even bothering to bring that up. 

The defence of the man from all and sundry is embarrassing. 

All the reports are that Brands will have a big say on the manager (as he should) and that Silva isnt a done deal. If Silva comes I would expect it would be because of Mohsiri and I would have expected him already in truth. 

What we dont need is another Koeman/Walsh where they clearly didnt see eye to eye.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

All the reports are that Brands will have a big say on the manager (as he should) and that Silva isnt a done deal. If Silva comes I would expect it would be because of Mohsiri and I would have expected him already in truth. 

What we dont need is another Koeman/Walsh where they clearly didnt see eye to eye.

I hope all that is true.  I want brands to get his man not moshiri.  Let’s do it the right way this time.

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

honestly the stuff that excited me most is the academy work he does and the emphasis on hiring the best training ground staff.  sounds like a smart guy.

Um, that sounds like every DoF, who doesn't want to get fired, doing his job to me. I'm glad we're making changes in the management department, but I'm not praising anyone before I can evaluate the results of their work.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

The win 10-0 or lose 5-6 mentality is not your thing eh? 😂

Haha, no. Though, I'd say Eddie Howe has some of that mentality, but I think is a better manager than Bosz and a better fit.

My understanding, albeit completely from others, is also that Bosz was quickly shown out of his depth at Dortmund, hence getting quite an early sack. 

Nice words, very nice words...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcel-brands-outlines-what-everton-14697330

"The priority in the first month is the first team and to be ready for the start of the next Premier League season," Brands said.

"The [overall plan] has to be long-term, though. That’s also the goal I was given in the conversations I had with the Club.

"What the people around the Club will see is new signings but behind-the-scenes there will be a lot of work and, of course, the first thing is a new manager.

"I think it is important that he wants to work in the new philosophy, the new strategy of how we want to work with a Director of Football.

"I think it is important that he creates the environment for the long-term, and I think it is important that he is a modern coach.

"If you think about what Everton’s plans are, I think a modern coach will fit into that profile.

"Then his philosophy and how he wants to play is important. I think it has to be a coach who wants to work with young players."Brands added: "I have watched several Everton games and I have looked at the players. I also saw some who were on loan to other clubs but if we are going to take decisions about players it is important the manager is involved because he is going to work with them every day.

"I will take care of the long-term strategy but the first job now is to find a manager as soon as possible and straight away go to work with the squad."

Thought that overall he seems a likable character and talks sense.

I like the way he talks about Everton needing a 'modern' manager. And also one that wants to bring through academy players.

This philosophy for me is vital. Everton as a club are not at the moment going to be able to bring in high profile players. The best way we can progress as a club, in my opinion, is to invest in plenty of youth players and hope we can unearth a couple of gems. A slightly Chelsea-esc policy, however instead of doing this to make a profit we need to be doing it to solidify our team with young, quality players who can grow into (hopefully) superstars. .

The speed that he seems to want to move at this pre-season is refreshing, as the sooner we can get everything in place the sooner we can start cracking on.