IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Thought that overall he seems a likable character and talks sense.

I like the way he talks about Everton needing a 'modern' manager. And also one that wants to bring through academy players.

This philosophy for me is vital. Everton as a club are not at the moment going to be able to bring in high profile players. The best way we can progress as a club, in my opinion, is to invest in plenty of youth players and hope we can unearth a couple of gems. A slightly Chelsea-esc policy, however instead of doing this to make a profit we need to be doing it to solidify our team with young, quality players who can grow into (hopefully) superstars. .

The speed that he seems to want to move at this pre-season is refreshing, as the sooner we can get everything in place the sooner we can start cracking on.

All very well to talk about modern managers. The last time around, we hired a dinosaur. Actions please, not words. 

21 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

pretty impressive stat 50% of the starters at PSV were academy players.  feeling encouraged after reading that.

Dutch league is weak. PSV and ajax can challenge for the title with youngsters, however they won't survive in PL witch such a lineup.

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

It's all relevant to the talent pool available.

Still, it is not something impossible to do. Check the local boys, widen your scouting range and try to find talented foreign kids as well.

I remember seasonal academies of Arsenal, Man United, Barça in Turkey. They are gathering kids and training them for the summer and inviting the talented ones. It is about club's policy. It doesn't require a large budget for junior coaching or to scout them in nearby countries. All in all, it is a long-term investment but I would love to see Brand working on that. Everton, as a club, is very suitable for this.

12 hours ago, Shukes said:

Love the fact that Lookman finished second only to Robert Lewandowski in goals to minutes in the Bundesliga!

ok he only played 11 games, but that’s impressive for a young loanee.

11 games is a big enough sample size imo

Its interesting that he is reported to be looking at trimming the wage bill. Realistically our big earners are the ones that have come to the club in the last 2 years, or since Martinez was sacked. You would have to think that means Rooney is on his way out, Mirallas and probably Williams as well but who else would be a big earner that we would move on? Klaassen, Siggy, Cenk, Jags, Baines, Coleman, Pickford, Keane, Gana & Schneiderlin are unlikely to be going anywhere. The rest are kids. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

Its interesting that he is reported to be looking at trimming the wage bill. Realistically our big earners are the ones that have come to the club in the last 2 years, or since Martinez was sacked. You would have to think that means Rooney is on his way out, Mirallas and probably Williams as well but who else would be a big earner that we would move on? Klaassen, Siggy, Cenk, Jags, Baines, Coleman, Pickford, Keane, Gana & Schneiderlin are unlikely to be going anywhere. The rest are kids. 

The big wage bill comes from having an over inflated number of first team players. One of his aims is to reduce the squad size, which goes hand in hand with reducing the wage bill anyway...its not necessarily a case of aim for the highest earners first.

I think selling Rooney would take a huge amount off anyway, if his reported wages are true.

I think most of the rest of more senior players will be in similiar earnings brackets. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

He wants to open opportunities for youth, so Bolasie springs to my mind.  Cuco? Probably agree with Schneiderlin, think we can cover with what we've got and have a few young CDM's.  Keeping McCarthy and/or Besic probably dependent on Schneiderlin.

Apparently Klaasen might be going, on loan, to Besiktas, so that would clear his for the year.

9 hours ago, Newty82 said:

The big wage bill comes from having an over inflated number of first team players. One of his aims is to reduce the squad size, which goes hand in hand with reducing the wage bill anyway...its not necessarily a case of aim for the highest earners first.

I think selling Rooney would take a huge amount off anyway, if his reported wages are true.

I think most of the rest of more senior players will be in similiar earnings brackets. 

Do we have that many first teamers? We have certain positions that are over filled but I wouldnt say we have a massive squad, especially if we do aim to loan any of the youngsters out such as DCL or Kenny.

7 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

He wants to open opportunities for youth, so Bolasie springs to my mind.  Cuco? Probably agree with Schneiderlin, think we can cover with what we've got and have a few young CDM's.  Keeping McCarthy and/or Besic probably dependent on Schneiderlin.

Apparently Klaasen might be going, on loan, to Besiktas, so that would clear his for the year.

I had completely forgotten about the first two. Maybe I was wishing that it was all a nightmare and they didnt actually play for us! They would probably he number 1 and 2 on my list of players to get rid of!

I would be surprised if Klaassen was loaned out though, either play him or sell him. Even if he did go on loan we would probably pay a far whack of his wages still.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Do we have that many first teamers? We have certain positions that are over filled but I wouldnt say we have a massive squad, especially if we do aim to loan any of the youngsters out such as DCL or Kenny.

We have 39 registered Senior players. 10 of which were out on loan. No doubt we will be paying varying amounts of their salaries

The size of the squad has been spoken about by many people. It needs trimming and more quality added.

My main point being that if we look to reduce the wage bill we don't automatically look at the highest earners.

I think we are looking to add more quality over quantity, which means we have to reduce the squad size. We could sell off 15 of the 39 and free up salary for a few higher quality players that would add a lot more value.

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

I take a bit of what I said back...it seems my views on senior squad size are a little out of date!

I've just looked at the senior squad sizes of PL clubs for 17/18....oh my shit!!!

Some of the numbers are crazy. I get that there are a number of promoted youths in there, but still...unbelievable!!!

PL Senior Squads 17/18

yeah it needs to be trimmed, wage bill too, more need to leave than come in.

5 hours ago, Newty82 said:

We have 39 registered Senior players. 10 of which were out on loan. No doubt we will be paying varying amounts of their salaries

The size of the squad has been spoken about by many people. It needs trimming and more quality added.

My main point being that if we look to reduce the wage bill we don't automatically look at the highest earners.

I think we are looking to add more quality over quantity, which means we have to reduce the squad size. We could sell off 15 of the 39 and free up salary for a few higher quality players that would add a lot more value.

2 hours ago, Newty82 said:

I take a bit of what I said back...it seems my views on senior squad size are a little out of date!

I've just looked at the senior squad sizes of PL clubs for 17/18....oh my shit!!!

Some of the numbers are crazy. I get that there are a number of promoted youths in there, but still...unbelievable!!!

PL Senior Squads 17/18

I look at the size and I dont think its that bad especially when you consider its very like Robles and Mirallas will go. Its mainly central midfield where the problem lies. 

We essentially have 11 players (incl McCarthy) who would ideally like to play in DM/CM/AM roles. I think we can easily lose 3 players (Besic/Schneiderlin/Geuye, Rooney and a loan for Beni/Vlasic/Dowell) but in the other positions we would look light without getting someone in but that could also be covered off by a kid if they are good enough (eg Connolly / Robinson).

We should be prepared to go far in all 3 competitions its just a case of whether you are prepared to trust a kid or a more experienced, and highly paid player instead.

12 hours ago, Newty82 said:

PL Senior Squads 17/18

I'm very surprised at how comparatively small is Man United's squad.