IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

silva has been in the league the past 2 years, he played against most of them.  the fringe ones sure i get that, but the starters i would think he already has a good idea.  also unsy will give him his opinion, i would hope they would ask him since he was caretaker, he will tell them who the bad apples are and that should be self explanatory.  there are then a couple that are out of contract, that's easy.  honestly i don't think it will be that hard losing 8 guys.

Contracts Up - Grant, Joel.  MLS - Rooney.  Sell with making no impact - Galloway, Browning, Tarashaj.  That's 6 right there that were already leaving and/or will make no difference to the team (the 3 youngsters leaving).  

Managing against a player and then managing them are completely different things. Some will really want a player than fits into their system and some wont. Some bad apples under a previous manager might really get on with the new manager. 

You are right about the players out. You can add Besic to that list too and not feel a loss compared to last season but other than Rooney they arent going to make a difference to the books which is the point he has made. You could lose all of those players (bar Rooney) and that probably would only match the wages of Carvalho.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

As long as Bolasie is one of them I’m not too fussed who else goes :lol: .

I’m willing to put my trust in Brands and Silva until they give me reason not to. 

I’m trying to have the same mentality, but reading 12 players getting moved on is worrying, without knowing who is set for the chop

4 hours ago, Newty82 said:

I get that.

But for me, getting rid of excess baggage and only bringing in a 3 or 4 key targets is a much better approach than bringing in whoever and whatever just for the sake of it.

I'd hope we have a much more calculated approach this time. I think some harsh lessons have been learnt.

I’d like to see it done in stages; 4 in Max, 5-6 out over the next 2 windows. Doesn’t have to be wholesale changes/clearout in one window 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

???  he said nothing about targets or bringing in new players, he said the squad needs to get smaller first.  do you not agree with that?

12 players set to be moved on is mass change, that’s before any players are brought in. That worries me, as I said, not knowing who’s on that list 

42 minutes ago, c1982 said:

This is a squad full of very average players, not changing would make me nervous!

See above mate. Not against change, but do it over a couple windows instead of one. Plus, I think our squad is better than most give it credit. 

If we did finish fifth next season there would be a whole summer to get more bodies in. In any case there are several players who won't be here a year from now. I also find it a bit silly to keep players just in case we finish fifth. Which players would you keep just in case? Schneiderlin? Williams? Funes Mori? Bolasie? Martina? Mirallas?

There's going to be a totally new way of playing so keeping players not fit for that style would basically be a waste of (lots of) money. Schneiderlin alone costs about 6 million per year on wages. The club could save tens of millions in wages next season by ridding of the unneeded players. That money goes a long way towards signing useful players next summer.

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’m trying to have the same mentality, but reading 12 players getting moved on is worrying, without knowing who is set for the chop

I’d like to see it done in stages; 4 in Max, 5-6 out over the next 2 windows. Doesn’t have to be wholesale changes/clearout in one window 

12 players set to be moved on is mass change, that’s before any players are brought in. That worries me, as I said, not knowing who’s on that list 

See above mate. Not against change, but do it over a couple windows instead of one. Plus, I think our squad is better than most give it credit. 

Seriously, 5 or 6 out in the next 2 windows and max 4 in? That wouldn't drop the squad numbers practically at all. If we count Robles already gone and Rooney probably leaving then which three or four players would let go and which would you leave? Which of these would you keep: Martina, Williams, Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Bolasie, Funes Mori, McCarthy, Garbutt, Browning, Pennington, Niasse, Besic, Klaassen, Jagielka, Baines, Keane? You have to pick 14 (that's four more to be let go in addition to Robles and Rooney).

Bear in mind several of those players make around 100kpw, or about 5 million per year. Keeping four of them just in case costs the club 20 million for next season.

1. Robles

2. Martina

3. Williams

4. Funes Mori

5. Schneiderlin

6. Mirallas

7. Rooney

8. Bolasie

9. Niasse

10. Garbutt

11. Sandro

12. Stekelenburg

We would be much better off replacing this lot with 4 or 5 top quality players and that’s without mentioning Klaassen, Besic and others that haven’t done anything of note in EFC colours.

17 minutes ago, c1982 said:

1. Robles

2. Martina

3. Williams

4. Funes Mori

5. Schneiderlin

6. Mirallas

7. Rooney

8. Bolasie

9. Niasse

10. Garbutt

11. Sandro

12. Stekelenburg

We would be much better off replacing this lot with 4 or 5 top quality players and that’s without mentioning Klaassen, Besic and others that haven’t done anything of note in EFC colours.

I doubt many of these are adding to the dressing room either other than Rooney and maybe the keepers.

53 minutes ago, c1982 said:

1. Robles

2. Martina

3. Williams

4. Funes Mori

5. Schneiderlin

6. Mirallas

7. Rooney

8. Bolasie

9. Niasse

10. Garbutt

11. Sandro

12. Stekelenburg

I agree totally. We all know who needs to go. I’m sure they do aswell. I think this brands is on the ball 

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

1. Robles

2. Martina

3. Williams

4. Funes Mori

5. Schneiderlin

6. Mirallas

7. Rooney

8. Bolasie

9. Niasse

10. Garbutt

11. Sandro

12. Stekelenburg

You've also got Mangala, who is counted as one of the 38, Galloway, Pennington, Browning.

If it came to a 'shoot out', I'd whack the above 4 on before some of the others.

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

I would keep Schneiderlin, I think he will be the player we all want him to be under a proper manager like Silva.

You don't need to worry about that from what Silva has already said I think that will be a given, he also highlighted with Schneiderlin playing the holding role on his own which suits him it allows the other two mids to be more attacking, so on that basis it doesn't leave Gana a role.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

You don't need to worry about that from what Silva has already said I think that will be a given, he also highlighted with Schneiderlin playing the holding role on his own which suits him it allows the other two mids to be more attacking, so on that basis it doesn't leave Gana a role.

True, he also said he wants cover / competition for each position so maybe Gana will be that competition for Schneiderlin. I hope so.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

for the first 5 matches it doesn't, then when he realizes how shit morgan is and puts worldie gana in he will be hailed as a tactical genius.  gana will win POTY and carry senegal to the ACON trophy.  he will come back recharged and lead us to win the FA cup slaughtering the red shite 4-0 while klopp is fired.  fast forward 15 years his son has emerged from the academy at the age of 18 and leads the first team to the premier league title.  the next campaign we win the CL with young gana blitzkrieg'ing every midfield in europe.  

Gana for life

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

for the first 5 matches it doesn't, then when he realizes how shit morgan is and puts worldie gana in he will be hailed as a tactical genius.  gana will win POTY and carry senegal to the ACON trophy.  he will come back recharged and lead us to win the FA cup slaughtering the red shite 4-0 while klopp is fired.  fast forward 15 years his son has emerged from the academy at the age of 18 and leads the first team to the premier league title.  the next campaign we win the CL with young gana blitzkrieg'ing every midfield in europe.  

Gana for life

The only realistic part of that is waiting over 15 years to win the title!!!

😂😂

13 hours ago, Makis said:

Seriously, 5 or 6 out in the next 2 windows and max 4 in? That wouldn't drop the squad numbers practically at all. If we count Robles already gone and Rooney probably leaving then which three or four players would let go and which would you leave? Which of these would you keep: Martina, Williams, Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Bolasie, Funes Mori, McCarthy, Garbutt, Browning, Pennington, Niasse, Besic, Klaassen, Jagielka, Baines, Keane? You have to pick 14 (that's four more to be let go in addition to Robles and Rooney).

Bear in mind several of those players make around 100kpw, or about 5 million per year. Keeping four of them just in case costs the club 20 million for next season.

Sorry, it doesn’t read very clearly, my mistake. I mean 5-6 per window, whilst bringing on 3-4. For me, that gradual change is essential. 

Martina, Mirallas, Joel, Rooney, Williams and Browning. Only because they’re either out of contract, not good enough or need to move on for their careers.

Garbutt can go next summer, because hopefully by then we’ll have found a starting LB with Baines being phased out; don’t see it happening this window. Pennington recently signed a contract extension, so he’s not going anyway. I imagine Besic will move on but I’d still like him to have a chance here. Jags has 1 more season in him, maybe 2, so he’s not going anywhere, same with Baines. Niasse has proven to be a very useful sub who chips in with important goals, Sandro and Klaassen need a chance to prove themselves. If they don’t, they go in January. 

18 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Gana for life

😂

My two bobs worth- for what it’s worth.

Robles already gone

Rooney as good as gone

That Swiss lad who’s name escapes me 

Bolasie

Williams

Mirallas

Browning

McCarthy

Martina

Garbutt 

Scneiderlin (but only if the rumours are true and he wants out)

Jagielka will just be a bit part player this season so we need to keep Mori- at least he’s left footed, Baines is on the decline also. We need a left back and a centre half desperately. We also need a driving centre mid a wide player and a back up striker.  I honestly think we’ll be bang average next season but as long as I can see a plan and us moving forward then I’ll be ok with that. Silva isn’t a miracle worker.

25 minutes ago, nogs said:

Is he saying not much will happen until Silva has had a chance to run the rule over the squad come July? I understand the logic but it leaves very little time to ship players out for the right price, nevermind make signings. 

Most our players aren't busy this summer.

Silva will be able to speak to the vast majority of them over the coming weeks. From that he'll know who has a desire to stay, who has a desire to move...plus he'll have a bit of an idea of who he wants here.

Thing is, unless someone really wants to go, or unless Silva absolutely knows who he wants to get rid of, we can't expect too much to happen until he gets them on the training ground and tests them out with his methods.

Brands and Silva will already have a list of incoming players in mind, they just need to match them up to requirements.

I think there will be a lot of frantic business being done in the PL once the WC has finished.

1 hour ago, nogs said:

Is he saying not much will happen until Silva has had a chance to run the rule over the squad come July? I understand the logic but it leaves very little time to ship players out for the right price, nevermind make signings. 

That's pretty much the message that has been sent from the off. Along with us needing to shift players before we do any incoming business. Which is why I'm a little worried about us missing out on our top targets.