IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

11 minutes ago, rubecula said:

I am not yet convinced of the director of football but the enthusiasm of the rest of you is rubbing off on me.

Same as myself I like manager and chief scout system of recruiting players, but having said that I’m not against what’s happening here I think Moshiri definitely needs someone other than a manager to advise and act for him on team affairs. 

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Good!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/05/everton-marcel-brands-squad-reduction-sell-before-buy

I’m as excited about who we are going to sell as to who we are signing - that’s how poorly I rate some of our current squad.

Squad of 25-30 and we have 38 now.  That’s at least 8 probably 10 if he wants to bring in a couple.  Well we finally found a guy willing to get rid of the dead wood.

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

It wasn’t so long ago that the phrase “sell to buy” invoked howls of protest. Now we’re delighted. This change of heart alone confirms our low opinion of the current squad. 

I don't think it's "sell to buy" as such, more "sell to make room for new signings and youth".

The old sell to buy was because we were skint, now it's to move forward.

Hopefully.

8 hours ago, c1982 said:

Good!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/05/everton-marcel-brands-squad-reduction-sell-before-buy

I’m as excited about who we are going to sell as to who we are signing - that’s how poorly I rate some of our current squad.

I honestly think the real reason is that brands will know that this squad needs a good old Roman decimation..... he well knows that there are cowards and slackers in the team.

The culture of this team needs dramatically changing. 

3 hours ago, Bill said:

"a lot are no longer young"  i like that quote, i think that would mean to offload Rooney, Jags, Williams and Baines for starters.  I'd like to see Funes Mori, Holgate, Besic, Vlasic and a few others given a run out.

Jags was one of our better centerbacks and Baines was one of our better players still, imo. We can't be fooling around when trying to meet the 25 man squad limit. This isn'tt Besic and Funes Mori's level. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Getting a load out to bring in 3 or 4 isn’t a bad thing really. I just worry the few we bring in won’t be the ones we really want. 

Depends who leaves for me, as much as who we bring in. Still, 12-16 faces changing is a looot of change in a team. Makes me nervous. 

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Depends who leaves for me, as much as who we bring in. Still, 12-16 faces changing is a looot of change in a team. Makes me nervous. 

As long as Bolasie is one of them I’m not too fussed who else goes :lol: .

I’m willing to put my trust in Brands and Silva until they give me reason not to. 

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

I get that.

But for me, getting rid of excess baggage and only bringing in a 3 or 4 key targets is a much better approach than bringing in whoever and whatever just for the sake of it.

I'd hope we have a much more calculated approach this time. I think some harsh lessons have been learnt.

Bring in new manager. Focus on a smaller but talented squad. Finish 5th. Be overwhelmed by Europa schedule. Finish 11th. Fire manager. Sounds familiar. 

I’m with Matt on this. We don’t need wholesale change. Neither do we need to cut the numbers too much. Evolution is generally better than revolution. 

Also, let’s not just focus on talent: motivation is very important, too. I read that Schneiderlin is a great player on his day. He had the season to prove this and too often was simply disinterested. Every day should be his day when it comes to effort and motivation. That’s it: get rid. 

When it comes to motivation, we need a squad of Niasses. 

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The only bad thing about needing to clear the decks before we bring in players is that I don't think anything is going to happen quickly - I fear we'll miss out on key targets, and our incoming business won't be done until very late in the window. Not helpful when the window shuts before the season starts now!

I thought this as well. Realistically I cant see how Brands/Silva could cut players until they have seen them in training. I suppose they could replay the match tapes etc but as we know some of these players have been a shadow of what they can be and a new manager can get the best out of them (instead of the worse). 

If we do have to wait for them to be back in training, we will have roughly 4-5 weeks to decide who stays and who goes. I think training normally starts in the early part of July with the first match a couple of weeks in, plus the window closing on the 9th August. I dont think the world cup ends until mid July so it wouldnt surprise me if some players arent even back until a week before the window shuts. 

I get why the FA have moved the window forward but maybe they should have thought about starting it next year instead!

18 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I thought this as well. Realistically I cant see how Brands/Silva could cut players until they have seen them in training. I suppose they could replay the match tapes etc but as we know some of these players have been a shadow of what they can be and a new manager can get the best out of them (instead of the worse). 

If we do have to wait for them to be back in training, we will have roughly 4-5 weeks to decide who stays and who goes. I think training normally starts in the early part of July with the first match a couple of weeks in, plus the window closing on the 9th August. I dont think the world cup ends until mid July so it wouldnt surprise me if some players arent even back until a week before the window shuts. 

I get why the FA have moved the window forward but maybe they should have thought about starting it next year instead!

silva has been in the league the past 2 years, he played against most of them.  the fringe ones sure i get that, but the starters i would think he already has a good idea.  also unsy will give him his opinion, i would hope they would ask him since he was caretaker, he will tell them who the bad apples are and that should be self explanatory.  there are then a couple that are out of contract, that's easy.  honestly i don't think it will be that hard losing 8 guys.

Contracts Up - Grant, Joel.  MLS - Rooney.  Sell with making no impact - Galloway, Browning, Tarashaj.  That's 6 right there that were already leaving and/or will make no difference to the team (the 3 youngsters leaving).